From: Hans Hagen <j.hagen@xs4all.nl>
	Thangalin <thangalin@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: SVG comments, transparency, and extended font styles
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2021 20:25:31 +0200	[thread overview]

On 4/3/2021 8:10 PM, Thangalin wrote:
> Issues encountered with version 2021.03.31 18:04.
>
> 1. Comments in SVG
>
> % SOF
> \startbuffer[svg]
> <svg viewBox="0 0 100 100" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg
> <http://www.w3.org/2000/svg>">
> \stopbuffer
>
> \starttext
>    \placefigure{}{\includesvgbuffer[svg][conversion=mp]}
> \stoptext
> % EOF
>
> Expected: Black circle, no border, comment lines ignored.
> Actual: Empty square.
>
> 2. Transparent stroke
>
> % SOF
> \startbuffer[svg]
> <svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg <http://www.w3.org/2000/svg>"
> version="1.1">
> <polygon fill="#eeffff" stroke="transparent" points="500,10 500,0 0,0
> 0,10" />
> </svg>
> \stopbuffer
>
> \starttext
>    \placefigure{}{\includesvgbuffer[svg][conversion=mp]}
> \stoptext
> % EOF
>
> Expected: Light cyan rectangle, no border (it's transparent).
> Actual: Light cyan rectangle with visible border.

i'll check it .. if I forget, remind me.

> 3. Inkscape font specification
>
> We discussed this previously: Inkscape extends the SVG specification
> with a custom style class ("-inkscape-font-specification") that allows
> its users to refine font styles.
>
> % SOF
> \startbuffer[svg]
> <svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg <http://www.w3.org/2000/svg>"
> viewBox="0 0 154.6 19.3" width="155" height="19"><text x="-6.7"
> y="-2.3"><tspan x="-1.9" y="15"
> style="-inkscape-font-specification:'Roboto,
> Ultra-Light';font-family:Roboto;font-size:20px;font-weight:200">Roboto
> \stopbuffer
>
> \starttext
>    \placefigure{}{\includesvgbuffer[svg][conversion=mp]}
> \stoptext
> % EOF
>
> Expected: "Roboto Ultra-Light" appears in Roboto Ultra-Light font.
> Actual: Empty square.
>
> Supporting this via MetaPost would help maintain backwards compatibility
> (with ConTeXt invoking Inkscape).
Hm, one should export the 'simple' SVG from inkscape, not the bloated
stuff. This is a bit like Adobe illustrator and its AI files: tons of
crap needed for an editor but not really an 'eps' file for which there
is a normal export. Once we decide to support all the weirdness there is
no end. It's like the browser css madness.

Now, with regards to remapping fonts, doing that at the tex end should
work ok (maybe some extra helper for svg to make it easier).

Hans