From: Mikael Persson <mickep@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Mathdesign and Fourier fonts (was What do you miss in ConTeXt?)
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 11:15:41 +0100	[thread overview]

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 10:10 PM, Mikael Persson <mickep@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 1:42 PM, Mikael Persson <mickep@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> it depends ... if the font is in tex default encoding then it's only a
>>> matter of adding a small table
>>
>> I'm not 100% sure how it works wth font encodings, but the fourier doc
>> (http://mirror.ctan.org/fonts/fourier-GUT/doc/latex/fourier/fourier-doc-en.pdf)
>> says that the fonts are _fully_ T1 encoded.
>>
>> Mikael
>>
>> PS: Hans, do you have any comments about the mathdesign patch
>> suggested by Mojca above?
>
> I have now manually downloaded the mathdesign fonts (and the charter
> fonts, not available on the server it seems)
>
> The fonts gets used, but I get upright math letters instead of italic
> ones. My test file is given by
>
> \definetypeface[charter][rm][serif][charter]     [default]
> \definetypeface[charter][mm][math] [charter]     [default]
>
> \setupbodyfont[charter,10pt]
>
> \starttext
> We define, for real $x$, the absolute value of $x$ as
> \startformula
> |x|=
> \startcases
> \NC \hphantom{-}x \MC x\geq 0,\NR
> \NC -x \MC x<0.\NR
> \stopcases
> \stopformula
> Also let $\alpha$, $\beta$ and $\Gamma$ be\dots
> \stoptext
>
> The output can be found at
>
> http://home.imf.au.dk/mickep/mdesign.pdf
>
> Typesetting a similar document with LaTeX I get italic math (note also
> that the \Gamma is upright, I guess that this is an option that is
> turned on by default by LaTeX)
>
> http://home.imf.au.dk/mickep/lmdesign.pdf
>
> I guess this has something to do with the following lines in math-vfu.lua
>
> mathematics.make_font ( "charter-math", {
>    { name = "file:bchr8a", features = "virtualmath", main = true },
>  -- { name = "md-chr7m.tfm", vector = "tex-mr" },
>    { name = "md-chri7m.tfm", vector = "tex-mi", skewchar=0x7F },
>    { name = "md-chri7m.tfm", vector = "tex-it", skewchar=0x7F },
>    { name = "md-chr7y.tfm", vector = "tex-sy", skewchar=0x30,
> parameters = true },
>    { name = "md-chr7v.tfm", vector = "tex-ex", extension = true },
>    { name = "msam10.tfm", vector = "tex-ma" },
>    { name = "msbm10.tfm", vector = "tex-mb" },
> } )
>
> However, I am not able guess what to change (I tried different things
> available in mdbch.map).
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Mikael

Hans, Mojca, Aditya, Wolfgang and others

1) Can anyone confirm this problem in the previous mail or point out
what might be wrong?
2) The problem Troy had with lucida, is it the same?
3) What is needed to get fourier fonts working? Is it enough adding to
math-vfu.lua an entry like
mathematics.make_font ( "fourier-math", { ...
})
with the right names for fourier? I tried this, but no math fonts is
showing up in the pdf file. In what other file should I add changes.
I'm willing to do some trial and error to get it to work...

Best regards, Mikael