From: Hans Hagen <j.hagen@xs4all.nl>
To: denis.maier@ub.unibe.ch, ntg-context@ntg.nl
Subject: Re: Keeping track of hyphenations
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2021 19:09:25 +0100	[thread overview]

On 3/19/2021 1:00 PM, denis.maier@ub.unibe.ch wrote:
> [...]
Forget about specific pagenumbers ... pages can get broken in the middle
   of a paragraph and it's not worth the trouble of keeping track of /
analyzing that detail (as usual all can be done but these are features
that hardly anyone uses, get forgotten and probably no one can find
where it's documents because no one expects it).

Anyway, a pre-weekend distaction:

\starttext

\enabletrackers[hyphenation.applied]
\enabletrackers[hyphenation.applied.console]

\dontcomplain \dostepwiserecurse{0}{15}{1}{
     {\advance\hsize -#1cm \input tufte \par}
}

\stoptext

This will give you in the log file (first and second); the test run has
narrow lines where one word crossed several lines, which actually is the
main complication here:

hyhenated       > start hyphenated words

hyhenated       >    2 : ab-stract,
hyhenated       >    1 : ag-gre-gate,
hyhenated       >    3 : ag-gregate,
hyhenated       >    3 : aggre-gate,
hyhenated       >    1 : ap-prox-i-mate,
hyhenated       >    2 : ap-proximate,
hyhenated       >    3 : approx-imate,
hyhenated       >    1 : approxi-mate,
hyhenated       >    1 : av-er-age,
hyhenated       >    1 : av-erage,
hyhenated       >    3 : be-cause
hyhenated       >    1 : ca-pac-ity
hyhenated       >    4 : ca-pacity
hyhenated       >    1 : capac-ity
hyhenated       >    1 : cat-a-log,
hyhenated       >    2 : cat-alog,
hyhenated       >    1 : cat-e-go-rize,
hyhenated       >    3 : cat-egorize,
hyhenated       >    1 : cata-log,
hyhenated       >    1 : cate-gorize,
hyhenated       >    2 : catego-rize,
hyhenated       >    3 : clas-sify,
hyhenated       >    3 : clus-ter,
hyhenated       >    3 : con-dense,
hyhenated       >    1 : dis-crim-i-nate,
hyhenated       >    1 : dis-crimi-nate,
hyhenated       >    1 : dis-criminate,
hyhenated       >    1 : dis-tin-guish,
hyhenated       >    3 : dis-tinguish,
hyhenated       >    2 : discrim-inate,
hyhenated       >    2 : distin-guish,
hyhenated       >    1 : enu-mer-ate,
hyhenated       >    2 : enu-merate,
hyhenated       >    1 : enumer-ate,
hyhenated       >    5 : every-day
hyhenated       >    3 : fil-ter,
hyhenated       >    2 : fo-cus,
hyhenated       >    1 : har-mo-nize,
hyhenated       >    1 : har-monize,
hyhenated       >    2 : harmo-nize,
hyhenated       >    6 : high-light,
hyhenated       >    1 : ide-al-ize,
hyhenated       >    2 : ide-alize,
hyhenated       >    1 : ideal-ize,
hyhenated       >    1 : in-for-ma-tion
hyhenated       >    1 : in-forma-tionthick
hyhenated       >    1 : in-formationthick
hyhenated       >    3 : in-spect,
hyhenated       >    1 : in-te-grate,
hyhenated       >    2 : in-tegrate,
hyhenated       >    1 : informa-tionthick
hyhenated       >    3 : inte-grate,
hyhenated       >    5 : iso-late,
hyhenated       >    4 : item-ize,
hyhenated       >    3 : mar-velous
hyhenated       >    1 : or-ga-nize,
hyhenated       >    1 : orga-nize,
hyhenated       >    5 : out-line,
hyhenated       >    1 : pi-geon-hole,
hyhenated       >    6 : pigeon-hole,
hyhenated       >    3 : re-duce,
hyhenated       >    4 : re-fine,
hyhenated       >    2 : re-view,
hyhenated       >    4 : se-lect,
hyhenated       >    1 : sep-a-rate
hyhenated       >    1 : sepa-rate
hyhenated       >    3 : sin-gle
hyhenated       >    4 : struc-ture,
hyhenated       >    1 : sum-ma-rize,
hyhenated       >    4 : sum-marize,
hyhenated       >    1 : summa-rize,
hyhenated       >    1 : syn-op-size,
hyhenated       >    2 : syn-opsize,
hyhenated       >    1 : syn-the-size,
hyhenated       >    3 : syn-thesize,
hyhenated       >    1 : synop-size,
hyhenated       >    2 : synthe-size,
hyhenated       >    5 : win-now

hyhenated       > stop hyphenated words

and on the console and log (second tracker) lots of

pages           > flushing realpage 2, userpage 2, subpage 2, total
0.482, page 0.011, average 0.482
open source     > level 2, order 13, name 'tufte.tex'
close source    > level 2, order 13, name 'tufte.tex'
hyhenated       > around line 244 in file hup.tex: every-day
hyhenated       > around line 244 in file hup.tex: cat-egorize,
hyhenated       > around line 244 in file hup.tex: dis-criminate,
hyhenated       > around line 244 in file hup.tex: pigeon-hole,
hyhenated       > around line 244 in file hup.tex: aggre-gate,
hyhenated       > around line 244 in file hup.tex: re-view,
hyhenated       > around line 244 in file hup.tex: enu-merate,
open source     > level 2, order 14, name 'tufte.tex'
close source    > level 2, order 14, name 'tufte.tex'
hyhenated       > around line 244 in file hup.tex: every-day
hyhenated       > around line 244 in file hup.tex: synthe-size,
hyhenated       > around line 244 in file hup.tex: re-duce,
hyhenated       > around line 244 in file hup.tex: catego-rize,
hyhenated       > around line 244 in file hup.tex: inte-grate,
hyhenated       > around line 244 in file hup.tex: ap-proximate,
hyhenated       > around line 244 in file hup.tex: out-line,
hyhenated       > around line 244 in file hup.tex: win-now

if you want more you need to analyze the log file

(you have to wait till i update, which will not happen today)

Hans