* [NTG-context] hyphenation inside quotation
@ 2023-08-19 14:01 Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2023-08-19 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

is this a limitation or a bug? Text inside \quotation{} is not
hyphenated. It appears to be like this for a couple of versions, but I'm
not sure if it has always been the case. Silly example to test:

\mainlanguage [de]

\setuppapersize [A6]

\setupbodyfont [14pt]

\starttext

„Originalgenie“ „Originalgenie“ „Originalgenie“

\quotation{Originalgenie} \quotation{Originalgenie}
\quotation{Originalgenie}

\stoptext

All best

Thomas

* [NTG-context] Re: hyphenation inside quotation
@ 2023-08-19 15:51 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2023-08-19 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz schrieb am 19.08.2023 um 16:01:
> Hi,
>
> is this a limitation or a bug? Text inside \quotation{} is not
> hyphenated. It appears to be like this for a couple of versions, but
> I'm not sure if it has always been the case. Silly example to test:

You can use the font method to have hyphenated words back.
The culprit which prevents hyphenation are the penalty settings
which are added by ConTeXt when the default method is used.

\mainlanguage [de]

\setuppapersize [A6]

\setupquotation[method=text]

\starttext

„Originalgenie“ „Originalgenie“ „Originalgenie“

\quotation{Originalgenie} \quotation{Originalgenie}
\quotation{Originalgenie}

„\penalty\plustenthousand Originalgenie\penalty\plustenthousand“
„\penalty\plustenthousand Originalgenie\penalty\plustenthousand“
„\penalty\plustenthousand Originalgenie\penalty\plustenthousand“

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* [NTG-context] Re: hyphenation inside quotation
@ 2023-08-19 16:10   ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2023-08-19 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 8/19/23 17:51, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> You can use the font method to have hyphenated words back.
> The culprit which prevents hyphenation are the penalty settings
> which are added by ConTeXt when the default method is used.
>
> \mainlanguage [de]
>
> \setuppapersize [A6]
>
> \setupquotation[method=text]

Hi Wolfgang,

as always, thanks for the precise explanation. Is there a reason why
this behavior is not the default? I.e.: in what situations would the
default behavior be (more) desirable? Or is it just because
\setupquotation is a subset of \setupdelimitedtext?

@ 2023-08-20  6:32     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2023-08-20  6:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz schrieb am 19.08.2023 um 18:10:
> On 8/19/23 17:51, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>
>> You can use the font method to have hyphenated words back.
>> The culprit which prevents hyphenation are the penalty settings
>> which are added by ConTeXt when the default method is used.
>>
>> \mainlanguage [de]
>>
>> \setuppapersize [A6]
>>
>> \setupquotation[method=text]
>>
> Hi Wolfgang,
>
> as always, thanks for the precise explanation. Is there a reason why
> this behavior is not the default? I.e.: in what situations would the
> default behavior be (more) desirable? Or is it just because
> \setupquotation is a subset of \setupdelimitedtext?

Quotation is a instance of delimitedtext and the \setupquotation command
is \setupdelimitedtext[quotation].

In the next release you don't need the method=font anymore because the
missing hyphenation
is the result of a old patch which was needed in 2013. Back than there
was no problem
with hyphenation and the patch but since than Hans added a few new
features to Luametatex
to improve the quotation mechanism and the patch results now in the
unwanted side effect.

Wolfgang

* [NTG-context] Re: hyphenation inside quotation
@ 2023-08-22  7:59       ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2023-08-22  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

> In the next release you don't need the method=font anymore because the
> missing hyphenation
> is the result of a old patch which was needed in 2013. Back than there
> was no problem
> with hyphenation and the patch but since than Hans added a few new
> features to Luametatex
> to improve the quotation mechanism and the patch results now in the
> unwanted side effect.

I always had \setupdelimitedtext[quotation][method=font] in my
environments without really understanding it (remark: enables hanging
quotation marks).

So both methods (font/text) are obsolete now / with an upcoming update?

Hraban

* [NTG-context] Re: hyphenation inside quotation
@ 2023-08-22  8:09         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2023-08-22  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 8/22/2023 9:59 AM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
> Am 20.08.23 um 08:32 schrieb Wolfgang Schuster:
>
>> In the next release you don't need the method=font anymore because the
>> missing hyphenation
>> is the result of a old patch which was needed in 2013. Back than there
>> was no problem
>> with hyphenation and the patch but since than Hans added a few new
>> features to Luametatex
>> to improve the quotation mechanism and the patch results now in the
>> unwanted side effect.
>
> I always had \setupdelimitedtext[quotation][method=font] in my
> environments without really understanding it (remark: enables hanging
> quotation marks).
>
> So both methods (font/text) are obsolete now / with an upcoming update?
no, we only remove a penalty preventing hyphensation .. there is no need
to change this mechanism

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE