* interline space default changed?
@ 2020-01-09 10:08 Sandra Snan
From: Sandra Snan @ 2020-01-09 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

I was rerunning ConTeXt on some older documents and the interline space
isn't the same. Sure, the new default looks great, but what was the old
default? I need to match what I've already published. Thank you♥

Sandra

* Re: interline space default changed?
@ 2020-01-09 12:04 ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2020-01-09 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 1/9/20 11:08 AM, Sandra Snan wrote:
> I was rerunning ConTeXt on some older documents and the interline space
> isn't the same. Sure, the new default looks great, but what was the old
> default? I need to match what I've already published. Thank you♥

Hi Sandra,

which version did you use to generate those documents?

I mean, \setupinterlinespace defaults are defined in spac-def.mkiv (for
MkIV), which read in the latest beta:

    \setupinterlinespace
      [\c!minheight=0pt, % only special purpose
       \c!mindepth=0pt, % only special purpose
       \c!height=.72,
       \c!depth=.28,
       \c!top=1.0,
       \c!bottom=0.4,
       \c!distance=1pt,
       \c!line=2.8ex,
       \c!stretch=0]

In MkII, the definition seems to be basically the same in latest beta.

There is a GitHub repo at
https://github.com/contextgarden/context-mirror/. Older defaults could
be checked there.

BTW, I thought that the default was "\setupinterlinespace[line=2.85ex]".
But it seems that it is 2.8ex since at least 2013
(http://pmrb.free.fr/contextref.pdf#page=113).

It might be that default values for interline space haven’t been
modified in ConTeXt for a long while.

Just in case it helps,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: interline space default changed?
@ 2020-01-09 12:29 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2020-01-09 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 1/9/2020 11:08 AM, Sandra Snan wrote:
> I was rerunning ConTeXt on some older documents and the interline space
> isn't the same. Sure, the new default looks great, but what was the old
> default? I need to match what I've already published. Thank you♥
The interlinespace is defined in 'ex' units so it depends on that value
in the font that you use ... maybe the font changed?

Hans

* Re: interline space default changed?
@ 2020-01-09 13:47   ` Sandra Snan
From: Sandra Snan @ 2020-01-09 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you so much for the swift reply, Hans. Much appreciated.

Hans Hagen <j.hagen@xs4all.nl> writes:

> On 1/9/2020 11:08 AM, Sandra Snan wrote:
>> I was rerunning ConTeXt on some older documents and the interline space
>> isn't the same. Sure, the new default looks great, but what was the old
>> default? I need to match what I've already published. Thank you♥
> The interlinespace is defined in 'ex' units so it depends on that value
> in the font that you use ... maybe the font changed?

That's certainly possible. I switched computers and distros so all of
those things might've been refreshed or altered upstream. I'm using
Junicode for the main & bold but with Tex Gyre Schola for italic, and
then grabbing miscellaneoussymbols out of a DejaVu Serif fallback and
using DejaVu Sans Mono for mono (althought this particular page doesn't
have any mono). If it isn't that case that those fonts have changed
their metrics, which I wouldn't know, I'm kinda out of the loop
generally (#unplugged), I was thinking that maybe the culprit could be
that it used to work off of the italic's ex height and now works off of
the main's ex height but that's just wild guessing on my part.

I'm working around the problem by setting the interline space to
3.0675ex which makes the recompiled pages match the previously compiled
pages exactly. (I don't know why that number. I found it by trying every
number and seeing what matched.) The previously compiled pages didn't
have an interline space set.

Thanks again.

@ 2020-01-09 14:07     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2020-01-09 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 1/9/2020 2:47 PM, Sandra Snan wrote:
> Thank you so much for the swift reply, Hans. Much appreciated.
>
> Hans Hagen <j.hagen@xs4all.nl> writes:
>
>> On 1/9/2020 11:08 AM, Sandra Snan wrote:
>>> I was rerunning ConTeXt on some older documents and the interline space
>>> isn't the same. Sure, the new default looks great, but what was the old
>>> default? I need to match what I've already published. Thank you♥
>> The interlinespace is defined in 'ex' units so it depends on that value
>> in the font that you use ... maybe the font changed?
>
> That's certainly possible. I switched computers and distros so all of
> those things might've been refreshed or altered upstream. I'm using
> Junicode for the main & bold but with Tex Gyre Schola for italic, and
> then grabbing miscellaneoussymbols out of a DejaVu Serif fallback and
> using DejaVu Sans Mono for mono (althought this particular page doesn't
> have any mono). If it isn't that case that those fonts have changed
> their metrics, which I wouldn't know, I'm kinda out of the loop
> generally (#unplugged), I was thinking that maybe the culprit could be
> that it used to work off of the italic's ex height and now works off of
> the main's ex height but that's just wild guessing on my part.

if you still have the old installation you can do this someplace in the
file:

\the\dimex2.8ex % or whatever value you used for interlinespacing

and then use the reported value in the updated installation