* What would you call the core TeX-commands
@ 2006-04-16 21:31 Nikolai Weibull
From: Nikolai Weibull @ 2006-04-16 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

If you had to name the core TeX-commands something, what would it be?

Suggestions so far:

initex:
  As initex is the command used to create TeX formats and only
contains the core TeX-commands

coretex:
  As they are the core TeX-commands

The reason I ask is because I've written the new
core-TeX-syntax-definition for Vim and I'd like to get the name right.

Thanks.

  nikolai

* Re: What would you call the core TeX-commands
@ 2006-04-17  8:43 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-04-17  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nikolai Weibull wrote:
> If you had to name the core TeX-commands something, what would it be?
>
> Suggestions so far:
>
> initex:
>   As initex is the command used to create TeX formats and only
> contains the core TeX-commands
>
> coretex:
>   As they are the core TeX-commands
>
> The reason I ask is because I've written the new
> core-TeX-syntax-definition for Vim and I'd like to get the name right.

the commands defined in cont-en.xml are core commands; quite some commands in syst-gen, syst-ext, syst-new and supp-box are also 'frozen'

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2006-04-17  9:00   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-04-17  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:
> Nikolai Weibull wrote:
>
>>If you had to name the core TeX-commands something, what would it be?

the normal word is "primitives". If that can't be done, using "initex"
make most sense. We often use the word 'core' to refer to ConTeXts
macro commands (as Hans said already).

Cheers, Taoc

* Re: What would you call the core TeX-commands
@ 2006-04-17 15:28     ` Nikolai Weibull
From: Nikolai Weibull @ 2006-04-17 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 4/17/06, Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> wrote:
> Hans Hagen wrote:
> > Nikolai Weibull wrote:

> > > If you had to name the core TeX-commands something, what would it be?

> the normal word is "primitives". If that can't be done, using "initex"
> make most sense. We often use the word 'core' to refer to ConTeXts
> macro commands (as Hans said already).

What I meant was, the commands defined in the TeX-executable itself,
i.e., stuff like \def, \global, ....

I think that initex makes the most sense considering the options.

@ 2006-04-17 15:38       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-04-17 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nikolai Weibull wrote:
> On 4/17/06, Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> wrote:
>
>> Hans Hagen wrote:

>> the normal word is "primitives". If that can't be done, using "initex"
>> make most sense. We often use the word 'core' to refer to ConTeXts
>> macro commands (as Hans said already).
>>

> What I meant was, the commands defined in the TeX-executable itself,
> i.e., stuff like \def, \global, ....
>
> I think that initex makes the most sense considering the options.

ctxtools can list them (e.g. --sciteinterface gives several classes of primitives, macros, etc)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE