* Experience on writing a thesis with MKIV
@ 2008-09-27 16:35 Aditya Mahajan
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2008-09-27 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi everyone,

I finished my thesis, writing both my thesis and my presentation using
ConTeXt.

Thesis: http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~adityam/publications/thesis/thesis.pdf

Source:
http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~adityam/publications/thesis/thesis.tar.gz

Presentation:
http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~adityam/publications/thesis/thesis-presentation.pdf

Overall it was a pleasant experience, but there were some difficulties. I
am summarizing my experience here. Hopefully, others will find it useful.

* Layout and Formatting: It was extremely simple to set up the layout and
formatting according to the thesis specifications. Due to the ease of
changing formatting, I experimented quite a bit with the formatting before
settling down to what is in the thesis (The school wanted "nothing
fancy").

* Organizing large projects: The product-component structure made it easy
to work on single chapters. However, I could not get correct numbering for
the components (If I compiled chapter-02, it got numbered 1). In the end,
I was just compiling the whole thesis at the time, since it was pretty
fast (~10 sec).

* Fonts: Using different fonts with MKIV was really easy. For the
presentation, I did have some trouble in getting Euler to work with the
minimals. Hopefully, this will be corrected soon.

* Math: The math alignments worked very nicely, but I had to do a lot of
manual tweaking at a lot of places. Also, equations seem to like to have a
tendency of starting on a new page. I tried changing penalties for
predisplay and postdisplay (which are set to zero), but it invariably led
to bad page breaks at other places.

  At some places, the equation overlapped with the previous material. I am
not sure what was causing this (medium interline spacing, wrong
calculation of the width of the previous line, or something else). In the
end, I simply put a few manual \break[small] here and there.

  Being able to write unicode math made simplified reading math markup.

* Metapost: TeX-MP interaction is fast and easy. However, debugging
metapost errors is difficult because context does not stop compiling on
encountering a metapost error.

* Bibliography. For a large part, the bib module was very easy. In the
end, there were a few glitches with the formatting of the bibliography
(too title space between entries) which I had to manually correct. (Look
for \help inside the bbl file).

  The bbl file sorted authors with multiple entries incorrectly. If I had
authors with four publications in a year, say 2000, the came out as 2000d,
2000c, 2000b, 2000a. I wanted 2000a, 2000b, 2000c, and 2000d, so in the
end I just edited the bbl file by hand.

  There was also problem with maybe year. If I had 2000a and 2000b in the
bib file, but only referred to 2000b in the thesis, the year came out as
2000b rather than 2000. For this also, I edited the bbl file by hand.

Overall, ConTeXt made writing the thesis fairly easy. I mean the
typesetting part of it. For those who are wondering, ConTeXt does not help
with the content of the thesis :-) I would like to thank Hans and Taco for
providing ConTeXt and everyone on the mailing list for answering my
various questions.

Aditya

* Re: Experience on writing a thesis with MKIV
@ 2008-09-28 13:59 ` Hans Hagen
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-09-28 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I finished my thesis, writing both my thesis and my presentation using
> ConTeXt.

congratulations!

> Thesis: http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~adityam/publications/thesis/thesis.pdf

impressive and it also looks nice (the large interline spacing even
looks ok -)

> Source:
> http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~adityam/publications/thesis/thesis.tar.gz
>
> Presentation:
> http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~adityam/publications/thesis/thesis-presentation.pdf
>
> Overall it was a pleasant experience, but there were some difficulties. I
> am summarizing my experience here. Hopefully, others will find it useful.
>
> * Layout and Formatting: It was extremely simple to set up the layout and
> formatting according to the thesis specifications. Due to the ease of
> changing formatting, I experimented quite a bit with the formatting before
> settling down to what is in the thesis (The school wanted "nothing
> fancy").

at least they gave you the freedom to play with fonts

> * Organizing large projects: The product-component structure made it easy
> to work on single chapters. However, I could not get correct numbering for
> the components (If I compiled chapter-02, it got numbered 1). In the end,
> I was just compiling the whole thesis at the time, since it was pretty
> fast (~10 sec).

there is a \setuphead[chapter][file=..] option which should do the job
(remin dme to implement that in the upcoming mkiv sectioning mechanisms
as well)

> * Fonts: Using different fonts with MKIV was really easy. For the
> presentation, I did have some trouble in getting Euler to work with the
> minimals. Hopefully, this will be corrected soon.

indeed; anyhow, your thesis proofs that luatex can be used for real
production

> * Math: The math alignments worked very nicely, but I had to do a lot of
> manual tweaking at a lot of places. Also, equations seem to like to have a
> tendency of starting on a new page. I tried changing penalties for
> predisplay and postdisplay (which are set to zero), but it invariably led
> to bad page breaks at other places.
>
>   At some places, the equation overlapped with the previous material. I am
> not sure what was causing this (medium interline spacing, wrong
> calculation of the width of the previous line, or something else). In the
> end, I simply put a few manual \break[small] here and there.

in mkiv we can redo the before/after math spacing because there we have
the control that we wanted

>   Being able to write unicode math made simplified reading math markup.
>
> * Metapost: TeX-MP interaction is fast and easy. However, debugging
> metapost errors is difficult because context does not stop compiling on
> encountering a metapost error.

ok, remind me to implement a 'show error when mp fails' mechanism (we
may need a way to trigger tex's error mode then from within luatex then;
somethin gis possible now but a bit hackery)

> * Bibliography. For a large part, the bib module was very easy. In the
> end, there were a few glitches with the formatting of the bibliography
> (too title space between entries) which I had to manually correct. (Look
> for \help inside the bbl file).
>
>   The bbl file sorted authors with multiple entries incorrectly. If I had
> authors with four publications in a year, say 2000, the came out as 2000d,
> 2000c, 2000b, 2000a. I wanted 2000a, 2000b, 2000c, and 2000d, so in the
> end I just edited the bbl file by hand.
>
>   There was also problem with maybe year. If I had 2000a and 2000b in the
> bib file, but only referred to 2000b in the thesis, the year came out as
> 2000b rather than 2000. For this also, I edited the bbl file by hand.

i like the bibliography layout

> Overall, ConTeXt made writing the thesis fairly easy. I mean the
> typesetting part of it. For those who are wondering, ConTeXt does not help
> with the content of the thesis :-) I would like to thank Hans and Taco for
> providing ConTeXt and everyone on the mailing list for answering my
> various questions.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2008-09-28 15:45 ` Mikael Persson
From: Mikael Persson @ 2008-09-28 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wow, that looks very nice!

I hope you do not feel I am stealing your thread now (I do not mean
to). I did also finish my thesis (in mathematics) recently, written
"in ConTeXt". For this I had a lot of help with your doc "Using
\startalign and friends", thank you.

The thesis is available at

http://www.math.chalmers.se/~mickep/mp-thesis-final.pdf

and a short presentation of the third paper

http://www.math.chalmers.se/~mickep/pres.pdf

Some comments:
* At our university the thesis should be printed on the (not really
standard) G5 paper. No problem in defining and using it with ConTeXt.
* The bibliography uses Taco's module. I am happy of being able to
have different bibliographies in one file.
* As a mathematician I was a bit tired of the computer modern fonts (I
really like them, but I see them to often), so I decided to go with
the utopia/fourier fonts. This forced me to work with mkii, since I
did not get these fonts to work with mkiv (This is still a problem, I
am not sure how to go on with it for future documents).
* Typesetting math worked very smoothly. There is one place where I
hade to add some negative vertical space (I could not reproduce this
in a minimal file).
* I'm very happy with the way MetaPost and ConTeXt work together.
* The presentation is inspired by Thomas A. Schmitz' files at
http://www.tug.org/pracjourn/2006-2/schmitz/ (thanks!)
* The presentation uses Wolfram's Mathematica fonts which I find being
very clear.

I will happily continue to use ConTeXt in future projects.

/Micke P

@ 2008-09-28 17:34 ` Mohamed Bana
From: Mohamed Bana @ 2008-09-28 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I finished my thesis, writing both my thesis and my presentation using
> ConTeXt.
>
 > Aditya

:).  But there's a still something missing that I need before I even
thinking of typesetting an msc thesis in ConTeXt.   I'd like to have
something equivelant to the *listings.sty* package;
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.context/15591/focus=15592 or
http://vega.soi.city.ac.uk/~abbg770/listing-sample.pdf.

I setup listing first;

\lstset{breaklines=true,
showlines=true,		% showing line numbers
numbers=left,		% where to show line numbers
numberstyle=\tiny\color{gray},
numbersep=10pt,		%
stepnumber=1,		% how often to show the line number on the left
language=Java,		% specifiy the language
basicstyle=\ttfamily\small,          % print whole listing small
keywordstyle=\color{eclipsekeyword}\ttfamily\underbar, % underlined bold
black keywords
identifierstyle=,           % nothing happens
commentstyle=\color{eclipsecomment}, % white comments, if you use
commentstyle=\color{white},
stringstyle=\ttfamily,  % typewriter type for strings
showstringspaces=false,	% no special string spaces
frame=single,
backgroundcolor=\color{white},
tabsize=4,
showspaces=false,
showstringspaces=false}

\lstset{morecomment=[s][\color{eclipsejavadoc}]{/**}{*/}}

Includes a file, look at Listing B.2 on the pdf I posted.  This should
be self explanatory;

\lstinputlisting[
caption={SpreadsheetParser.java},
label=lst:SpreadsheetParser.java]
{source/SpreadsheetParser.java}

I can also list inline using the same settings defined in \lstset - but
it doesn't break across lines.  The choice of charater is arbitrary
i.e., I could have chosen to use | instead of !;

\lstinline!matcher(CharSequence input)!

Similar to preceeding, with line breaking.  Also I can refer to it
using; \ref{lst:freeformlogfile}

\begin{lstlisting}[frame=,label={lst:freeformlogfile},caption={Log File}]
import java.util.Arrays;

public class ArrayReallocationDemo {

     int[] data1 = new int[] { 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 };

     printArray(data1);
     int[] data2 = Arrays.copyOf(data1, 6);
     data2[5] = 11;
     printArray(data2);

     int[] data3 = Arrays.copyOfRange(data1, 2, 10);
     printArray(data3);
   }

   // print array elements
   private static void printArray(int[] data) {
     StringBuilder stringBuilder = new StringBuilder("[");
     for (int i = 0; i < data.length; i++) {
       stringBuilder.append(data[i]);
       if (i < data.length - 1)
         stringBuilder.append(", ");
     }
     stringBuilder.append("]");
     System.out.println(stringBuilder);
   }
}
\end{lstlisting}

Thanks guys

* Listings (was: Experience on writing a thesis with MKIV)
@ 2008-09-28 18:16   ` Wolfgang Schuster
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-09-28 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 28.09.2008 um 19:34 schrieb Mohamed Bana:

> [...]
> i.e., I could have chosen to use | instead of !;
>
> \lstinline!matcher(CharSequence input)!
>

> Similar to preceeding, with line breaking.  Also I can refer to it
> using; \ref{lst:freeformlogfile}
>
> \begin{lstlisting}[frame=,label={lst:freeformlogfile},caption={Log
> File}]
> import java.util.Arrays;
>
> public class ArrayReallocationDemo {

>     int[] data1 = new int[] { 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 };
>
>     printArray(data1);
>     int[] data2 = Arrays.copyOf(data1, 6);
>     data2[5] = 11;
>     printArray(data2);
>
>     int[] data3 = Arrays.copyOfRange(data1, 2, 10);
>     printArray(data3);
>   }
>
>   // print array elements
>   private static void printArray(int[] data) {
>     StringBuilder stringBuilder = new StringBuilder("[");

\setupcolors[state=start]

\definetyping[JAVA][option=JV]

\setuptyping
   [JAVA]
   [numbering=line]

\starttext

\startJAVA
\stopJAVA

\stoptext

or

same preamble as above plus

\definefloat[listing][listings]

\starttext

\placelisting
    [split]
    [lst:freeformlogfile]
    {Log File}
    {\startJAVA
     \stopJAVA}

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: Experience on writing a thesis with MKIV
@ 2008-09-28 18:23   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-09-28 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mikael Persson wrote:

> The thesis is available at

maybe we should collect such links on a wiki page

> http://www.math.chalmers.se/~mickep/mp-thesis-final.pdf
>
> and a short presentation of the third paper
>
> http://www.math.chalmers.se/~mickep/pres.pdf

> Some comments:
> * At our university the thesis should be printed on the (not really
> standard) G5 paper. No problem in defining and using it with ConTeXt.

just curious ... is it used more often or just at your universiy; it's
no problem to add an extra papersize definition

> * The bibliography uses Taco's module. I am happy of being able to
> have different bibliographies in one file.
> * As a mathematician I was a bit tired of the computer modern fonts (I
> really like them, but I see them to often), so I decided to go with
> the utopia/fourier fonts. This forced me to work with mkii, since I
> did not get these fonts to work with mkiv (This is still a problem, I
> am not sure how to go on with it for future documents).

looks quite nice, i also like the font size

> * Typesetting math worked very smoothly. There is one place where I
> hade to add some negative vertical space (I could not reproduce this
> in a minimal file).
> * I'm very happy with the way MetaPost and ConTeXt work together.
> * The presentation is inspired by Thomas A. Schmitz' files at
> http://www.tug.org/pracjourn/2006-2/schmitz/ (thanks!)
 >
> * The presentation uses Wolfram's Mathematica fonts which I find being
> very clear.

looks nice indeed; are there open type variants of those?

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2008-09-28 19:06     ` Mikael Persson
From: Mikael Persson @ 2008-09-28 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 8:23 PM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
> Mikael Persson wrote:
>
>> The thesis is available at
>
> maybe we should collect such links on a wiki page

good idea

>> http://www.math.chalmers.se/~mickep/mp-thesis-final.pdf
>>
>> and a short presentation of the third paper
>>
>> http://www.math.chalmers.se/~mickep/pres.pdf
>
>> Some comments:
>> * At our university the thesis should be printed on the (not really
>> standard) G5 paper. No problem in defining and using it with ConTeXt.
>
> just curious ... is it used more often or just at your universiy; it's
> no problem to add an extra papersize definition

I had no idea about this, so I had a look at wikipedia, which says
"... G5 (169x239 mm) and E5 (155x220 mm) are popular in Sweden for
printing dissertations [1], but the other formats have not turned out
to be particularly useful in practice and they have not caught on
internationally."

This is taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_size

Personally, I'm not sure I will ever come across it again, but if it
doesn't slow down anything I see no reason not to have it there.

>> * The bibliography uses Taco's module. I am happy of being able to
>> have different bibliographies in one file.
>> * As a mathematician I was a bit tired of the computer modern fonts (I
>> really like them, but I see them to often), so I decided to go with
>> the utopia/fourier fonts. This forced me to work with mkii, since I
>> did not get these fonts to work with mkiv (This is still a problem, I
>> am not sure how to go on with it for future documents).
>
> looks quite nice, i also like the font size

Thanks. What about getting these fonts to work in mkiv? Must there be
some change in the fonts? Some files in ConTeXt? (they were perfectly
working in older mkii)

>> * Typesetting math worked very smoothly. There is one place where I
>> hade to add some negative vertical space (I could not reproduce this
>> in a minimal file).
>> * I'm very happy with the way MetaPost and ConTeXt work together.
>> * The presentation is inspired by Thomas A. Schmitz' files at
>> http://www.tug.org/pracjourn/2006-2/schmitz/ (thanks!)
>  >
>> * The presentation uses Wolfram's Mathematica fonts which I find being
>> very clear.
>
> looks nice indeed; are there open type variants of those?

>From my university installation of these fonts they are only available
as type1 fonts (latest version of Mathematica). I found no .otf files
in the Mathematica tree at all.

Mikael

* Re: Experience on writing a thesis with MKIV
@ 2008-09-28 19:21       ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2008-09-28 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 28 Sep 2008, Mikael Persson wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 8:23 PM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
>> Mikael Persson wrote:
>>
>>> The thesis is available at
>>
>> maybe we should collect such links on a wiki page
>
> good idea

These could also be useful for the regression test suite for ConTeXt.

>>> http://www.math.chalmers.se/~mickep/mp-thesis-final.pdf
>>>
>>> and a short presentation of the third paper
>>>
>>> http://www.math.chalmers.se/~mickep/pres.pdf

Look very nice and professional.

>>> Some comments:
>>> * As a mathematician I was a bit tired of the computer modern fonts (I
>>> really like them, but I see them to often), so I decided to go with
>>> the utopia/fourier fonts. This forced me to work with mkii, since I
>>> did not get these fonts to work with mkiv (This is still a problem, I
>>> am not sure how to go on with it for future documents).
>>
>> looks quite nice, i also like the font size
>
> Thanks. What about getting these fonts to work in mkiv? Must there be
> some change in the fonts? Some files in ConTeXt? (they were perfectly
> working in older mkii)

Fourier and Uptopia should work with mkiv. I will check why they are not
working at present.

Aditya

* Utopia and Fourier fonts (was: Experience on writing a thesis with MKIV)
@ 2008-09-28 19:34         ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-09-28 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 28.09.2008 um 21:21 schrieb Aditya Mahajan:

>>> looks quite nice, i also like the font size
>>
>> Thanks. What about getting these fonts to work in mkiv? Must there be
>> some change in the fonts? Some files in ConTeXt? (they were perfectly
>> working in older mkii)
>
> Fourier and Uptopia should work with mkiv. I will check why they are
> not
> working at present.

Utopia use "encoding-filename" and MkIV needs the "filename" to load
the fonts.

Here is a complete typescript for utopia (without fake slanted and
caps style).

\starttypescript [serif] [utopia]
     \setups[font:fallback:serif]
     \definefontsynonym [Serif]           [Utopia-Regular]
     \definefontsynonym [SerifItalic]     [Utopia-Italic]
     \definefontsynonym [SerifBold]       [Utopia-Bold]
     \definefontsynonym [SerifBoldItalic] [Utopia-BoldItalic]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [serif] [utopia]
     \definefontsynonym [Utopia-Regular]    [file:putr8a]
[features=default]
     \definefontsynonym [Utopia-Italic]     [file:putri8a]
[features=default]
     \definefontsynonym [Utopia-Bold]       [file:putb8a]
[features=default]
     \definefontsynonym [Utopia-BoldItalic] [file:putbi8a]
[features=default]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [utopia]
     \definetypeface [\typescriptone] [rm] [serif] [utopia] [default]
\stoptypescript

\endinput

Wolfgang

* Re: Listings
@ 2008-09-28 20:42     ` Mohamed Bana
From: Mohamed Bana @ 2008-09-28 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> [...]
>> i.e., I could have chosen to use | instead of !;
>>
>> \lstinline!matcher(CharSequence input)!
>>

>> Similar to preceeding, with line breaking.  Also I can refer to it
>> using; \ref{lst:freeformlogfile}
>>
>> \begin{lstlisting}[frame=,label={lst:freeformlogfile},caption={Log
>> File}]
>> import java.util.Arrays;
>>
>> public class ArrayReallocationDemo {
>>
>>   public static void main(String[] args) {
>>     int[] data1 = new int[] { 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 };
>>
>>     printArray(data1);
>>     int[] data2 = Arrays.copyOf(data1, 6);
>>     data2[5] = 11;
>>     printArray(data2);
>>
>>     int[] data3 = Arrays.copyOfRange(data1, 2, 10);
>>     printArray(data3);
>>   }
>>
>>   // print array elements
>>   private static void printArray(int[] data) {
>>     StringBuilder stringBuilder = new StringBuilder("[");

Thanks Wolfgang.

Source; http://pastebin.com/m40986857
Pdf; http://filebin.ca/kceezh/listing.pdf or http://filebin.ca/kceezh

I've still got some issues with it :(.  I think I'll just wait till
verbatim supports improves.

1.  Lines protude into the margin and sometime even go past the end of
the page.
2.  Why doesn't it show the line numbers for the empty lines?
3.  Is there a way to supress the 'there is nothing to split' warning?

Mohamed

* Re: Listings
@ 2008-09-28 21:23       ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-09-28 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 28.09.2008 um 22:42 schrieb Mohamed Bana:

> [...]
>>
>> \startJAVA
>> \stopJAVA
>>
>> \stoptext
>>
>> or
>>
>> same preamble as above plus
>>
>> \definefloat[listing][listings]
>>
>> \starttext
>>
>> \placelisting
>>    [split]
>>    [lst:freeformlogfile]
>>    {Log File}
>>    {\startJAVA
>>     \stopJAVA}
>>
>> \stoptext
>>
>> Wolfgang
>>

> Thanks Wolfgang.
>
> Source; http://pastebin.com/m40986857
> Pdf; http://filebin.ca/kceezh/listing.pdf or http://filebin.ca/kceezh
>
> I've still got some issues with it :(.  I think I'll just wait till
> verbatim supports improves.
>
> 1.  Lines protude into the margin and sometime even go past the end of

\setuptyping
    [JAVA]
    [numbering=line,
     lines=yes]

\setuplinenumbering[location=text]

> 2.  Why doesn't it show the line numbers for the empty lines?

Could be a MkII bug because it works with MkIV but here appears
a new problem, "location=text" for line numbering is not working.

Test file for Hans:

% engine=luatex

\setuplinenumbering[location=text]

\showframe

\starttext

\startlinenumbering
A line of text with the line number.
\stoplinenumbering

\stoptext

> 3.  Is there a way to supress the 'there is nothing to split' warning?

It's a bug, I will look for a solution (the caption has to be fixed
too).

Wolfgang

* Re: Listings
@ 2008-09-28 22:04         ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-09-28 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 28.09.2008 um 22:42 schrieb Mohamed Bana:
>
>> Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

>>> \setupcolors[state=start]
>>>
>>> \definetyping[JAVA][option=JV]
>>>
>>> \setuptyping
>>>  [JAVA]
>>>  [numbering=line]
>>>
>>> \starttext
>>>
>>> \startJAVA
>>> \stopJAVA
>>>
>>> \stoptext
>>>
>>> or
>>>
>>> same preamble as above plus
>>>
>>> \definefloat[listing][listings]
>>>
>>> \starttext
>>>
>>> \placelisting
>>>   [split]
>>>   [lst:freeformlogfile]
>>>   {Log File}
>>>   {\startJAVA
>>>    \stopJAVA}
>>>
>>> \stoptext
>>>
>>> Wolfgang
>>>

>> Thanks Wolfgang.
>>
>> Source; http://pastebin.com/m40986857
>> Pdf; http://filebin.ca/kceezh/listing.pdf or http://filebin.ca/kceezh
>>
>> I've still got some issues with it :(.  I think I'll just wait till
>> verbatim supports improves.
>>
>> 1.  Lines protude into the margin and sometime even go past the end
>> of
>> the page.
>
> \setuptyping
>   [JAVA]
>   [numbering=line,
>    lines=yes]
>
> \setuplinenumbering[location=text]
>
>> 2.  Why doesn't it show the line numbers for the empty lines?
>
> Could be a MkII bug because it works with MkIV but here appears
> a new problem, "location=text" for line numbering is not working.
>
> Test file for Hans:
>
> % engine=luatex
>
> \setuplinenumbering[location=text]
>
> \showframe
>
> \starttext
>
> \startlinenumbering
> A line of text with the line number.
> \stoplinenumbering
>
> \stoptext
>

>> 3.  Is there a way to supress the 'there is nothing to split'
>> warning?
>
> It's a bug, I will look for a solution (the caption has to be fixed
> too).

Here is a quick and dirty solution, alisghtly modified version of
something I wrote two years ago [1]. The code is not ready for
documents because the spacing between the lines is wrong.

\unprotect

\def\dododostarttyping[#1]%
   {\typingparameter\c!before
    \ifinsidesplitfloat
      \setbox\tablecontentbox\vbox\bgroup % added
    \fi
    \startpacked % includes \bgroup
    \dosetuptypelinenumbering{#1}%
    \initializetyping
    \startverbatimcolor
    \expanded{\mktypeblockverbatim{\s!start\currenttyping}{\s!stop
\currenttyping}}}

\def\dostoptyping#1% hm, currenttyping
   {\stopverbatimcolor
    \stoppacked  % includes \egroup
    \ifinsidesplitfloat
      \egroup % added
      \dosplitverbatimbox\tablecontentbox
    \fi
    \typingparameter\c!after
    \egroup
    \dochecknextindentation{\??tp#1}%
    \dorechecknextindentation}

\def\dosplitverbatimbox#1%
   {\resettsplit
    \setbox\tsplitcontent\box#1%
    \handletsplit}

\protect

[1] http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20061004.105840.df79ec7f.en.html

Regards,
Wolfgang

* Re: Experience on writing a thesis with MKIV
@ 2008-09-29  9:26     ` Mikael Persson
From: Mikael Persson @ 2008-09-29  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 8:23 PM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
> Mikael Persson wrote:
>
>> The thesis is available at
>
> maybe we should collect such links on a wiki page
>
>> http://www.math.chalmers.se/~mickep/mp-thesis-final.pdf
>>
>> and a short presentation of the third paper
>>
>> http://www.math.chalmers.se/~mickep/pres.pdf
>
>> Some comments:
>> * At our university the thesis should be printed on the (not really
>> standard) G5 paper. No problem in defining and using it with ConTeXt.
>
> just curious ... is it used more often or just at your universiy; it's
> no problem to add an extra papersize definition
>
>> * The bibliography uses Taco's module. I am happy of being able to
>> have different bibliographies in one file.
>> * As a mathematician I was a bit tired of the computer modern fonts (I
>> really like them, but I see them to often), so I decided to go with
>> the utopia/fourier fonts. This forced me to work with mkii, since I
>> did not get these fonts to work with mkiv (This is still a problem, I
>> am not sure how to go on with it for future documents).
>
> looks quite nice, i also like the font size
>
>> * Typesetting math worked very smoothly. There is one place where I
>> hade to add some negative vertical space (I could not reproduce this
>> in a minimal file).
>> * I'm very happy with the way MetaPost and ConTeXt work together.
>> * The presentation is inspired by Thomas A. Schmitz' files at
>> http://www.tug.org/pracjourn/2006-2/schmitz/ (thanks!)
>  >
>> * The presentation uses Wolfram's Mathematica fonts which I find being
>> very clear.
>
> looks nice indeed; are there open type variants of those?

By the way, the Mathematica fonts can be downloaded from (type1 and ttf)
http://support.wolfram.com/mathematica/systems/windows/general/latestfonts.en.html
I'm not sure if that is helpful for anyone, since there are no metric
files or whatever (they go with the TeX tree that is shipped with
Mathematica)

Mikael

* Re: Utopia and Fourier fonts (was: Experience on writing a thesis with MKIV)
@ 2008-09-29  9:31           ` Mikael Persson
From: Mikael Persson @ 2008-09-29  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 9:34 PM, Wolfgang Schuster
<schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:

>>> Thanks. What about getting these fonts to work in mkiv? Must there be
>>> some change in the fonts? Some files in ConTeXt? (they were perfectly
>>> working in older mkii)
>>
>> Fourier and Uptopia should work with mkiv. I will check why they are
>> not
>> working at present.
>
> Utopia use "encoding-filename" and MkIV needs the "filename" to load
> the fonts.
>
> Here is a complete typescript for utopia (without fake slanted and
> caps style).
>
> \starttypescript [serif] [utopia]
>     \setups[font:fallback:serif]
>     \definefontsynonym [Serif]           [Utopia-Regular]
>     \definefontsynonym [SerifItalic]     [Utopia-Italic]
>     \definefontsynonym [SerifBold]       [Utopia-Bold]
>     \definefontsynonym [SerifBoldItalic] [Utopia-BoldItalic]
> \stoptypescript
>
> \starttypescript [serif] [utopia]
>     \definefontsynonym [Utopia-Regular]    [file:putr8a]
> [features=default]
>     \definefontsynonym [Utopia-Italic]     [file:putri8a]
> [features=default]
>     \definefontsynonym [Utopia-Bold]       [file:putb8a]
> [features=default]
>     \definefontsynonym [Utopia-BoldItalic] [file:putbi8a]
> [features=default]
> \stoptypescript
>
> \starttypescript [utopia]
>     \definetypeface [\typescriptone] [rm] [serif] [utopia] [default]
> \stoptypescript
>
> \endinput
>
> Wolfgang

Thank you Wolfgang, but this does not work for me with latest
minimals. (I have downloaded utopia(+fourier) and they show up in
mkii.) I put your lines in a file and add
\setupbodyfont[utopia][ec/8r/...] %tried several and also without this last []
\starttext
test
\stoptext

LuaTeX just compiles and replaces these fonts by lm.

luatools putr8a.pfb gives the resulting location of the pfb file so it
actually finds the font.

Do I misuse it?

Mikael

* Re: Utopia and Fourier fonts
@ 2008-09-29  9:56             ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-09-29  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 29.09.2008 um 11:31 schrieb Mikael Persson:

> On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 9:34 PM, Wolfgang Schuster
> <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:

>>> Fourier and Uptopia should work with mkiv. I will check why they are
>>> not
>>> working at present.
>>
>> Utopia use "encoding-filename" and MkIV needs the "filename" to load
>> the fonts.
>>
>> Here is a complete typescript for utopia (without fake slanted and
>> caps style).
>>
>> \starttypescript [serif] [utopia]
>>    \setups[font:fallback:serif]
>>    \definefontsynonym [Serif]           [Utopia-Regular]
>>    \definefontsynonym [SerifItalic]     [Utopia-Italic]
>>    \definefontsynonym [SerifBold]       [Utopia-Bold]
>>    \definefontsynonym [SerifBoldItalic] [Utopia-BoldItalic]
>> \stoptypescript
>>
>> \starttypescript [serif] [utopia]
>>    \definefontsynonym [Utopia-Regular]    [file:putr8a]
>> [features=default]
>>    \definefontsynonym [Utopia-Italic]     [file:putri8a]
>> [features=default]
>>    \definefontsynonym [Utopia-Bold]       [file:putb8a]
>> [features=default]
>>    \definefontsynonym [Utopia-BoldItalic] [file:putbi8a]
>> [features=default]
>> \stoptypescript
>>
>> \starttypescript [utopia]
>>    \definetypeface [\typescriptone] [rm] [serif] [utopia] [default]
>> \stoptypescript
>>
>> \endinput
>>
>> Wolfgang
>
> Thank you Wolfgang, but this does not work for me with latest
> minimals. (I have downloaded utopia(+fourier) and they show up in
> mkii.) I put your lines in a file and add
> \setupbodyfont[utopia][ec/8r/...] %tried several and also without
> this last []
> \starttext
> test
> \stoptext
>
> LuaTeX just compiles and replaces these fonts by lm.
>
> luatools putr8a.pfb gives the resulting location of the pfb file so it
> actually finds the font.
>
> Do I misuse it?

Try my test file (I saved the typescript above in type-utopia.tex).

\usetypescriptfile[type-utopia]

\usetypescript[utopia]
\setupbodyfont[utopia]

\starttext

\tf ABC abc 123 \par
\it ABC abc 123 \par
\bf ABC abc 123 \par
\bi ABC abc 123 \par

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: Utopia and Fourier fonts
@ 2008-09-29 13:34               ` Mikael Persson
From: Mikael Persson @ 2008-09-29 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 11:56 AM, Wolfgang Schuster
<schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Am 29.09.2008 um 11:31 schrieb Mikael Persson:
>
>> On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 9:34 PM, Wolfgang Schuster
>> <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:

>>> Utopia use "encoding-filename" and MkIV needs the "filename" to load
>>> the fonts.
>>>
>>> Here is a complete typescript for utopia (without fake slanted and
>>> caps style).
>>>
>>> \starttypescript [serif] [utopia]
>>>    \setups[font:fallback:serif]
>>>    \definefontsynonym [Serif]           [Utopia-Regular]
>>>    \definefontsynonym [SerifItalic]     [Utopia-Italic]
>>>    \definefontsynonym [SerifBold]       [Utopia-Bold]
>>>    \definefontsynonym [SerifBoldItalic] [Utopia-BoldItalic]
>>> \stoptypescript
>>>
>>> \starttypescript [serif] [utopia]
>>>    \definefontsynonym [Utopia-Regular]    [file:putr8a]
>>> [features=default]
>>>    \definefontsynonym [Utopia-Italic]     [file:putri8a]
>>> [features=default]
>>>    \definefontsynonym [Utopia-Bold]       [file:putb8a]
>>> [features=default]
>>>    \definefontsynonym [Utopia-BoldItalic] [file:putbi8a]
>>> [features=default]
>>> \stoptypescript
>>>
>>> \starttypescript [utopia]
>>>    \definetypeface [\typescriptone] [rm] [serif] [utopia] [default]
>>> \stoptypescript
>>>
>>> \endinput
>>>
>>> Wolfgang
>>
>> Thank you Wolfgang, but this does not work for me with latest
>> minimals. (I have downloaded utopia(+fourier) and they show up in
>> mkii.) I put your lines in a file and add
>> \setupbodyfont[utopia][ec/8r/...] %tried several and also without
>> this last []
>> \starttext
>> test
>> \stoptext
>>
>> LuaTeX just compiles and replaces these fonts by lm.
>>
>> luatools putr8a.pfb gives the resulting location of the pfb file so it
>> actually finds the font.
>>
>> Do I misuse it?
>
> Try my test file (I saved the typescript above in type-utopia.tex).
>
> \usetypescriptfile[type-utopia]
>
> \usetypescript[utopia]
> \setupbodyfont[utopia]
>
> \starttext
>
> \tf ABC abc 123 \par
> \it ABC abc 123 \par
> \bf ABC abc 123 \par
> \bi ABC abc 123 \par
>
> \stoptext
>
> Wolfgang

I'm sorry, but I get this error:
%%%
define font | font with name putr8a is not found
define font | unknown font putr8a, loading aborted
! Font \*utopia12ptrmtfrm*:=file:putr8a*features=default, at 12pt not
loadable: metric data not found or bad.
<to be read again>
                   \relax
\definefontglobal ...dcsname \lastfontname \relax
                                                  \expandafter \let \expanda...
\xxdododefinefont ...tspec {#4}\newfontidentifier
                                                  \let \localrelativefontsiz...
\fontstrategy ...me \fontclass #2#3#4#5\endcsname
                                                  \tryingfontfalse \fi
<inserted text> ...yle \fontalternative \fontsize
                                                  \fi \iftryingfont \fontstr...
\synchronizefont ...strategy \the \fontstrategies
                                                  \relax \fi \iftryingfont \...
l.4 \setupbodyfont[utopia]
%%%

I'm very confused. I guess it means it is looking for some tfm files.
Some questions:

1) Do one still (with mkiv) need tfm files?
1a) if not, do I need to do anything to "install" the font file.
luatools putr8a.pfb gives the right file, but
mtxrun --script fonts --list
do not list it.
1b) Is there a difference with the need of tfm files for
opentype/type1/ttf fonts?
2) If I use the old fourier.map file I can get the utopia fonts
working somehow with luatex (then it is mapped via futr8r.tfm). I also
get the fourier math fonts in the pdf, BUT then I still get the
problem explained in
http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20070830.154143.005528b8.en.html
(see http://www.math.chalmers.se/~mickep/ftest.pdf )

Mikael

* Re: Utopia and Fourier fonts
@ 2008-09-29 13:49                 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-09-29 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 3:34 PM, Mikael Persson wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 11:56 AM, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>
> I'm very confused. I guess it means it is looking for some tfm files.
> Some questions:
>
> 1) Do one still (with mkiv) need tfm files?

Yes and no. Type1 fonts don't carry enough information about the fonts
themselves.
Hans sometimes uses afm files instead of tfm, but probably not for math.

> 1b) Is there a difference with the need of tfm files for
> opentype/type1/ttf fonts?

OpenType and TrueType fonts don't need tfm files, but for math you
still need them.

Mojca

* Re: Utopia and Fourier fonts
@ 2008-09-29 18:35               ` Mikael Persson
From: Mikael Persson @ 2008-09-29 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 11:56 AM, Wolfgang Schuster
<schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Am 29.09.2008 um 11:31 schrieb Mikael Persson:
>
>> On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 9:34 PM, Wolfgang Schuster
>> <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:

>>> Utopia use "encoding-filename" and MkIV needs the "filename" to load
>>> the fonts.
>>>
>>> Here is a complete typescript for utopia (without fake slanted and
>>> caps style).
>>>
>>> \starttypescript [serif] [utopia]
>>>    \setups[font:fallback:serif]
>>>    \definefontsynonym [Serif]           [Utopia-Regular]
>>>    \definefontsynonym [SerifItalic]     [Utopia-Italic]
>>>    \definefontsynonym [SerifBold]       [Utopia-Bold]
>>>    \definefontsynonym [SerifBoldItalic] [Utopia-BoldItalic]
>>> \stoptypescript
>>>
>>> \starttypescript [serif] [utopia]
>>>    \definefontsynonym [Utopia-Regular]    [file:putr8a]
>>> [features=default]
>>>    \definefontsynonym [Utopia-Italic]     [file:putri8a]
>>> [features=default]
>>>    \definefontsynonym [Utopia-Bold]       [file:putb8a]
>>> [features=default]
>>>    \definefontsynonym [Utopia-BoldItalic] [file:putbi8a]
>>> [features=default]
>>> \stoptypescript
>>>
>>> \starttypescript [utopia]
>>>    \definetypeface [\typescriptone] [rm] [serif] [utopia] [default]
>>> \stoptypescript
>>>
>>> \endinput
>>>
>>> Wolfgang
>>
>> Thank you Wolfgang, but this does not work for me with latest
>> minimals. (I have downloaded utopia(+fourier) and they show up in
>> mkii.) I put your lines in a file and add
>> \setupbodyfont[utopia][ec/8r/...] %tried several and also without
>> this last []
>> \starttext
>> test
>> \stoptext
>>
>> LuaTeX just compiles and replaces these fonts by lm.
>>
>> luatools putr8a.pfb gives the resulting location of the pfb file so it
>> actually finds the font.
>>
>> Do I misuse it?
>
> Try my test file (I saved the typescript above in type-utopia.tex).
>
> \usetypescriptfile[type-utopia]
>
> \usetypescript[utopia]
> \setupbodyfont[utopia]
>
> \starttext
>
> \tf ABC abc 123 \par
> \it ABC abc 123 \par
> \bf ABC abc 123 \par
> \bi ABC abc 123 \par
>
> \stoptext
>
> Wolfgang

Mojca did send me a list with the necessary files for fourier+utopia.
I put them in

http://www.math.chalmers.se/~mickep/fourierandutopia.zip

if someone wants to test. I also attach a small (I guess noncomplete)
typescript file type-myfourier.tex (the myfourier not to clash with
something previously defined) and a file ftest.tex which indeed gives
the fourier fonts, but with the error as in
http://www.math.chalmers.se/~mickep/ftest.pdf mentioned in a previous
mail.

I guess this is not the correct way to write typescripts for these
fonts in mkiv, but I dont know how to :(

Best regards, Mikael

PS: Thank you Mojca for giving this list of files and also explain
which of the otf/ttf/type1 files that needs typescripts.

[-- Attachment #2: type-myfourier.tex --]

[-- Attachment #3: ftest.tex --]

* Re: Utopia and Fourier fonts
@ 2008-09-29 20:22                 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-09-29 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 29.09.2008 um 20:35 schrieb Mikael Persson:

> On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 11:56 AM, Wolfgang Schuster
> <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Am 29.09.2008 um 11:31 schrieb Mikael Persson:

>>> Thank you Wolfgang, but this does not work for me with latest
>>> minimals. (I have downloaded utopia(+fourier) and they show up in
>>> mkii.) I put your lines in a file and add
>>> \setupbodyfont[utopia][ec/8r/...] %tried several and also without
>>> this last []
>>> \starttext
>>> test
>>> \stoptext
>>>
>>> LuaTeX just compiles and replaces these fonts by lm.
>>>
>>> luatools putr8a.pfb gives the resulting location of the pfb file
>>> so it
>>> actually finds the font.
>>>
>>> Do I misuse it?
>>
>> Try my test file (I saved the typescript above in type-utopia.tex).
>>
>> \usetypescriptfile[type-utopia]
>>
>> \usetypescript[utopia]
>> \setupbodyfont[utopia]
>>
>> \starttext
>>
>> \tf ABC abc 123 \par
>> \it ABC abc 123 \par
>> \bf ABC abc 123 \par
>> \bi ABC abc 123 \par
>>
>> \stoptext
>>
>> Wolfgang
>
> Mojca did send me a list with the necessary files for fourier+utopia.
> I put them in
>
> http://www.math.chalmers.se/~mickep/fourierandutopia.zip
>
> if someone wants to test. I also attach a small (I guess noncomplete)
> typescript file type-myfourier.tex (the myfourier not to clash with
> something previously defined) and a file ftest.tex which indeed gives
> the fourier fonts, but with the error as in
> http://www.math.chalmers.se/~mickep/ftest.pdf mentioned in a previous
> mail.
>
> I guess this is not the correct way to write typescripts for these
> fonts in mkiv, but I dont know how to :(
>
> Best regards, Mikael
>
> PS: Thank you Mojca for giving this list of files and also explain
> which of the otf/ttf/type1 files that needs typescripts.

Math fonts are not available in 'ec' encoding, you have to use 'default'
and why do you use the tfm files for Utopia, the afm files are enough.

Here is my version:

\starttypescript [serif] [utopia]
     \setups[font:fallback:serif]
     \definefontsynonym [Serif]           [Utopia-Regular]
     \definefontsynonym [SerifItalic]     [Utopia-Italic]
     \definefontsynonym [SerifBold]       [Utopia-Bold]
     \definefontsynonym [SerifBoldItalic] [Utopia-BoldItalic]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [serif] [utopia]
     \definefontsynonym [Utopia-Regular]    [file:putr8a]
[features=default]
     \definefontsynonym [Utopia-Italic]     [file:putri8a]
[features=default]
     \definefontsynonym [Utopia-Bold]       [file:putb8a]
[features=default]
     \definefontsynonym [Utopia-BoldItalic] [file:putbi8a]
[features=default]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [math] [fourier] [name]
     \definefontsynonym [MathRoman]     [Utopia-Regular]
     \definefontsynonym [MathItalic]    [futmii]
     \definefontsynonym [MathSymbol]    [futsy]
     \definefontsynonym [MathExtension] [fourier-mex]
     \loadmapfile[fourier.map]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [fourier,utopia]
     \definetypeface [\typescriptone] [rm] [serif] [utopia]  [default]
     \definetypeface [\typescriptone] [ss] [sans]  [modern]  [default]
[rscale=1.07]
     \definetypeface [\typescriptone] [tt] [mono]  [modern]  [default]
[rscale=1.07]
     \definetypeface [\typescriptone] [mm] [math]  [fourier] [default]
[encoding=default]
     \usemathcollection[fou]
     \quittypescriptscanning
\stoptypescript

Wolfgang

* Re: Utopia and Fourier fonts
@ 2008-09-30  6:43                   ` Mikael Persson
From: Mikael Persson @ 2008-09-30  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 10:22 PM, Wolfgang Schuster
> [...]
> [features=default]
>     \definefontsynonym [Utopia-BoldItalic] [file:putbi8a]
> [features=default]
> \stoptypescript
>
> \starttypescript [math] [fourier] [name]
>     \definefontsynonym [MathRoman]     [Utopia-Regular]
>     \definefontsynonym [MathItalic]    [futmii]
>     \definefontsynonym [MathSymbol]    [futsy]
>     \definefontsynonym [MathExtension] [fourier-mex]
>     \loadmapfile[fourier.map]
> \stoptypescript
>
> \starttypescript [fourier,utopia]
>     \definetypeface [\typescriptone] [rm] [serif] [utopia]  [default]
>     \definetypeface [\typescriptone] [ss] [sans]  [modern]  [default]
> [rscale=1.07]
>     \definetypeface [\typescriptone] [tt] [mono]  [modern]  [default]
> [rscale=1.07]
>     \definetypeface [\typescriptone] [mm] [math]  [fourier] [default]

Thank you very much Wolfgang!

I did not have the afm files, and that is why it did not work. So,
with your latest type script file, I get the utopia and fourier fonts.
However, the old problem that $\hat{f}$ places the hat on f at the
wrong place and that { does not stretch (and probably much more) is
still there, try

%%%
\usetypescriptfile[type-wolfgang]
\usetypescript[utopia]
\setupbodyfont[utopia]
\starttext
\startformula
\hat f(x)=
\startcases
\NC x \MC x>0\NR
\NC -x \MC x<0\NR
\stopcases
\stopformula
\stoptext
%%%

Best regards, Mikael

* Re: Listings (was: Experience on writing a thesis with MKIV)
@ 2008-09-30 16:37     ` Chen Shen
From: Chen Shen @ 2008-09-30 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Wolfgang,

I guess you are referring to mkii features. It seems that formatting
in verbatim doesn't work in mkiv yet, or did I miss out something?
None of the wiki verbatim examples worked for me.

regards,
shenchen

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 2:16 AM, Wolfgang Schuster

@ 2008-09-30 17:15       ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-09-30 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 30.09.2008 um 18:37 schrieb Chen Shen:

> Hi Wolfgang,
>
> I guess you are referring to mkii features. It seems that formatting
> in verbatim doesn't work in mkiv yet, or did I miss out something?
> None of the wiki verbatim examples worked for me.

Syntax hyghlighting is implemented in different ways for MkII
and MkIV, MkII use TeX code while MkIV use Lua code to show
the keywords etc.

Hans added only files for TeX, MetaPost and Lua in MkIV but
you could write files for more languages, you find the rules in
the verb-*.lua files.

Regards,
Wolfgang

* Re: Listings
@ 2008-09-30 20:35       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-09-30 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Chen Shen wrote:
> Hi Wolfgang,
>
> I guess you are referring to mkii features. It seems that formatting
> in verbatim doesn't work in mkiv yet, or did I miss out something?
> None of the wiki verbatim examples worked for me.

it's on the todo ... only tex and mp should work

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2008-10-01  3:44         ` Chen Shen
From: Chen Shen @ 2008-10-01  3:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for the pointers. It seems that the syntax-highlighter only
need supply "function buffers.visualizers.mp.flush_line_()", which
returns a buffer containing the typesetting commands. Will try playing
with it.

At the moment, I am looking for the feature with
\setuptyping[option=commands]. I saw "\mksetupcommandsintype" defined,
and "buffers.visualizers.enableescape = true" set in core-ver.mkiv,
but it isn't handled in the default visualizer.

-------------------
\starttext
\setuptyping[option=commands]
\starttyping
abc <<abc>> <</sl abc>> /BTEX{\sl abc}/ETEX
\stoptyping
\stoptext
-------------------

regards,
shenchen

On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 1:15 AM, Wolfgang Schuster
<schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Am 30.09.2008 um 18:37 schrieb Chen Shen:
>
>> Hi Wolfgang,
>>
>> I guess you are referring to mkii features. It seems that formatting
>> in verbatim doesn't work in mkiv yet, or did I miss out something?
>> None of the wiki verbatim examples worked for me.
>
> Syntax hyghlighting is implemented in different ways for MkII
> and MkIV, MkII use TeX code while MkIV use Lua code to show
> the keywords etc.
>
> Hans added only files for TeX, MetaPost and Lua in MkIV but
> you could write files for more languages, you find the rules in
> the verb-*.lua files.
>
> Regards,
> Wolfgang

* Re: Utopia and Fourier fonts
@ 2008-10-01 15:43                     ` Mikael Persson
From: Mikael Persson @ 2008-10-01 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 8:43 AM, Mikael Persson <mickep@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> \starttypescript [fourier,utopia]
>>     \definetypeface [\typescriptone] [rm] [serif] [utopia]  [default]
>>     \definetypeface [\typescriptone] [ss] [sans]  [modern]  [default]
>> [rscale=1.07]
>>     \definetypeface [\typescriptone] [tt] [mono]  [modern]  [default]
>> [rscale=1.07]
>>     \definetypeface [\typescriptone] [mm] [math]  [fourier] [default]
>> [encoding=default]
>>     \usemathcollection[fou]
>>     \quittypescriptscanning
>> \stoptypescript
>>
>> Wolfgang
>
> Thank you very much Wolfgang!
>
> I did not have the afm files, and that is why it did not work. So,
> with your latest type script file, I get the utopia and fourier fonts.
> However, the old problem that $\hat{f}$ places the hat on f at the
> wrong place and that { does not stretch (and probably much more) is

Wolfgang (or someone else), can you explain why this misbehaviour occurs?

@ 2008-10-02 17:38           ` Chen Shen
From: Chen Shen @ 2008-10-02 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

Here is a simplistic C syntax highlighter. I hope I've extracted
comments/strings/numerics (more or less) correctly.

shenchen

On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 11:44 AM, Chen Shen <hashhsah@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the pointers. It seems that the syntax-highlighter only
> need supply "function buffers.visualizers.mp.flush_line_()", which
> returns a buffer containing the typesetting commands. Will try playing
> with it.
>
> At the moment, I am looking for the feature with
> \setuptyping[option=commands]. I saw "\mksetupcommandsintype" defined,
> and "buffers.visualizers.enableescape = true" set in core-ver.mkiv,
> but it isn't handled in the default visualizer.
>
> -------------------
> \starttext
> \setuptyping[option=commands]
> \starttyping
> abc <<abc>> <</sl abc>> /BTEX{\sl abc}/ETEX
> \stoptyping
> \stoptext
> -------------------
>
> regards,
> shenchen
>
> On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 1:15 AM, Wolfgang Schuster
> <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Am 30.09.2008 um 18:37 schrieb Chen Shen:
>>
>>> Hi Wolfgang,
>>>
>>> I guess you are referring to mkii features. It seems that formatting
>>> in verbatim doesn't work in mkiv yet, or did I miss out something?
>>> None of the wiki verbatim examples worked for me.
>>
>> Syntax hyghlighting is implemented in different ways for MkII
>> and MkIV, MkII use TeX code while MkIV use Lua code to show
>> the keywords etc.
>>
>> Hans added only files for TeX, MetaPost and Lua in MkIV but
>> you could write files for more languages, you find the rules in
>> the verb-*.lua files.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Wolfgang

[-- Attachment #2: verb-cpp.lua --]

if not buffers                  then buffers                  = { } end
if not buffers.visualizers      then buffers.visualizers      = { } end
if not buffers.visualizers.c    then buffers.visualizers.cpp    = { } end

buffers.visualizers.cpp.in_ml_comment = false

buffers.visualizers.cpp.categories = {}

buffers.visualizers.cpp.delimiters = {
  '~', '!', '@', '%', '^', '&', '*', '(', ')', '-', '+',
  '=', '|', '\\', '/', '{', '}', '[', ']', ':', ';', '"',
  '\'', '<', '>', ',', '.', '?', ' '
}

buffers.visualizers.cpp.categories.keywords = {
  'auto',
  'break', 'bool',
  'case', 'char', 'const', 'continue',
  'default', 'dllexport2', 'dllimport2', 'do', 'double',
  'else', 'enum', 'extern',
  'float', 'for',
  'goto',
  'if', 'int',
  'long',
  'register', 'return',
  'short', 'signed', 'sizeof', 'static', 'struct', 'switch',
  'thread2', 'typedef',
  'union', 'unsigned',
  'void', 'volatile',
  'while'
}

buffers.visualizers.cpp.words = { }

for k,v in pairs(buffers.visualizers.cpp.categories) do
  for _,w in pairs(v) do
    buffers.visualizers.cpp.words[w] = k
  end
end

-- 1 keyword
-- 2 string
-- 3 numeric
-- 4 comment

buffers.visualizers.cpp.colors = {
    "prettyKeyword",
    "prettyString",
    "prettyNumeric",
    "prettyComment",
}

function buffers.flush_cpp_word(state, word, result)
  if #word>0 then
    local id = buffers.visualizers.cpp.words[word]
    if id then
      state = buffers.change_state(1,state,result)
      result[#result+1] = buffers.escaped(word)
      state = buffers.finish_state(state,result)
      return state
    elseif string.find(word,'^[0-9%.]') then
      state = buffers.change_state(3,state,result)
      result[#result+1] = buffers.escaped(word)
      state = buffers.finish_state(state,result)
      return state
    else
      result[#result+1] = buffers.escaped(word)
      return state
    end
  else
    state = buffers.finish_state(state,result)
    return state
  end
end

function buffers.visualizers.cpp.flush_line(str,nested)
  local i, result , word , c = 1, { }, "", ''
  local state = 0
  local delimiters=buffers.visualizers.cpp.delimiters
  local is_delimiter = false
  local in_string = false

  print('xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx')
  buffers.currentcolors = buffers.visualizers.cpp.colors

  while i <= #str do
    c=string.sub(str,i,i)
    print(c)

    if buffers.visualizers.cpp.in_ml_comment then
      state = buffers.change_state(4,state,result)
      if c=="*" and string.sub(str,i,i+1)=="*/" then
        result[#result+1] = buffers.escaped(string.sub(str,i,i+1))
        i=i+1
        buffers.visualizers.cpp.in_ml_comment = false
        state = buffers.finish_state(state,result)
      else
        result[#result+1] = buffers.escaped_chr(c)
      end
    elseif in_string then
      if string_escape then
        result[#result+1] = buffers.escaped_chr(c)
      elseif c=="\\" then
        result[#result+1] = buffers.escaped(string.sub(str,i,i+1))
        i=i+1
      elseif c=="\"" then
        result[#result+1] = buffers.escaped_chr(c)
        in_string=false
        state = buffers.finish_state(state,result)
      else
        result[#result+1] = buffers.escaped_chr(c)
      end
    else
      for _,v in ipairs(delimiters) do
        if  c==v then
          is_delimiter = true
        end
      end
      if is_delimiter then
        if c==" " then
          state = buffers.flush_cpp_word(state,word,result)
          result[#result+1] = "\\obs "
        elseif (c=="/") and string.sub(str,i,i+1)=="/*" then
          state = buffers.flush_cpp_word(state,word,result)
          buffers.visualizers.cpp.in_ml_comment = true
          state = buffers.change_state(4,state,result)
          result[#result+1] = buffers.escaped(string.sub(str,i,i+1))
          i=i+1
        elseif (c=="/") and string.sub(str,i,i+1)=="//" then
          state = buffers.flush_cpp_word(state,word,result)
          state = buffers.change_state(4,state,result)
          result[#result+1] = buffers.escaped(string.sub(str,i))
          i=#str
        elseif (c=="\"") and not in_string then
          state = buffers.flush_cpp_word(state,word,result)
          in_string = true
          state = buffers.change_state(2,state,result)
          result[#result+1] = buffers.escaped_chr(c)
        elseif (c==".") and (#word==0 or string.find(string.sub(word,1,1),'%d')) then
          word = word .. c
          is_delimiter=false
        else
          state = buffers.flush_cpp_word(state,word,result)
          result[#result+1] = buffers.escaped_chr(c)
        end
        if is_delimiter then
          word = ""
          is_delimiter=false
        end
      else
        word = word .. c
      end
    end
    i=i+1
  end
  state = buffers.flush_cpp_word(state,word,result)
  buffers.flush_result(result,false)
end

[-- Attachment #3: t1.tex --]

* Re: Listings
@ 2008-10-02 21:27     ` Mohamed Bana
From: Mohamed Bana @ 2008-10-02 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> \setupcolors[state=start]
>
> \definetyping[JAVA][option=JV]
>
> \setuptyping
>    [JAVA]
>    [numbering=line]
>
> \starttext
>
> \startJAVA
> \stopJAVA
>
> \stoptext
>
> or
>
> same preamble as above plus
>
> \definefloat[listing][listings]
>
> \starttext
>
> \placelisting
>     [split]
>     [lst:freeformlogfile]
>     {Log File}
>     {\startJAVA
>      \stopJAVA}
>
> \stoptext
>
> Wolfgang

Maybe someone should ask the authors of listings.sty if they're are
willing to port it to ConTeXt.  Here's the relevant link;
http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/listings/

* Re: Listings
@ 2008-10-03  5:49       ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2008-10-03  5:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Oct 02 2008, Mohamed Bana wrote:

> Maybe someone should ask the authors of listings.sty if they're are
> willing to port it to ConTeXt.  Here's the relevant link;
> http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/listings/

I've done that in the old days of MKII: there was too much work because of
quite a lot of LaTeX commands and the motivation was not big enough.

Now we have MKIV, that gives us a lot more possibilities and the approaches
are completely different from those in listings.sty.

Cheers, Peter

--
http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

* Re: Listings
@ 2008-10-04  1:11         ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-10-04  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 7:49 AM, Peter Münster wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 02 2008, Mohamed Bana wrote:
>
>> Maybe someone should ask the authors of listings.sty if they're are
>> willing to port it to ConTeXt.  Here's the relevant link;
>> http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/listings/
>
> I've done that in the old days of MKII: there was too much work because of
> quite a lot of LaTeX commands and the motivation was not big enough.
>
> Now we have MKIV, that gives us a lot more possibilities and the approaches
> are completely different from those in listings.sty.

And there is also the vim module. Not quite as effective as built-in
highlighting support, but it gives you access to a wide range of
programming languages almost for free.

Mojca

* Re: Experience on writing a thesis with MKIV
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-12-07  2:28 ` Mohamed Bana
From: Mohamed Bana @ 2008-12-07  2:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi Aditya,

Any news on bib module - t-bib.tex?

If enable the colouring in cite commands in macros.tex I get;

\setupcite  [interaction=start, compress=no,color=darkgreen]

Teams and games
Multi-agent systems can be classified as teams and games on the basis of
the ob-
jective of the agents. In teams all agents have the same objective; in
games, each
agent has its own objective. Historically, games were first studied in
the seminal
work of and were later developed as a subfield of mathematical economics
called
game theory (Aumann and Hart, , , ). Teams were first studied in
mathematical economics by and , and later in control systems by , , , ,
and others

Instead of;

Teams and games
Multi-agent systems can be classified as teams and games on the basis of
the ob-
jective of the agents. In teams all agents have the same objective; in
games, each
agent has its own objective. Historically, games were first studied in
the seminal
work of von Neumann and Morgenstern () and were later developed as a
sub-
field of mathematical economics called game theory (Aumann and Hart,
, ,
). Teams were first studied in mathematical economics by Radner
() and
Marschak and Radner (), and later in control systems by Witsenhausen
(a,
), Ho et al. (), Ho (), and others.

Obviously I had to move t-bib.tex from the current directory to even get
the it compile.

Thanks
Mohamed

@ 2008-12-07  2:50   ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2008-12-07  2:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Mohamed,

On Sun, 7 Dec 2008, Mohamed Bana wrote:

> Hi Aditya,
>
> Any news on bib module - t-bib.tex?

Sorry for not replying to your earlier message.

> If enable the colouring in cite commands in macros.tex I get;
>
> \setupcite  [interaction=start, compress=no,color=darkgreen]

The current bib module does not support changing the color of links. The
color=darkgreen was a local change that I did in my copy of t-bib. So,
color=darkgreen should just be silently ignored. However, compress=no does
affect the output of the \cite command but I do not understand why it
changes things like like Aumann and Hart (...) instead of (Aumann and
Hard, ... ).

Can you try to create a minimal example just using the bib
module specific setups?

Aditya

@ 2008-12-08 23:19     ` Mohamed Bana
From: Mohamed Bana @ 2008-12-08 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi Aditya,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I did a fresh checkout and tried to compile, I uncommented out these
lines from the beginning of macros.tex.

L3 \setupcolors[state=start]
L16 \setupcite  [interaction=start, compress=no,color=] %darkgreen]

L276-278 in env-thesis.tex

\setupinteraction[state=start,style=,color=]
\setupinteraction[focus=standard]

It's still the same;

Multi-agent systems can be classified as teams and games on the basis of
the ob-
jective of the agents. In teams all agents have the same objective; in
games, each
agent has its own objective. Historically, games were first studied in
the seminal
work of and were later developed as a subfield of mathematical economics
called
game theory (Aumann and Hart, , , ). Teams were first studied in
mathematical economics by and , and later in control systems by , , , ,
and others.

Version:

ConTeXt  ver: 2008.11.30 14:39 MKIV  fmt: 2008.12.1  int: english/english

And have you seen this error;

! LuaTeX error
...nimals/tex/texmf-local/tex/context/base/core-syn.lua:71: attempt to
call field 'process' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
	...nimals/tex/texmf-local/tex/context/base/core-syn.lua:71: in function
'process'
	...nimals/tex/texmf-local/tex/context/base/core-syn.lua:125: in
function 'process'
	<main ctx instance>:1: in main chunk.
\mkloadsortedlist ...xlua {joblists.process('#1')}
                                                   \getvalue {\s!reset
#1}\eg...
\doplacelistofsynonyms ... ]\mkloadsortedlist {#1}
                                                   \endgroup
\ifutilitydone \...
l.162 \placelistofabbreviations

@ 2008-12-09  0:40       ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2008-12-09  0:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Mohamed,

On Mon, 8 Dec 2008, Mohamed Bana wrote:

> Hi Aditya,
>
> Thanks for getting back to me.
>
> I did a fresh checkout and tried to compile, I uncommented out these lines
> from the beginning of macros.tex.
>
> L3 \setupcolors[state=start]
> L16 \setupcite  [interaction=start, compress=no,color=] %darkgreen]
>

> L276-278 in env-thesis.tex
>
> \setupinteraction[state=start,style=,color=]
> \setupinteraction[focus=standard]
>

> It's still the same;

I followed the same steps. Downloaded the files from
http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~adityam/publications/thesis/thesis.tar.gz

unzipped them, removed t-bib.tex from the current directory, made the
changes indicated by you above, and did "context thesis". Everything
compiles files (there is one warning about Delicious-Bold.otf).

> Version:
>
> ConTeXt  ver: 2008.11.30 14:39 MKIV  fmt: 2008.12.1  int: english/english
>
> And have you seen this error;
>
> ! LuaTeX error ...nimals/tex/texmf-local/tex/context/base/core-syn.lua:71:
> attempt to call field 'process' (a nil value)
> stack traceback:
> 	...nimals/tex/texmf-local/tex/context/base/core-syn.lua:71: in
> function 'process'
> 	...nimals/tex/texmf-local/tex/context/base/core-syn.lua:125: in
> function 'process'
> 	<main ctx instance>:1: in main chunk.
> \mkloadsortedlist ...xlua {joblists.process('#1')}
>                                                  \getvalue {\s!reset
> #1}\eg...
> \doplacelistofsynonyms ... ]\mkloadsortedlist {#1}
>                                                  \endgroup \ifutilitydone
> \...
> l.162 \placelistofabbreviations

An error like this usually means that luatex or mtxrun is old.

I am using context version  version: 2008.11.10 21:40 (hmmm... that is
after a fresh update from the minimals, which is strange) and  LuaTeX,
Version snapshot-0.31.0-2008120715.

I do not know if something broke in a newer version of context, but for
that I will first need to figure out why my minimals are not being
updated.

Since I was at it, I redid the local change in t-bib so that I can have
citations of different colors. Also changed a few other macros, to work
well with colors (I had stopped playing with colors a while back ...). I
am uploading the changed files and the typeset pdf file at

http://pantheon.yale.edu/~am894/temp/

Try to download and compile this and see if it works. In the mean time I
will investigate why minimals aren't being updated on my machine.

Aditya

* Sorting bug in context-alpha (was: Experience on writing a thesis with MKIV)
@ 2008-12-09  1:22         ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2008-12-09  1:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 8 Dec 2008, Aditya Mahajan wrote:

> Try to download and compile this and see if it works. In the mean time I will
> investigate why minimals aren't being updated on my machine.

Context minimals are fine. I did not notice before that context-beta was
last updated on 2008.11.10. That is almost a month!!! I updated to the
latest alpha and there is a bug. If I comment \placeabbreviations in
frontmatter.tex, then the entire document compiles fine.

> On Mon, 8 Dec 2008, Mohamed Bana wrote:
>
>> ConTeXt  ver: 2008.11.30 14:39 MKIV  fmt: 2008.12.1  int: english/english
>>
>> And have you seen this error;
>>
>> ! LuaTeX error ...nimals/tex/texmf-local/tex/context/base/core-syn.lua:71:
>> attempt to call field 'process' (a nil value)
>> stack traceback:
>> 	...nimals/tex/texmf-local/tex/context/base/core-syn.lua:71: in
>> function 'process'
>> 	...nimals/tex/texmf-local/tex/context/base/core-syn.lua:125: in
>> function 'process'
>> 	<main ctx instance>:1: in main chunk.
>> \mkloadsortedlist ...xlua {joblists.process('#1')}
>>                                                  \getvalue {\s!reset
>> #1}\eg...
>> \doplacelistofsynonyms ... ]\mkloadsortedlist {#1}
>>                                                  \endgroup \ifutilitydone
>> \...
>> l.162 \placelistofabbreviations

Hans, there is a bug in the sorting code. Minimal example:

%====================================
\abbreviation  {ABC} {Alpha Beta Company}

\starttext
\placelistofabbreviations
We use \abc.
\stoptext
%=====================================

context version: 2008.12.01 10:25
LuaTeX, Version snapshot-0.31.0-2008120715, build unknown

This gives the error that Mohamed reported above.

@ 2008-12-09  2:59         ` Mohamed Bana
From: Mohamed Bana @ 2008-12-09  2:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

No the citations aren't working.

Am I the only one who thinks ConTeXt needs a extensive set of regression
tests?

Adiyta, you shouldn't have hard-coded:

./frontmatter.tex:\startcolor[darkred]\titlefont \hskip 1.5em Chapters
\stopcolor}

Changing L191 env-thesis.tex, has no effect, such as:

\setuplist [chapter][color=darkblue]
\setuplist [Title]  [color=darkblue]

"Chapters" still comes out as darkred.

@ 2008-12-09  3:26           ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2008-12-09  3:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 9 Dec 2008, Mohamed Bana wrote:

> No the citations aren't working.

This is really strange. It is working at my end with the latest version of
t-bib. Can you send me your log and pdf file.

> Am I the only one who thinks ConTeXt needs a extensive set of regression
> tests?

No. We have discussed this extensively in the past. There is also a
context-test svn repository with a script that can automatically check if
the pdf output changed with different version. However, it has been dormat
for about a year now. For more info see

http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Test

and add more tests.

> Adiyta, you shouldn't have hard-coded:
>
> ./frontmatter.tex:\startcolor[darkred]\titlefont \hskip 1.5em Chapters
> \stopcolor}

Yeah, I know. This was just a quick change, so I did not bother with
elegance. The "proper" way of doing it would be to define a titlecolor
and use that.

@ 2008-12-09 14:18           ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-12-09 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 3:59 AM, Mohamed Bana wrote:

> No the citations aren't working.
>
> Am I the only one who thinks ConTeXt needs a extensive set of regression tests?

No, you aren't. But you could be the first one to start worknig on it :) :) :)

Mojca

* Re: Experience on writing a thesis with MKIV
@ 2008-12-09 18:17             ` Mohamed Bana
From: Mohamed Bana @ 2008-12-09 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

sorry about the late reply, my minimals broke so i had to wait for a fix.

t-bib-2008.12.01.zip

$ luatex --version
This is LuaTeX, Version snapshot-0.30.3-2008112812, build unknown
$ context --version
MtxRun | main context file:
/home/mbana/context-minimals/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/context.tex
MtxRun | current version: 2008.11.10 21:40

http://filebin.ca/jqqekq/thesis.pdf or http://filebin.ca/jqqekq
http://filebin.ca/uhvgex/thesis.log or http://filebin.ca/uhvgex

@ 2008-12-09 19:36               ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2008-12-09 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 9 Dec 2008, Mohamed Bana wrote:

> sorry about the late reply, my minimals broke so i had to wait for a fix.
>

> t-bib-2008.12.01.zip
>
> $ luatex --version
> This is LuaTeX, Version snapshot-0.30.3-2008112812, build unknown
> $ context --version
> MtxRun | main context file:
> /home/mbana/context-minimals/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/context.tex
> MtxRun | current version: 2008.11.10 21:40
>
> http://filebin.ca/jqqekq/thesis.pdf or http://filebin.ca/jqqekq
> http://filebin.ca/uhvgex/thesis.log or http://filebin.ca/uhvgex

How are you compiling your files? Use "context thesis" and not "texexec
--lua thesis" (texexec will run bibtex which will overwrite the existing
bbl file, since you do not have any bib file, the bbl file will be empty).

If you are running "context thesis" what happens when your rerun context
three times (normally, context should do this on its own, but just to make
sure). If none of these help, can you zip all the files and upload them.

@ 2008-12-09 21:23                 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2008-12-09 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Dec 2008, Mohamed Bana wrote:
>
>> sorry about the late reply, my minimals broke so i had to wait for a fix.
>>

>> t-bib-2008.12.01.zip
>>
>> $ luatex --version
>> This is LuaTeX, Version snapshot-0.30.3-2008112812, build unknown
>> $ context --version
>> MtxRun | main context file:
>> /home/mbana/context-minimals/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/context.tex
>>
>> MtxRun | current version: 2008.11.10 21:40
>>
>> http://filebin.ca/jqqekq/thesis.pdf or http://filebin.ca/jqqekq
>> http://filebin.ca/uhvgex/thesis.log or http://filebin.ca/uhvgex
>
> How are you compiling your files? Use "context thesis" and not "texexec
> --lua thesis" (texexec will run bibtex which will overwrite the existing
> bbl file, since you do not have any bib file, the bbl file will be empty).

Please note that my latest upload to modules.contextgarden runs
bibtex itself, in mkiv mode.

Taco

* Re: Experience on writing a thesis with MKIV
@ 2008-12-09 21:49                   ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2008-12-09 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 9 Dec 2008, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> Aditya Mahajan wrote:
>> On Tue, 9 Dec 2008, Mohamed Bana wrote:
>>
>>> sorry about the late reply, my minimals broke so i had to wait for a fix.
>>>

>>> t-bib-2008.12.01.zip
>>>
>>> $ luatex --version
>>> This is LuaTeX, Version snapshot-0.30.3-2008112812, build unknown
>>> $ context --version
>>> MtxRun | main context file:
>>> /home/mbana/context-minimals/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/context.tex
>>> MtxRun | current version: 2008.11.10 21:40
>>>
>>> http://filebin.ca/jqqekq/thesis.pdf or http://filebin.ca/jqqekq
>>> http://filebin.ca/uhvgex/thesis.log or http://filebin.ca/uhvgex
>>
>> How are you compiling your files? Use "context thesis" and not "texexec
>> --lua thesis" (texexec will run bibtex which will overwrite the existing
>> bbl file, since you do not have any bib file, the bbl file will be empty).
>
> Please note that my latest upload to modules.contextgarden runs
> bibtex itself, in mkiv mode.

Ah, so that explains why Mohamed is not getting any citations. I was using
"latest" minimals from yesterday which still have t-bib from 2008.10.27.

Taco, I also have a feature request for the bib module. Currently,
\setupcite is defined as

\def\dosetupcite[#1][#2]%
   {\ifsecondargument
      \def\dodosetupcite##1{\getparameters[\??pv##1][#2]}%
      \processcommalist[#1]\dodosetupcite
    \else % default case
      \getparameters[\??pv\@@citedefault][#1]%
    \fi }

This means that if I say

\setupcite[compress=no], this option is only passed to the default cite
command. This means that when interaction is enabled, (and the bibl-* file
says compress=yes), we get no styles for other cite styles. Does it
make sense to add a keyword "all" so that

\setupcite[all][...] is equal to
\setupcite
   [author,authoryear,authoryears,
    year,serial,authornum,page,short,type,doi,url,num]
   [...]

Also, can we add style and color options to \cite. These can be either
passed to \setupinteraction in \docite or simply added using attributes in
the output of \cite.

Mohamed, to get the references to work comment

\setupbibtex          [database={IEEEfull,../collection}, sort=author]

in macros.tex and add

\dousepublications[thesis]

You can also use the official way: \usepublications[thesis], but I think
that this will cause warnings about redefined labels. Perhaps a better way
would be to change thesis.bbl to say thesis-ref.bbl and then use
\usepublications[thesis-ref].

@ 2008-12-10  9:24                     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2008-12-10  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> Does is make sense to add a keyword "all" so that
>
> \setupcite[all][...] is equal to
> \setupcite
>   [author,authoryear,authoryears,
>    year,serial,authornum,page,short,type,doi,url,num]
>   [...]
>

> Also, can we add style and color options to \cite. These can be either
> passed to \setupinteraction in \docite or simply added using attributes
> in the output of \cite.

I certainly don't mind, but I am deep into other stuff right now.
If you have a patch, I can apply that at any time you want. Otherwise,
it will be January before I revisit the bib code.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: Experience on writing a thesis with MKIV
@ 2008-12-11  2:20                     ` Mohamed Bana
From: Mohamed Bana @ 2008-12-11  2:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

This is very strange, I did a fresh checkout and everything *just* worked.

$ luatex --version
This is LuaTeX, Version snapshot-0.30.3-2008112812, build unknown
$ context --version
MtxRun | main context file:
/home/mbana/context-minimals/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/context.tex
MtxRun | current version: 2008.11.10 21:40

Hopefully this will be my last question; how do you compile individual
chapters?

@ 2008-12-11  3:17                       ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2008-12-11  3:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008, Mohamed Bana wrote:

> This is very strange, I did a fresh checkout and everything *just* worked.

Great. Because I had no idea why it was not working at your end :-)

> Hopefully this will be my last question; how do you compile individual
> chapters?

>From top directory

context chapters/chapter-01.tex

>From the chapters directory

context chapter-01.tex

@ 2008-12-15  3:52                         ` Mohamed Bana
From: Mohamed Bana @ 2008-12-15  3:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi Aditya

Are you aware of this

using
\setupindenting   [big,yes]

in L 263 env-thesis.tex instead of the default;

\setupindenting   [medium,yes]

results in 'Chapters' in the TOC being indented slightly more than
References, Abstract etc.  give it a try, you'll notice that it
protrudes slightly more than the other entries.