From: Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl>
To: Tommaso Gordini via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl>
Cc: Pablo Rodriguez <oinos@gmx.es>
Subject: Re: Problem with LMTX on macOS: no format file given, quitting
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2023 17:34:44 +0100	[thread overview]

On 2/12/23 16:28, Tommaso Gordini via ntg-context wrote:
> [...]
> However, I also get this:
>
> charlie@Air-di-Tommaso ~ % luametatex
> startup error : no format file given, quitting

Hi Tommaso,

my ConTeXt LMTX is fully functional and I get this message too.

> Also, I created the TeXShop engine as indicated on the page (I've done
> it before with no problems).
> However, now when I run LMTX from editor to compose a source, the source
> is compiled with MkIV Standalone, which I have in another folder
> (/Users/charlie/Documents/ConTeXt/ConTeXt-MkIV). LMTX doesn't even work
> from a terminal, of course.

I’m on Linux, so no TeXShop here.

BTW, I’m not sure "luametatex" may work as you intend (without any
format file).

> The curious thing is that even by launching the ConTeXt present in TeX
> Live, what really works is always MkIV Standalone.

I don‘t think ConTeXt from TeX Live includes LMTX
(https://ctan.org/search?phrase=luametatex).

> Do you have any idea where I might have gone wrong?

My guess is that when you invoke ConTeXt, you are running it from TeX
Live (or from other than the wiki installation).

To check that, what do you get from "which context"?

Which is your output from "context --version"?

My system reads:

  mtx-context     | current version: 2023.02.07 19:06

When in doubt run the following (given the paths you provided):

  cd ~/Documents/ConTeXt/ConTeXt-LMTX/
  sh ./install.sh
  cd && context --version

And you should get what my system reads (unless there is an update today).

I hope it helps,

Pablo