* List of builtin TeX commands
@ 2006-03-25 10:41 Nikolai Weibull
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Nikolai Weibull @ 2006-03-25 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

Is there a list of builtin TeX commands anywhere on the net?  I need
it for a syntax definition of  the plain TeX format.

With builtin TeX commands I mean stuff like \def, \global, and such.

A list of commands defined in plain.tex would be great as well, but at
least that's easier to compile by myself, as I can just look in the
actual file.

The tex source is a bit harder to overview...

Thanks!

  nikolai

* Re: List of builtin TeX commands
@ 2006-03-25 11:32 ` Karsten Heymann
From: Karsten Heymann @ 2006-03-25 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nikolai Weibull schrieb:
> Is there a list of builtin TeX commands anywhere on the net?

TeXbook, chapters 24-26, should be fairly complete. The source file is
freely availabe (http://ctan.org/tex-archive/systems/knuth/tex/), but
you may not process it with tex.

Yours,
Karsten

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: List of builtin TeX commands
@ 2006-03-25 12:35 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-03-25 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nikolai Weibull wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Is there a list of builtin TeX commands anywhere on the net?  I need
> it for a syntax definition of  the plain TeX format.
>
> With builtin TeX commands I mean stuff like \def, \global, and such.
>
> A list of commands defined in plain.tex would be great as well, but at
> least that's easier to compile by myself, as I can just look in the
> actual file.
>
> The tex source is a bit harder to overview...

if you look into the scit eproperties files that ship with context, you will fond such lists (although the pdftex list is incomplete)

we can always extend ctxtools (which can generate syntax files for some editors) to provide these lists as well

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2006-03-25 13:36 ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2006-03-25 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mar 25, 2006, at 11:41 AM, Nikolai Weibull wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Is there a list of builtin TeX commands anywhere on the net?  I need
> it for a syntax definition of  the plain TeX format.

Does that do what you want: http://www.tug.org/utilities/plain/cseq.html

Best

Thomas

* Re: List of builtin TeX commands
@ 2006-03-25 13:49   ` John R. Culleton
From: John R. Culleton @ 2006-03-25 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Hans Hagen

On Saturday 25 March 2006 07:35, Hans Hagen wrote:
> Nikolai Weibull wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > Is there a list of builtin TeX commands anywhere on the net?  I need
> > it for a syntax definition of  the plain TeX format.
> >
> > With builtin TeX commands I mean stuff like \def, \global, and such.
> >
> > A list of commands defined in plain.tex would be great as well, but at
> > least that's easier to compile by myself, as I can just look in the
> > actual file.
> >
> > The tex source is a bit harder to overview...
>
> if you look into the scit eproperties files that ship with context, you
> will fond such lists (although the pdftex list is incomplete)
>
> we can always extend ctxtools (which can generate syntax files for some
> editors) to provide these lists as well
>
> Hans

I suggest:

_The TeXBook_ (you have the source probably.)
_TeX for the Impatient_ (free on internet.)
_TeX by Topic_ (free on the internet.)

All these books have useful indexes. _TeX for the Impatient_ has
a separate list of commands with page references. _TeX by Topic_
has a glossary of just the primitives.

TeX primitives (as opposed to plain tex additions) are
distinguished in the first two books by asterisks.

The remaining need is the list of pdftex additions, and these are
listed on page 15ff of _the PDFTeX User Manual_.

However having one or more of these books available may obviate the need
to compile your own syntax definition list.

--
John Culleton
Books with answers to marketing and publishing questions:

Book coaches, consultants and packagers:

* Re: List of builtin TeX commands
@ 2006-03-26  7:41   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-03-26  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karsten Heymann wrote:
> Nikolai Weibull schrieb:
>
>> Is there a list of builtin TeX commands anywhere on the net?
>
> TeXbook, chapters 24-26, should be fairly complete. The source file is
> freely availabe (http://ctan.org/tex-archive/systems/knuth/tex/), but
> you may not process it with tex.

All of TeX's primitives can be found by

   grep '^primitive\(' tex.web

similar solutions are there for etex and pdftex, but in
etex a few primitives depend on runtime configuration, so
you have to be careful (\beginL \beginr)

Cheers, taco

* Re: List of builtin TeX commands
@ 2006-03-26 20:25   ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2006-03-26 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2006-03-25 um 14:36 schrieb Thomas A. Schmitz:
> Does that do what you want: http://www.tug.org/utilities/plain/
> cseq.html

Great! Perhaps not what the OP was looking for, but what I wanted for
a long while!

Greetlings from Lake Constance!
Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://contextgarden.net
http://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

* Re: List of builtin TeX commands
@ 2006-03-27  9:20     ` Nikolai Weibull
From: Nikolai Weibull @ 2006-03-27  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 3/25/06, John R. Culleton <john@wexfordpress.com> wrote:
> I suggest:
>
> _The TeXBook_ (you have the source probably.)
> _TeX for the Impatient_ (free on internet.)
> _TeX by Topic_ (free on the internet.)

Thank you!  And thanks to everyone else as well.  Your comments have
been very helpful.  The index for "TeX for the Impatient" worked
really well, and I also liked
http://www.tug.org/utilities/plain/cseq.html as it provided me with a
useful taxonomy.  Still, the collection of links and pointers in this
thread is really quite useful.  Perhaps I (or someone else) should
wikify it?

Again, thank you everyone who took the time to come up with good
answers to my question.

  nikolai