On 2017-01-20 23:54, Alan Braslau wrote: > On Fri, 20 Jan 2017 22:33:40 -0500 > Rik Kabel wrote: > >> Can anyone suggest a better way to compose such symbols than using >> the raw TeX commands used here? Is there a more ConTeXt-ish way to do >> this? Is it possible to get options to center the glyphs from which >> the symbol is assembled (separate horizontal and vertical, with the >> ability to offset them)? >> >> Is there a ConTeXt way other than \definesymbol to create such >> combined symbols? > MetaPost (with textext())? Thank you for that, Alan. I hadn’t ever used MetaPost before, thinking it was too complex for my needs. Now I see it may be quite useful. So, how can I make the inner glyph (‘?’ in the example below) transparent, so that the background shows through along with anything else that lives on a lower layer? I’ve seen a method for constructed shapes, but nothing that I can apply to text glyphs. Undraw doesn’t do it. \setupbackgrounds [page] [background=color,backgroundcolor=yellow] \definefont [DVSrB] [file:DejaVuSerif-Bold.ttf] \startuseMPgraphic{HeartTest} picture h; h := "♥" infont "\truefontname{DejaVuSerif-Bold.ttf}" scaled 20; picture q; q := textext("{\DVSrB ?}") scaled 10; % just a different way q := q shifted - (xpart center q, 12pt) ; draw h withcolor blue; undraw q; % this doesn't do it \stopuseMPgraphic \starttext \useMPgraphic{HeartTest} \stoptext -- Rik