* Labels and Enumerations
@ 2018-01-13 21:17 Rik Kabel
From: Rik Kabel @ 2018-01-13 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

I would like to request the restoration of labels (\definelabel) to full
citizenship in MKIV. While enumerations are more flexible in many ways,
they cannot replace one particular use of labels if find necessary.
Enumerations are paragraph entities, while labels are not so restricted.

I use labels displayed as numbers in the margin to serially identify
quotations in a book about the development of quotation and
misquotation, at the same time generating reference information for
cross-referencing. While most quotations are blocks and can be handled
by enumerations, many are in-line quotations, and enumeration cannot be
used for these.

The wiki describes enumerations as the MKIV replacement for labels, and
the documentation as far as I can see omits \definelabel. Unless there
is something else supported in MKIV that can assume this function of
labels, can we please have full support for labels? I would not want to
see labels deprecated before the functionality is reproduced.

(Of course, if you can suggest how enumeration can be adapted to this
requirement, or suggest an alternative mechanism, this request can be
rejected.)

--
Rik

* Re: Labels and Enumerations
@ 2018-01-13 22:14 ` Alan Braslau
From: Alan Braslau @ 2018-01-13 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

How about:
\setupitemize[each][text][before=]

Alan

On Sat, 13 Jan 2018 16:17:54 -0500
Rik Kabel <context@rik.users.panix.com> wrote:

> I would like to request the restoration of labels (\definelabel) to
> full citizenship in MKIV. While enumerations are more flexible in
> many ways, they cannot replace one particular use of labels if find
> necessary. Enumerations are paragraph entities, while labels are not
> so restricted.
>
> I use labels displayed as numbers in the margin to serially identify
> quotations in a book about the development of quotation and
> misquotation, at the same time generating reference information for
> cross-referencing. While most quotations are blocks and can be
> handled by enumerations, many are in-line quotations, and enumeration
> cannot be used for these.
>
> The wiki describes enumerations as the MKIV replacement for labels,
> and the documentation as far as I can see omits \definelabel. Unless
> there is something else supported in MKIV that can assume this
> function of labels, can we please have full support for labels? I
> would not want to see labels deprecated before the functionality is
> reproduced.
>
> (Of course, if you can suggest how enumeration can be adapted to this
> requirement, or suggest an alternative mechanism, this request can be
> rejected.)

* Re: Labels and Enumerations
@ 2018-01-14 14:46 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2018-01-14 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 1/13/2018 10:17 PM, Rik Kabel wrote:
> I would like to request the restoration of labels (\definelabel) to full
> citizenship in MKIV. While enumerations are more flexible in many ways,
> they cannot replace one particular use of labels if find necessary.
> Enumerations are paragraph entities, while labels are not so restricted.
>
> I use labels displayed as numbers in the margin to serially identify
> quotations in a book about the development of quotation and
> misquotation, at the same time generating reference information for
> cross-referencing. While most quotations are blocks and can be handled
> by enumerations, many are in-line quotations, and enumeration cannot be
> used for these.
>
> The wiki describes enumerations as the MKIV replacement for labels, and
> the documentation as far as I can see omits \definelabel. Unless there
> is something else supported in MKIV that can assume this function of
> labels, can we please have full support for labels? I would not want to
> see labels deprecated before the functionality is reproduced.
>
> (Of course, if you can suggest how enumeration can be adapted to this
> requirement, or suggest an alternative mechanism, this request can be
> rejected.)

two options:

\defineconstructionalternative
   [mylabel]
   [renderingsetup=constructionrenderings:mylabel,
    width=]

\startsetups[constructionrenderings:mylabel]
     \dontleavehmode
     \flushconstructionheadbox
\stopsetups

\defineenumeration[two][alternative=mylabel,display=no,before=,after=]

\definelabel[foo][way=bychapter,prefix=chapter]

\starttext

     \startchapter[title=bar]

         here \starttwo\stoptwo \input tufte

         here \foo[xx] \input tufte

         whatever \in{foo}[xx]

     \stopchapter

\stoptext

* Re: Labels and Enumerations
@ 2018-01-14 20:37   ` Rik Kabel
From: Rik Kabel @ 2018-01-14 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2018-01-14 09:46, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 1/13/2018 10:17 PM, Rik Kabel wrote:
>> I would like to request the restoration of labels (\definelabel) to
>> full citizenship in MKIV. While enumerations are more flexible in
>> many ways, they cannot replace one particular use of labels if find
>> necessary. Enumerations are paragraph entities, while labels are not
>> so restricted.
>>
>> I use labels displayed as numbers in the margin to serially identify
>> quotations in a book about the development of quotation and
>> misquotation, at the same time generating reference information for
>> cross-referencing. While most quotations are blocks and can be
>> handled by enumerations, many are in-line quotations, and enumeration
>> cannot be used for these.
>>
>> The wiki describes enumerations as the MKIV replacement for labels,
>> and the documentation as far as I can see omits \definelabel. Unless
>> there is something else supported in MKIV that can assume this
>> function of labels, can we please have full support for labels? I
>> would not want to see labels deprecated before the functionality is
>> reproduced.
>>
>> (Of course, if you can suggest how enumeration can be adapted to this
>> requirement, or suggest an alternative mechanism, this request can be
>> rejected.)
>
> two options:
>
> \defineconstructionalternative
>   [mylabel]
>   [renderingsetup=constructionrenderings:mylabel,
>    width=]
>
> \startsetups[constructionrenderings:mylabel]
>     \dontleavehmode
>     \flushconstructionheadbox
> \stopsetups
>
> \defineenumeration[two][alternative=mylabel,display=no,before=,after=]
>
> \definelabel[foo][way=bychapter,prefix=chapter]
>
> \starttext
>
>     \startchapter[title=bar]
>
>         here \starttwo\stoptwo \input tufte
>
>         here \foo[xx] \input tufte
>
>         whatever \in{foo}[xx]
>
>     \stopchapter
>
> \stoptext

I played a bit more with enumerations and resolved one issue, I think.
The forced paragraph break is a feature of the default before/after keys
(both of which I need to null). Once this is done, enumerations can be
used for in-line text as well, and when an explicit \par is added to
\footnotes, the enumeration index appears there, unlike labels, where it
does not appear.

Can you explain why the enumeration defined with constructionalternative
rendering fails in footnotes, as shown in the following example? I
suspect it has to do with my not understanding the use of
\flushconstructionheadbox.

    \defineconstructionalternative
       [mylabel]
       [renderingsetup=constructionrenderings:mylabel,
        width=]

    \startsetups[constructionrenderings:mylabel]
         \inright{\dontleavehmode\flushconstructionheadbox}
    \stopsetups

    \defineenumeration[two][alternative=mylabel, % use mylabel rendering
                             headcolor=darkgreen,
                             text=,               % no name preceding
    label number
                             display=no,          % suppresses line
    break with constructs
                             before=,             % no added text before
    label number
                             after=]              % no added text after
    label number

    \defineenumeration[why][alternative=inright, % use inright rendering
                             headcolor=blue,
                             display=yes,         % seems to be the default
                             text=,               % no name preceding
    label number
                             before=,             % no added text before
    label number
                             after=]              % no added text after
    label number

    \definelabel[foo][text=,headcolor=red,alternative=inright]

    \starttext

             \startchapter[title=bar]

             here \starttwo[reference=aa]\stoptwo \input ward
    \starttwo[reference=bb]\stoptwo \input ward

             here as well?\footnote{\starttwo[reference=cc]\stoptwo This
    fails.\par}

             whatever \in{two}[aa] and \in{two}[bb] and \in{two}[cc]

             \blank

             here \two[dd]\input ward \two[ee]\input ward

             here as well?\footnote{\two[ff]This fails.\par}

             whatever \in{two}[dd] and \in{two}[ee] and \in{two}[ff] and why
             is this section not three paragraph?

             \blank

             here \why[gg]\input ward \why[hh] \input ward

             here as well?\footnote{\why[ii]This works!\par}

             whatever \in{why}[gg] and \in{why}[hh] and \in{why}[ii]

             \blank

             here \foo[xx] \input ward \foo[yy] \input ward

             here as well?\footnote{\foo[zz]This fails.}

             whatever \in{foo}[xx] and \in{foo}[yy] and \in{foo}[zz]

         \stopchapter

    \stoptext

Could you explain the display key. The best I could determine from
strc-con.mkvi is that if it is not 'no' in a construction, a \par is
inserted, although I do not see why it is required in one case, and the
other in my example above.

Could you also explain why \par is required in the footnotes when it
does not seem to be needed in footnotes for any other use?

--
Rik

* Re: Labels and Enumerations
@ 2018-01-15  1:59     ` Rik Kabel
From: Rik Kabel @ 2018-01-15  1:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Further experimentation suggests that the problem is in the interaction
between footnotes and margin placement. Endnotes work fine.

    \defineconstructionalternative
       [mylabel]
       [renderingsetup=constructionrenderings:mylabel,
        width=]

    \startsetups[constructionrenderings:mylabel]
       \dontleavehmode
       \inright{\flushconstructionheadbox}
    \stopsetups

    \defineenumeration
       [one]
       [alternative=mylabel,
        display=no,
        before=,
        after=]

    \definenote
       [endnote]
    \setupnotation
       [endnote]
        [way=bytext,
         location=none,
         conversion=numbers]

    \starttext

         \startchapter[title=bar]

             this works \startone[reference=aa]\input jojomayer \stopone
             \quotation{\startone[reference=bb]\input ward \stopone}

             this fails\footnote{\startone[reference=cc]\input jojomayer
    \stopone
             \quotation{\startone[reference=dd]\input ward \stopone}}

             while this works\endnote{\startone[reference=ee]\input
    jojomayer \stopone
             \quotation{\startone[reference=ff]\input ward \stopone}}

             whatever \in{one}[aa] whatever \in{one}[bb]

             whatever \in{one}[cc] whatever \in{one}[dd]

             whatever \in{one}[ee] whatever \in{one}[ff]

         \stopchapter

         \startchapter[title=notes]

             \placenotes[endnote]

         \stopchapter

    \stoptext

--
Rik

* Re: Labels and Enumerations
@ 2018-01-15  8:09     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2018-01-15  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 1/14/2018 9:37 PM, Rik Kabel wrote:
> On 2018-01-14 09:46, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> On 1/13/2018 10:17 PM, Rik Kabel wrote:
>>> I would like to request the restoration of labels (\definelabel) to
>>> full citizenship in MKIV. While enumerations are more flexible in
>>> many ways, they cannot replace one particular use of labels if find
>>> necessary. Enumerations are paragraph entities, while labels are not
>>> so restricted.
>>>
>>> I use labels displayed as numbers in the margin to serially identify
>>> quotations in a book about the development of quotation and
>>> misquotation, at the same time generating reference information for
>>> cross-referencing. While most quotations are blocks and can be
>>> handled by enumerations, many are in-line quotations, and enumeration
>>> cannot be used for these.
>>>
>>> The wiki describes enumerations as the MKIV replacement for labels,
>>> and the documentation as far as I can see omits \definelabel. Unless
>>> there is something else supported in MKIV that can assume this
>>> function of labels, can we please have full support for labels? I
>>> would not want to see labels deprecated before the functionality is
>>> reproduced.
>>>
>>> (Of course, if you can suggest how enumeration can be adapted to this
>>> requirement, or suggest an alternative mechanism, this request can be
>>> rejected.)
>>
>> two options:
>>
>> \defineconstructionalternative
>>   [mylabel]
>>   [renderingsetup=constructionrenderings:mylabel,
>>    width=]
>>
>> \startsetups[constructionrenderings:mylabel]
>>     \dontleavehmode
>>     \flushconstructionheadbox
>> \stopsetups
>>
>> \defineenumeration[two][alternative=mylabel,display=no,before=,after=]
>>
>> \definelabel[foo][way=bychapter,prefix=chapter]
>>
>> \starttext
>>
>>     \startchapter[title=bar]
>>
>>         here \starttwo\stoptwo \input tufte
>>
>>         here \foo[xx] \input tufte
>>
>>         whatever \in{foo}[xx]
>>
>>     \stopchapter
>>
>> \stoptext
>
> I played a bit more with enumerations and resolved one issue, I think.
> The forced paragraph break is a feature of the default before/after keys
> (both of which I need to null). Once this is done, enumerations can be
> used for in-line text as well, and when an explicit \par is added to
> \footnotes, the enumeration index appears there, unlike labels, where it
> does not appear.

use

\startsetups[constructionrenderings:mylabel]
     \dontleavehmode
     \inright[scope=local]{\flushconstructionheadbox}
\stopsetups

also, an enumeration wants a paragraph as it needs to handle the
following text an danythign between \whatever and the next \par (or
emptyline) becomes that text so for the footnote it sees the end outside
a group / argument

* Re: Labels and Enumerations
@ 2018-01-15 21:15       ` Rik Kabel
From: Rik Kabel @ 2018-01-15 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans,

Even with the local scope, I cannot get multiple enumerations in a
paragraph at the same time as I get inright labels in footnotes. The
footnote enumerations appear only with display=yes, but that causes
paragraph breaks after each enumeration. The default alignment works,
but I need marginal indices.

Labels seem to me a bit more flexible here since they do not require
paragraph semantics for termination. I am not looking for a taggable
mark, simply a visible reference index to which reference can be applied.

So, with enumerations providing no benefit and introducing additional
problems, is it unreasonable to request that labels be officially
supported in MKIV and not marked as MKII relicts?

Here is my latest test harness.

    \defineconstructionalternative
       [mylabel]
       [renderingsetup=constructionrenderings:mylabel,
        width=]

    \startsetups[constructionrenderings:mylabel]
       \dontleavehmode
       \inright[scope=local]{\flushconstructionheadbox}
    \stopsetups
    %% constructionrenderings testing alternatives
    % \inright[scope=local]{\flushconstructionheadbox}
    % \flushconstructionheadbox
    % \inright{\flushconstructionheadbox}

    \defineenumeration
       [Enu]
       [alternative=mylabel,
        display=no,
        before=,
        after=]

    \definelabel
       [Lab]
       [alternative=mylabel,
        before=,
        after=]

    \definenote
       [endnote]
    \setupnotation
       [endnote]
       [way=bytext,
        location=none,
        conversion=numbers]

    \definenote
       [footnote]
    \setupnotation
       [footnote]
       [way=bypage,
        numberconversion=set 2]

    \define\testTextOne{\quotation{\startEnu\input ward \stopEnu}
                         And the rest of the paragraph.}

    \define\testTextTwo{\startEnu\input jojomayer \stopEnu
                         \quotation{\startEnu\input ward \stopEnu}
                         And the rest of the paragraph.}

    \define\testTextThree{\Lab\input jojomayer
                           \quotation{\Lab\input ward }
                           And the rest of the paragraph.}

    \setupwhitespace[small]

    \starttext

         \startchapter[title=bar]

             Paragraph with one enumeration: \testTextOne\ A footnote with
             one enumeration\footnote{\testTextOne} and an endnote with one
             enumeration.\endnote{\testTextOne}

             Paragraph with two enumerations: \testTextTwo\ A footnote with
             two enumerations\footnote{\testTextTwo} and an endnote with two
             enumeration.\endnote{\testTextTwo}

             Paragraph with two labels: \testTextThree\ A footnote with
             two labels\footnote{\testTextThree} and an endnote with two
             labels.\endnote{\testTextThree}

         \stopchapter

         \startchapter[title=notes]

             \placenotes[endnote]

         \stopchapter

    \stoptext

--
Rik

* Re: Labels and Enumerations
@ 2018-01-16  8:21         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2018-01-16  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 1/15/2018 10:15 PM, Rik Kabel wrote:
> Hans,
>
> Even with the local scope, I cannot get multiple enumerations in a
> paragraph at the same time as I get inright labels in footnotes. The
> footnote enumerations appear only with display=yes, but that causes
> paragraph breaks after each enumeration. The default alignment works,
> but I need marginal indices.
>
> Labels seem to me a bit more flexible here since they do not require
> paragraph semantics for termination. I am not looking for a taggable
> mark, simply a visible reference index to which reference can be applied.
>
> So, with enumerations providing no benefit and introducing additional
> problems, is it unreasonable to request that labels be officially
> supported in MKIV and not marked as MKII relicts?
Well, they are supported and i don't see them go away (hardly any code
involved). There are many thingies that make more sense in mkii than in
mkiv that stay(ed).

Hans