* latest beta and \seeindex
@ 2018-06-23 15:10 Alan Bowen
From: Alan Bowen @ 2018-06-23 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

The latest beta (ConTeXt  ver: 2018.06.23 12:12 MKIV beta  fmt: 2018.6.23)
processes without a hitch but \seeindex is still not working as expected.

In

\starttext
\index{sample}
\index{fun+games}\index{fun+stuff}
%\index{fun}

\seeindex{fun}{sample} % now with heading (as it should be)
\seeindex{fun}{blah} % not shown
\seeindex{fun}{humbug} % not shown
\seeindex{fun}{bug} % not shown

\seeindex{fun+games}{entertainment} % not shown

\placeindex[n=1]
\stoptext

When I generate the indices for my book, \seeindex{A}{B} works only if it
is a unique x-ref and A is a heading. Multiple x-refs to the same heading
fail as do x-refs to subheadings.

Alan

* Re: latest beta and \seeindex
@ 2018-06-24 19:57 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2018-06-24 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 6/23/2018 5:10 PM, Alan Bowen wrote:
> The latest beta (ConTeXtver: 2018.06.23 12:12 MKIV betafmt: 2018.6.23)
> processes without a hitch but \seeindex is still not working as expected.
>
> In
>
> \starttext
> \index{sample}
> \index{fun+games}\index{fun+stuff}
> %\index{fun}
>
> \seeindex{fun}{sample}% now with heading (as it should be)
> \seeindex{fun}{blah}% not shown
> \seeindex{fun}{humbug}% not shown
> \seeindex{fun}{bug}% not shown
>
> \seeindex{fun+games}{entertainment}% not shown
>
> \placeindex[n=1]
> \stoptext
>
> When I generate the indices for my book, \seeindex{A}{B} works only if
> it is a unique x-ref and A is a heading. Multiple x-refs to the same
> heading fail as do x-refs to subheadings.
sure,

\seeindex{fun}{blah}                % not shown
\seeindex{fun}{humbug}              % not shown
\seeindex{fun}{bug}                 % not shown

as there is no index entry blah, humbug or bug ... so you would be
fooling your reader

Hans

* Re: latest beta and \seeindex
@ 2018-06-24 20:07   ` Henning Hraban Ramm
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2018-06-24 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2018-06-24 um 21:57 schrieb Hans Hagen <j.hagen@xs4all.nl>:

> On 6/23/2018 5:10 PM, Alan Bowen wrote:
>> The latest beta (ConTeXtver: 2018.06.23 12:12 MKIV betafmt: 2018.6.23) processes without a hitch but \seeindex is still not working as expected.
>> In
>> \starttext
>> \index{sample}
>> \index{fun+games}\index{fun+stuff}
>> %\index{fun}
>> \seeindex{fun}{sample}% now with heading (as it should be)
>> \seeindex{fun}{blah}% not shown
>> \seeindex{fun}{humbug}% not shown
>> \seeindex{fun}{bug}% not shown
>> \seeindex{fun+games}{entertainment}% not shown
>> \placeindex[n=1]
>> \stoptext
>> When I generate the indices for my book, \seeindex{A}{B} works only if it is a unique x-ref and A is a heading. Multiple x-refs to the same heading fail as do x-refs to subheadings.
> sure,
>
> \seeindex{fun}{blah}                % not shown
> \seeindex{fun}{humbug}              % not shown
> \seeindex{fun}{bug}                 % not shown
>
> as there is no index entry blah, humbug or bug ... so you would be fooling your reader

I understand the rationale, and it could be a nice feature, but we need to refer to entries in a different register, e.g. from an index of topics to an index of persons, e.g. \seeindex{Pragma}{Hagen, Hans} or to subentries like \seeindex{fun+games}{bah+humbug}. Since the latter doesn’t work (or does it now?), we use \seeindex{fun+games}{bah/humbug}.

Greetlings, Hraban
---
https://www.fiee.net
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
https://www.dreiviertelhaus.de
GPG Key ID 1C9B22FD

* Re: latest beta and \seeindex
@ 2018-06-25 11:21     ` Alan Bowen
From: Alan Bowen @ 2018-06-25 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

I should add too that in this particular volume our contributors sometimes
mention different terms for the same thing as in “This is called p or q”.
Indexing both terms (p and q) separately and the adding  x-ref is one way
to go but indexing the more commonly used term and adding a mere x-ref for
the other is more efficient.

Alan

On Sun, Jun 24, 2018 at 4:08 PM Henning Hraban Ramm <texml@fiee.net> wrote:

> Am 2018-06-24 um 21:57 schrieb Hans Hagen <j.hagen@xs4all.nl>:
>
> > On 6/23/2018 5:10 PM, Alan Bowen wrote:
> >> The latest beta (ConTeXtver: 2018.06.23 12:12 MKIV betafmt: 2018.6.23)
> processes without a hitch but \seeindex is still not working as expected.
> >> In
> >> \starttext
> >> \index{sample}
> >> \index{fun+games}\index{fun+stuff}
> >> %\index{fun}
> >> \seeindex{fun}{sample}% now with heading (as it should be)
> >> \seeindex{fun}{blah}% not shown
> >> \seeindex{fun}{humbug}% not shown
> >> \seeindex{fun}{bug}% not shown
> >> \seeindex{fun+games}{entertainment}% not shown
> >> \placeindex[n=1]
> >> \stoptext
> >> When I generate the indices for my book, \seeindex{A}{B} works only if
> it is a unique x-ref and A is a heading. Multiple x-refs to the same
> heading fail as do x-refs to subheadings.
> > sure,
> >
> > \seeindex{fun}{blah}                % not shown
> > \seeindex{fun}{humbug}              % not shown
> > \seeindex{fun}{bug}                 % not shown
> >
> > as there is no index entry blah, humbug or bug ... so you would be
> fooling your reader
>
> I understand the rationale, and it could be a nice feature, but we need to
> refer to entries in a different register, e.g. from an index of topics to
> an index of persons, e.g. \seeindex{Pragma}{Hagen, Hans} or to subentries
> like \seeindex{fun+games}{bah+humbug}. Since the latter doesn’t work (or
> does it now?), we use \seeindex{fun+games}{bah/humbug}.
>

> Greetlings, Hraban
> ---
> https://www.fiee.net
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net
> https://www.dreiviertelhaus.de
> GPG Key ID 1C9B22FD

* Re: latest beta and \seeindex
@ 2018-06-25 12:15     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2018-06-25 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 6/24/2018 10:07 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
> Am 2018-06-24 um 21:57 schrieb Hans Hagen <j.hagen@xs4all.nl>:
>
>> On 6/23/2018 5:10 PM, Alan Bowen wrote:
>>> The latest beta (ConTeXtver: 2018.06.23 12:12 MKIV betafmt: 2018.6.23) processes without a hitch but \seeindex is still not working as expected.
>>> In
>>> \starttext
>>> \index{sample}
>>> \index{fun+games}\index{fun+stuff}
>>> %\index{fun}
>>> \seeindex{fun}{sample}% now with heading (as it should be)
>>> \seeindex{fun}{blah}% not shown
>>> \seeindex{fun}{humbug}% not shown
>>> \seeindex{fun}{bug}% not shown
>>> \seeindex{fun+games}{entertainment}% not shown
>>> \placeindex[n=1]
>>> \stoptext
>>> When I generate the indices for my book, \seeindex{A}{B} works only if it is a unique x-ref and A is a heading. Multiple x-refs to the same heading fail as do x-refs to subheadings.
>> sure,
>>
>> \seeindex{fun}{blah}                % not shown
>> \seeindex{fun}{humbug}              % not shown
>> \seeindex{fun}{bug}                 % not shown
>>
>> as there is no index entry blah, humbug or bug ... so you would be fooling your reader
>
> I understand the rationale, and it could be a nice feature, but we need to refer to entries in a different register, e.g. from an index of topics to an index of persons, e.g. \seeindex{Pragma}{Hagen, Hans} or to subentries like \seeindex{fun+games}{bah+humbug}. Since the latter doesn’t work (or does it now?), we use \seeindex{fun+games}{bah/humbug}.
hm, sounds like a crappy index to mee (i actually hate these indexes
that force you to 'see' somplace else .. extra lookup)

anyway, i'll add check=no to placeregister so that one can bypass the
check (but i cannot foresee side effects like missing references in
interactiev documents so these have to be taken for granted)

Hans

* Re: latest beta and \seeindex
@ 2018-06-25 12:18     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2018-06-25 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 6/24/2018 10:07 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
>>> \starttext
>>> \index{sample}
>>> \index{fun+games}\index{fun+stuff}
>>> %\index{fun}

btw, index entries will only work well with an anchor so loose \index
without something following it will not show the right page numbers (if
at all)

* Re: latest beta and \seeindex
@ 2018-06-25 12:22       ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2018-06-25 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2018-06-25 um 14:15 schrieb Hans Hagen <j.hagen@xs4all.nl>:

> On 6/24/2018 10:07 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
>> Am 2018-06-24 um 21:57 schrieb Hans Hagen <j.hagen@xs4all.nl>:
>>> as there is no index entry blah, humbug or bug ... so you would be fooling your reader
>> I understand the rationale, and it could be a nice feature, but we need to refer to entries in a different register, e.g. from an index of topics to an index of persons, e.g. \seeindex{Pragma}{Hagen, Hans} or to subentries like \seeindex{fun+games}{bah+humbug}. Since the latter doesn’t work (or does it now?), we use \seeindex{fun+games}{bah/humbug}.
> hm, sounds like a crappy index to mee (i actually hate these indexes that force you to 'see' somplace else .. extra lookup)

I hear you, but it wouldn’t make sense to double-index a lot of terms (it might increase usability, but also double the length of the index).

> anyway, i'll add check=no to placeregister so that one can bypass the check (but i cannot foresee side effects like missing references in interactiev documents so these have to be taken for granted)

Thank you, that fits my/our needs, I guess.

Greetlings, Hraban
---

@ 2018-06-25 14:01       ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2018-06-25 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2018-06-25 um 14:18 schrieb Hans Hagen <j.hagen@xs4all.nl>:

> btw, index entries will only work well with an anchor so loose \index without something following it will not show the right page numbers (if at all)

I don’t understand - why should I try a bare \index?

Greetlings, Hraban
---

@ 2018-06-25 14:43       ` Alan Braslau
From: Alan Braslau @ 2018-06-25 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things. It
is enough that these things, though differing in matter, should be
similar in form, to permit their being, so to speak, cast in the same
mold. When the language has been carefully chosen, one is surprised to
discover that all proofs developed for a given object, can be
immediately applied to many new objects; there is nothing to be
changed, not even the words, since all the names have become the same."

(my translation)

;-)

* Re: latest beta and \seeindex
@ 2018-06-25 15:08         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2018-06-25 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 6/25/2018 4:01 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:

>> btw, index entries will only work well with an anchor so loose \index without something following it will not show the right page numbers (if at all)
>
> I don’t understand - why should I try a bare \index?
your example had so i had to add some bogus content (anyway, i now
inject a placeholder as warning anyway)

Hans