* debian context updates
@ 2006-12-28  8:22 Norbert Preining
From: Norbert Preining @ 2006-12-28  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all!

I have uploadedanother repetition, this time with new package splitting:
package context:
	all the normal stuff as before
package context-nonfree
	currently only the cowfonts
package context-doc-nonfree
	all the pdf documentation from below, plus style.pdf and
	details.pdf which Hans suggested.

So the context package has changed as it now suggests both
context-nonfree and context-doc-nonfree.

The tarball for context-nonfree has changed, as it only contains the
cowfonts.

And context-doc-nonfree is new.

On Fre, 22 Dez 2006, Norbert Preining wrote:
> aleph.pdf      mfonts.pdf    mtexfont.pdf  show-dem.pdf  show-pap.pdf
> cont-eni.pdf   minstall.pdf  mtexutil.pdf  show-exa.pdf  show-pre.pdf
> cont-enp.pdf   mmakempy.pdf  mtexwork.pdf  showfont.pdf  showunic.pdf
> eppchtex.pdf   mp-cb-en.pdf  roadmap.pdf   show-gra.pdf  tiptrick.pdf
> example.pdf    mp-ch-en.pdf  setup-en.pdf  show-mag.pdf
> metafun-p.pdf  ms-cb-en.pdf  show-art.pdf  show-man.pdf
> metafun-s.pdf  mtexexec.pdf  showcase.pdf  show-not.pdf

I will upload the stuff to Debian now, as it seems pretty stable,and
etch is frozen anyway.

In the meantime, it is available at the usual place.

Best wishes

Norbert

Dr. Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at>                    Università di Siena
IPSWICH (n.)
The sound at the other end of the telephone which tells you that the
automatic exchange is working very hard but is intending not actually
to connect you this time, merely to let you know how difficult it is.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff

* Re: debian context updates
@ 2006-12-28 10:42 ` Norbert Preining
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Norbert Preining @ 2006-12-28 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all!

Bad timing ... new upstream ... why was there no notice on dev-context?

New upstream 2006-12-27 is online. context-nonfree (cow fonts) and
context-doc-nonfree stay the same.

@ 2006-12-28 11:39   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-12-28 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: debian-tex-maint

Norbert Preining wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> Bad timing ... new upstream ... why was there no notice on dev-context?

I forgot, sorry.

> New upstream 2006-12-27 is online. context-nonfree (cow fonts) and
> context-doc-nonfree stay the same.

Taco

* Re: debian context updates
@ 2006-12-28 19:28   ` Sanjoy Mahajan
From: Sanjoy Mahajan @ 2006-12-28 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Norbert,

Here's the latest description, for the debian/control file (sorry I
should have explicitly CC'ed you on the list emails revising it):

ConTeXt is a document-production system based, like LaTeX, on the TeX
typesetting system.  Whereas LaTeX insulates the writer from
typographical details, ConTeXt takes a complementary approach by
providing structured interfaces for handling typography, including
extensive support for colors, backgrounds, hyperlinks, presentations,
figure-text integration, and conditional compilation.  It gives the
user extensive control over formatting while making it easy to create
new layouts and styles without learning the TeX macro language.
ConTeXt's unified design averts the package clashes that can happen
with LaTeX.

ConTeXt also integrates MetaFun, a superset of MetaPost and a powerful
system for vector graphics.  MetaFun can be used as a stand-alone
system to produce figures, but its strength lies in enhancing ConTeXt
documents with accurate graphic elements.

ConTeXt allows the users to specify formatting commands in English,
Dutch, German, French, or Italian, and to use different typesetting
engines (PDFTeX, XeTeX, Aleph, and soon LuaTeX) without changing the
user interface.  ConTeXt is developed rapidly, often in response to
requests from the friendly user community.

* Re: debian context updates
@ 2007-01-02 20:39   ` Sanjoy Mahajan
From: Sanjoy Mahajan @ 2007-01-02 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Norbert Preining, debian-tex-maint

I'm using Ubuntu 6.10, so context_2006.12.27-1_all.deb wouldn't
install without a --force-conflicts,overwrite,depends given to dpkg
(Ubuntu still uses tetex 3.0).  With that caveat, which may explain
the buglet I saw, it mostly worked fine.

The buglet: The context formats that the package installed in
/var/lib/texmf/web2c/pdfetex are not found.  For example, "pdfetex
'&cont-en'" tries to run mktexfmt.  So I made a symlink from
/var/lib/texmf/web2c/pdfetex to /var/lib/texmf/web2c/pdftex and then
'texexec' worked fine on my current document (a 50-page mathematics
textbooklet).

I'm pretty sure the problem arose because I now use pdftex 1.40.0,
which (I think) sets the engine to pdftex, even when it is called as
pdfetex.

Not sure what the best solution is.  The symlink is a bit of a hack.
In the long run, it's good to get rid of the pdfetex/pdftex
distinction and put the context formats in web2c/pdftex/.  But that'll
break the current context distribution, because it uses pdfetex as the
engine.  So until all surrounding programs are taught to use pdftex as
the engine, this problem will occur and maybe the symlink is the
solution.

Before I did the dpkg --force..., I was trying to simulate its effect
in a custom script.  So I looked through the ctxfmtutil script and was
surprised to find that this texexec command (on line 38) worked:

   texexec --fast --make --$1 $2

where $1 is the engine and $2 is the format.  A more official syntax
would be "texexec --fast --engine=$1 --make $2" but Hans can (might
have to) correct me on that.

-Sanjoy

`Not all those who wander are lost.' (J.R.R. Tolkien)

* Re: [NTG-context] debian context updates
@ 2007-01-03  8:18     ` Norbert Preining
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Norbert Preining @ 2007-01-03  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

HI Sanjoy!

(Taking of Mike, I am not sure whether he is interested in bug reports,
he only gets all my announces since he was the first/most active tester)

On Die, 02 Jan 2007, Sanjoy Mahajan wrote:
> I'm using Ubuntu 6.10, so context_2006.12.27-1_all.deb wouldn't
> install without a --force-conflicts,overwrite,depends given to dpkg
> (Ubuntu still uses tetex 3.0).  With that caveat, which may explain
> the buglet I saw, it mostly worked fine.

Isn't texlive in ubuntu? Maybe not in 6.10.

Well all the forces are necessary, tetex and context provide some same
files in /usr/bin

> The buglet: The context formats that the package installed in
> /var/lib/texmf/web2c/pdfetex are not found.  For example, "pdfetex
> '&cont-en'" tries to run mktexfmt.  So I made a symlink from

Strange, does your texmf.cnf contain the following TEXFORMAT line:
	TEXFORMATS = .;$TEXMF/web2c/{$engine,}

> /var/lib/texmf/web2c/pdfetex to /var/lib/texmf/web2c/pdftex and then
> 'texexec' worked fine on my current document (a 50-page mathematics
> textbooklet).

(BTW, can you send me this file in private with all support stuff, I
need context test documents, I wont publish it ;-)

> I'm pretty sure the problem arose because I now use pdftex 1.40.0,
> which (I think) sets the engine to pdftex, even when it is called as
> pdfetex.

Umpf, yes. Well. If you prefer to hack everything yourself you have to
expect bad things...

> Not sure what the best solution is.  The symlink is a bit of a hack.

THere is none. Stick with pdf(e)tex as shipped by tetex.

> In the long run, it's good to get rid of the pdfetex/pdftex

This will be in TeX Live 2006...

> engine.  So until all surrounding programs are taught to use pdftex as
> the engine, this problem will occur and maybe the symlink is the
> solution.

All this will go into texlive-* 2006, as there is pdftex 1.40.0

> Before I did the dpkg --force..., I was trying to simulate its effect
> in a custom script.  So I looked through the ctxfmtutil script and was
> surprised to find that this texexec command (on line 38) worked:

No idea about this,

> `Not all those who wander are lost.' (J.R.R. Tolkien)

;-)

@ 2007-01-03  8:27       ` Karsten Heymann
From: Karsten Heymann @ 2007-01-03  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

2007/1/3, Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at>:
> On Die, 02 Jan 2007, Sanjoy Mahajan wrote:
> > I'm using Ubuntu 6.10, so context_2006.12.27-1_all.deb wouldn't
> > install without a --force-conflicts,overwrite,depends given to dpkg
> > (Ubuntu still uses tetex 3.0).  With that caveat, which may explain
> > the buglet I saw, it mostly worked fine.
>
> Isn't texlive in ubuntu? Maybe not in 6.10.

Both tetex 3 and texlive 2005 are in Ubuntu 6.10.

Yours,
Karsten

* Re: [NTG-context] debian context updates
@ 2007-01-03  8:48       ` Sanjoy Mahajan
From: Sanjoy Mahajan @ 2007-01-03  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Isn't texlive in ubuntu? Maybe not in 6.10.

It is there, but if you've upgraded from 6.06, you start and remain with
tetex.  But I've just managed to get rid of the tetex packages and
replace them with the texlive ones.  I installed the 7.04 tex-common
package (0.42) by hand , and could then install your context packages
(which need tex-common >= 0.35) without any --force.  Progress!

> (BTW, can you send me this file in private with all support stuff, I
> need context test documents, I wont publish it ;-)

It's in a pathetic state (in terms of being a decent book) right now,
but it mostly compiles and I'll fix a few glitches and send you a .tgz.
It'll soon all go on the web (in the next few weeks).

>> Not sure what the best solution is.  The symlink is a bit of a hack.
> There is none. Stick with pdf(e)tex as shipped by tetex.

(or as shipped by texlive, which is v1.30) Then I cannot test context
with the latest pdftex.  The symlink hack is working, so I'll stick with
that for the moment.

-Sanjoy

`A nation of slaves is always prepared to applaud the clemency of their
 master who, in the abuse of absolute power, does not proceed to the
 last extremes of injustice and oppression.'  (Gibbon)

* Re: [NTG-context] debian context updates
@ 2007-01-03  9:24       ` Ralf Stubner
From: Ralf Stubner @ 2007-01-03  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Norbert Preining wrote:

> Isn't texlive in ubuntu? Maybe not in 6.10.

AFAIK Ubuntu 6.10 has texlive in 'universe'. tetex is still the default,
though.

> Strange, does your texmf.cnf contain the following TEXFORMAT line:
> 	TEXFORMATS = .;$TEXMF/web2c/{$engine,}

Wasn't this a rather recent change in tex-common? In principle it would be
good if Ubuntu would ubdate their tex-common in 6.10 (AFAIK they have an
integrated update scheme). Not least because of 'TeX on Debian', which is
not yet part of Ubuntu 6.10.

cheerio
ralf

* Re: [NTG-context] debian context updates
@ 2007-01-03  9:58         ` Norbert Preining
From: Norbert Preining @ 2007-01-03  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mit, 03 Jan 2007, Ralf Stubner wrote:
> > Strange, does your texmf.cnf contain the following TEXFORMAT line:
> > 	TEXFORMATS = .;$TEXMF/web2c/{$engine,}
>
> Wasn't this a rather recent change in tex-common? In principle it would be

tex-common 0.36, 25 Oct 2006

> good if Ubuntu would ubdate their tex-common in 6.10 (AFAIK they have an
> integrated update scheme). Not least because of 'TeX on Debian', which is
> not yet part of Ubuntu 6.10.

I cannot care for this, this is up to others.

Best wishes

Norbert

Dr. Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at>                    Università di Siena
CURRY MALLET (n.)
A large wooden or rubber cub which poachers use to despatch cats or
other game which they can only sell to Indian resturants. For
particulary small cats the price obtainable is not worth the cost of
expending ammunition.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff