* Question on headings and text around them
@ 2015-11-23 22:16 josephcanedo
From: josephcanedo @ 2015-11-23 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Dear all,

In some text I am typesetting I noticed that the text following a section was always starting on same page (which is all fine), but in some cases the text preceding the section heading was also finishing on same page, ie the last paragraph before the section heading was broken in previous page, say N lines on previous page and 2 in the page in which the section starts (I have \widowpenalty10000 that’s probably why there are 2 lines in new page), even if there is space in the previous page for the 2 lines (there are even 3 blank lines at the end of the page).

Apparently I could solve this “problem”, adding some 0 penalty:

\definevspacing[BeforeHeading][penalty:0]

\def\BeforeBook{\blank[BeforeHeading, line]} % was \def\BeforeBook{\blank[line]} which seems to avoid breaking page between text before heading and heading itself

\setuphead[section][before=\BeforeBook]

My question is simply, is that a correct way to fix the problem, or is that just “luck” this fixes the issue ?

Thanks a lot,

Best regards

Joseph Canedo

* Re: Question on headings and text around them
@ 2015-11-24 12:52 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2015-11-24 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/23/2015 11:16 PM, josephcanedo@gmail.com wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> In some text I am typesetting I noticed that the text following a
> section was always starting on same page (which is all fine), but in
> some cases the text preceding the section heading was also finishing on
> same page, ie the last paragraph before the section heading was broken
> in previous page, say N lines on previous page and 2 in the page in
> which the section starts (I have \widowpenalty10000 that’s probably why
> there are 2 lines in new page), even if there is space in the previous
> page for the 2 lines (there are even 3 blank lines at the end of the page).
>
> Apparently I could solve this “problem”, adding some 0 penalty:
>
> \definevspacing[BeforeHeading][penalty:0]
>
> \def\BeforeBook{\blank[BeforeHeading, line]} % was
> \def\BeforeBook{\blank[line]} which seems to avoid breaking page between
> text before heading and heading itself
>
> \setuphead[section][before=\BeforeBook]
>
> My question is simply, is that a correct way to fix the problem, or is
> that just “luck” this fixes the issue ?

you need to make a (minimal) example that shows the issue

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2015-11-24 20:57   ` josephcanedo
From: josephcanedo @ 2015-11-24 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hans,

Thanks for replying, Actually I realise the problem is with column break (was a bit late when I wrote my message, sorry for this).

I prepared a small example + output I get.

I am not saying the output is necessarly bad, but I’d like to know how to avoid the paragraph being broken and the 4 empty lines in the first column (at least in the example), or know what I am doing wrong. It looks like there is some setting “attaching” the last 2 lines of paragraph to the next section heading.

Thanks

Best regards

Joseph

$ context --version

mtx-context     | ConTeXt Process Management 0.62
mtx-context     |
mtx-context     | main context file: c:/ConTeXt/0.85/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/context.mkiv
mtx-context     | current version: 2015.11.19 19:13