* Cyrillic glyphs display problem with standalone ConTeXt distribution under win32
@ 2006-05-07 18:50 Vladimir Smirnov
From: Vladimir Smirnov @ 2006-05-07 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=koi-8r, Size: 1057 bytes --]

Hello everyone,

I use standalone ConTeXt distribution for win32, mswincontext.zip
downloaded a week ago, and never got proper cyrillic characters. I get
latin "character codes" instead: for instance, \cyrillicDJE produces "DJE"
in the output pdf, but not "ö". At the same time \Tsedilla (cp1250) makes
the proper glyph. I found that live ConTeXt at contextgarden.org behaves
in the similar way. Neither of recommendations/samples at
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Russian worked for me. The standalone
context distribution does contain all necessary fonts and regimes, so
there must be some deeper problem. Could anyone, please, tell me what is
going on?

Here is my test.tex. I tried it in utf, cp1251, cp866, all producing the
similar result.

(this letter must be in koi-8r cyrillic encoding)

\useregime[cp1251]
\enableregime[cp1251]
\usetypescript[modern-base][t2a]
\setupbodyfont[modern]

\starttext
üÔÏ ÐÅÒ×ÙÊ ÄÏËÕÍÅÎÔ \ConTeXt!\par
\Tcedilla\par
\cyrillicDJE\par
áâ÷çäå³öúéêëìíîïðòóôõæèãþûýøùÿüàñ
\stoptext

* Re: Cyrillic glyphs display problem with standalone ConTeXt distribution under win32
@ 2006-05-07 19:56 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2006-05-07 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 5/7/06, Vladimir Smirnov wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I use standalone ConTeXt distribution for win32, mswincontext.zip
> downloaded a week ago, and never got proper cyrillic characters. I get
> latin "character codes" instead: for instance, \cyrillicDJE produces "DJE"
> in the output pdf, but not "Ж". At the same time \Tsedilla (cp1250) makes
> the proper glyph. I found that live ConTeXt at contextgarden.org behaves
> in the similar way. Neither of recommendations/samples at
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Russian worked for me. The standalone
> context distribution does contain all necessary fonts and regimes, so
> there must be some deeper problem. Could anyone, please, tell me what is
> going on?

Wellcome on the list! Are you the first Russian user here perhaps?

> Here is my test.tex. I tried it in utf, cp1251, cp866, all producing the
> similar result.
>
> (this letter must be in koi-8r cyrillic encoding)
>
> \useregime[cp1251]
> \enableregime[cp1251]

That should be OK (I don't think that you need to say
\useregime[cp1250] explicitely.)

> \usetypescript[modern-base][t2a]
> \setupbodyfont[modern]

Latin modern doesn't have cyrillic letters.

Does the following work?

\starttypescript [antykwa-torunska] [texnansi,ec,el,t2a]
  \definetypeface[antykwa][rm][serif][antykwa-torunska]
[default][encoding=\typescripttwo]
% you need to define also sans and math here
\stoptypescript

\usetypescript[antykwa-torunska][t2a]
\setupbodyfont[antykwa]

> \starttext
> Это первый документ \ConTeXt!\par
> \Tcedilla\par
> \cyrillicDJE\par
> АБВГДЕЁЖЗИЙКЛМНОПРСТУФХЦЧШЩЬЫЪЭЮЯ
> \stoptext

How do you initialize the fonts under LaTeX?

Mojca

* Re: Cyrillic glyphs display problem with standalone ConTeXt distribution under win32
@ 2006-05-07 20:32 ` Mikael Persson
From: Mikael Persson @ 2006-05-07 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 5/7/06, Vladimir Smirnov <smirnoff@spbal.ru> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I use standalone ConTeXt distribution for win32, mswincontext.zip
> downloaded a week ago, and never got proper cyrillic characters. I get
> latin "character codes" instead: for instance, \cyrillicDJE produces "DJE"
> in the output pdf, but not "Ж". At the same time \Tsedilla (cp1250) makes
> the proper glyph. I found that live ConTeXt at contextgarden.org behaves
> in the similar way. Neither of recommendations/samples at
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Russian worked for me. The standalone
> context distribution does contain all necessary fonts and regimes, so
> there must be some deeper problem. Could anyone, please, tell me what is
> going on?
>
> Here is my test.tex. I tried it in utf, cp1251, cp866, all producing the
> similar result.
>
> (this letter must be in koi-8r cyrillic encoding)
>
> \useregime[cp1251]
> \enableregime[cp1251]
> \usetypescript[modern-base][t2a]
> \setupbodyfont[modern]
>
> \starttext
> Это первый документ \ConTeXt!\par
> \Tcedilla\par
> \cyrillicDJE\par
> АБВГДЕЁЖЗИЙКЛМНОПРСТУФХЦЧШЩЬЫЪЭЮЯ
> \stoptext

Hi,

this does not really help you, but: I tried your file and the files at
the Russian wiki page, and they did not work with my minimal
installation for linux either. However, they all worked well with
TeXLive 2004 with a not too old ConTeXt version. Since I partly wrote
that wiki page and only tried it with my own TeXLive 2004 it may not
be helping other people too much.

Sorry for not being able to help more. I wish I could...

Mikael P

* Re: Cyrillic glyphs display problem with standalone ConTeXt distribution under win32
@ 2006-05-07 23:43   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-05-07 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Vladimir Smirnov

Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On 5/7/06, Vladimir Smirnov wrote:
>
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> Great thanks to Mojca Miklavec, that was definitely a font problem. Using
>> antykwa-torunska did solve it.

>>> Latin modern doesn't have cyrillic letters.
>>>
>> I took the code from wiki. It was for cm-super font package, included in
>> the distribution. Is there a problem with this package in
>> mswincontext.zip?..
>>

> I'm only guessing now, but it might be that cm[whatever] maps to
> lm[whatever] even at the places where cm-super fonts should be used,
> which means that the code used to work until Latin Modern replaced
> Computer Modern.
>
> Another (not really probable) possibility is that latin modern is
> preloaded and interferes with loading new encoding from "almost the
> same family".
>
> If I figure anything out, I'll report it, but Hans or others probably
> know better how to handle with this than I do.

\starttext

\usetypescript [serif,sans,mono,math] [computer-modern] [default,name,size,t2c]
\usetypescript [map] [computer-modern] [t2c]
\usemathcollection[default]
\setupbodyfont[modern]

\dorecurse{200}{\char\recurselevel\space \space}

\stoptext

this does not work here because i don't have the full cm super installed

(i can add a reasonable subset to the less and less minimal distribution)

(there are quite some cyr related definitions in the typescripts but what encoding makes most sense?)

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2006-05-07 23:08 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-05-07 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Vladimir Smirnov wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> Great thanks to Mojca Miklavec, that was definitely a font problem. Using
> antykwa-torunska did solve it.
>

>>> \usetypescript[modern-base][t2a]
>>> \setupbodyfont[modern]
>>>
>> Latin modern doesn't have cyrillic letters.
>>

> I took the code from wiki. It was for cm-super font package, included in
> the distribution. Is there a problem with this package in
> mswincontext.zip?..

can you make some test files?

- utf-8 encoded
- your prefered font encoding