* Strange Behaviour / Strange Memory effect when creating pdf charts with the chart module in context
@ 2010-01-20  8:53 moritz braun
From: moritz braun @ 2010-01-20  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Dear All

I am experiencing a strange problem with the chart module using
context on ubuntu.
this module allows for the creating of nice flow charts!
however
when creating the  flow chart from the source code with
texexec --pdf  chart.tex
the resultiong pdf file sometimes shows information that is not in the tex file
but was in a previous version of it, i.e. some kind of a wierd memoery
effect is present
I am wondering, where does context keep its cache.
In order to debug this problem I installed context  on another ubuntu box and
when freshly installed , i.e. for the first call of texexec the result
was fine. however
any subsequent call will again create unpredictable effects.
I have written some  documentation using context and the chart module
and today is may last day in the project and I need to hand this over!

regards

Moritz

--
Prof M Braun		 Tel.:27-12-4298006/8027
Physics Department  Fax.: 27-12-4293643

* Re: Strange Behaviour / Strange Memory effect when creating pdf charts with the chart module in context
@ 2010-01-21  7:13 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2010-01-21  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

moritz braun wrote:
> Dear All
>
> I am experiencing a strange problem with the chart module using
> context on ubuntu.
> this module allows for the creating of nice flow charts!
> however
> when creating the  flow chart from the source code with
> texexec --pdf  chart.tex
> the resultiong pdf file sometimes shows information that is not in the tex file
> but was in a previous version of it, i.e. some kind of a wierd memoery
> effect is present
> I am wondering, where does context keep its cache.
> In order to debug this problem I installed context  on another ubuntu box and
> when freshly installed , i.e. for the first call of texexec the result
> was fine. however
> any subsequent call will again create unpredictable effects.
> I have written some  documentation using context and the chart module
> and today is may last day in the project and I need to hand this over!

Yes, this sometimes happens. Context stores is transitional data
in \jobname.tuo for 'texexec' (\jobname.tuc for 'context') and
if you use the chart module, I know for a fact that at least the .tuo
tends to lag behind a bit.

The solution is to run 'texexec' (or 'context', but I suspect the
problem is with 'texexec' ) once more without doing any edits.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: Strange Behaviour / Strange Memory effect when creating pdf charts with the chart module in context
@ 2010-01-21  7:40   ` moritz braun
From: moritz braun @ 2010-01-21  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi there

this is not really my experience

Even when deleting all the many files that context creates, There is a
strange memory effect!!!

@ 2010-01-21  8:19     ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2010-01-21  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 8:40 AM, moritz braun <moritz.braun@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there
>
> this is not really my experience
>
> Even when deleting all the many files that context creates, There is a
> strange memory effect!!!
Do you have an example ?
I can check it under Ubuntu.
What are you using ?
--
luigi

* Re: Strange Behaviour / Strange Memory effect when creating pdf charts with the chart module in context
@ 2010-01-21 16:34     ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2010-01-21 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010, moritz braun wrote:

> Hi there
>
> this is not really my experience
>
> Even when deleting all the many files that context creates,

Did you also delete all the temporary metapost files? Try with

    ctxtools --purge --all

You can also try to forcably remove all the temp files at the end of the
run by

   texexec --purge filename

> There is a strange memory effect!!!

Does forcing a final run help

    texexec --final filename

Aditya

* Re: Strange Behaviour / Strange Memory effect when creating pdf charts with the chart module in context
@ 2010-01-22  4:48       ` moritz braun
From: moritz braun @ 2010-01-22  4:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Aditya

thanks for you suggestions

I will try them to see whether they solve my problem
regards

Moritz