* [ANN] XEmTeX 0.5-RC0
@ 2005-06-01 13:23 Fabrice Popineau
From: Fabrice Popineau @ 2005-06-01 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

that has been posted to comp.text.tex as well.

XEmTeX is a Windows integrated distribution of PDFeTeX, LaTeX, ConTeXt, TeX4ht
plus XEmacs playing the text editor. The version 0.5-RC0 is available
for download. It fixes many bugs of the previous 0.5-beta2 version.

You will find all details on::
http://www.metz.supelec.fr/~popineau/xemtex-1.html
The page http://www.fptex.org/ has been redirected to the same location.

Beware: it is required to uninstall any previous version before trying
to install any new one.

I will be glad to hear about comments and hints to make that could help
to enhance this distribution.

Best regards,

--
Fabrice Popineau
------------------------

* Re: [ANN] XEmTeX 0.5-RC0
@ 2005-06-01 18:03 ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2005-06-01 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: aleph

Hi Fabrice,
My congratulations on the release of XEmTeX!

A question: Since XEmTeX is explicitly pdfeTeX based: Will Aleph (which
produces (o)dvi) and dvipdfmx be supported?

As development continutes, might I very humbly-) suggest the following:

What the TeX world sorely lacks right now is a good Unicode editor,
particularly in the areas of bidi and Arabic script. There is apparently
only one editor in the world that does unicode, bidi, and arabic script
correctly, and that's UniPad (http://www.unipad.org/main/ ), but it's not
free (as in speech) and lacks many-to-most TeX-related features. My
concern about XEmacs is that there appears to be virtually no movement in
the direction of this kind of multilingual support, something I find
astonishing here in 2005-)

But congratulations once again (and thnx 4 all your past help)

All the best!!
Idris

--
Professor Idris Samawi Hamid
Department of Philosophy

* Re: [Aleph] Re: [ANN] XEmTeX 0.5-RC0
@ 2005-06-01 19:11   ` Fabrice Popineau
From: Fabrice Popineau @ 2005-06-01 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Idris Samawi Hamid <ishamid@colostate.edu> writes:

    > Hi Fabrice, My congratulations on the release of XEmTeX!

Thanks.

    > A question: Since XEmTeX is explicitly pdfeTeX based: Will Aleph
    > (which produces (o)dvi) and dvipdfmx be supported?

Both Aleph and dvipdfmx (latest CVS version) are provided.
You can get the standalone versions too from the same web page.

    > and lacks many-to-most TeX-related features. My concern about
    > XEmacs is that there appears to be virtually no movement in the
    > direction of this kind of multilingual support, something I find
    > astonishing here in 2005-)

When I started using XEmacs, the developers were very active. Nowadays,
it is quite calm in this area. I have the impression that the situation
has been made very messy by the introduction of Mule long ago and that
it will be very difficult to make the switch to Unicode, to speak only
about the internals.

Regards,

Fabrice