* Re: A Spanish introduction to ConTeXt Mark IV
       [not found] <mailman.1.1602669601.31579.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2020-10-14 10:47 ` Niels Meijer
From: Niels Meijer @ 2020-10-14 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 663 bytes --]

Hello Joaquín,

I have been looking to get into ConTeXt for a few months now, LaTeX drove me
completely insane when writing my Master’s thesis. I have been looking for an
up-to-date introduction to ConTeXt as a whole, as I am still unable to get
basic things working in ConTeXt after reading the ‘Excursion’. (I really
tried to the best of my ability!)

I just wanted to voice my support this book, as I feel that such a
newbie-friendly resource would fill a gaping hole in the current ConTeXt
ecosystem. I am considering having a stab at learning Spanish in order to
(attempt to) read your book.

Thanks for sharing,

Niels E. J. Meijer

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: Type: text/html, Size: 4834 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #1.2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: A Spanish introduction to ConTeXt Mark IV
@ 2020-10-14 13:33   ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2020-10-14 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 14.10.2020 um 12:47 schrieb Niels Meijer <niels.meijer@biochemistry.lu.se>:
>
> I just wanted to voice my support this book, as I feel that such a
> newbie-friendly resource would fill a gaping hole in the current ConTeXt
> ecosystem. I am considering having a stab at learning Spanish in order to
> (attempt to) read your book.

Are you more comfortable with German?

While I still don’t know when my ConTeXt book is ready for publishing, I can show you the current state (>280 p.).

Hraban

* Re: A Spanish introduction to ConTeXt Mark IV
@ 2020-10-15  3:43   ` Joaquín Ataz López
From: Joaquín Ataz López @ 2020-10-15  3:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

El 14/10/20 a las 12:47, Niels Meijer escribió:
> Hello Joaquín,
>

> I have been looking to get into ConTeXt for a few months now, LaTeX
> drove me
> completely insane when writing my Master’s thesis. I have been looking
> for an
> up-to-date introduction to ConTeXt as a whole, as I am still unable to get
> basic things working in ConTeXt after reading the ‘Excursion’. (I really
> tried to the best of my ability!)
I also believe that maintaining up-to-date documentation is important.
Although in a system as dynamic as ConTeXt I think it is very difficult
to achieve this; and it is probably more up to us users than to the
developers. That's why my initiative

> I just wanted to voice my support this book, as I feel that such a
> newbie-friendly resource would fill a gaping hole in the current ConTeXt
> ecosystem. I am considering having a stab at learning Spanish in order to
> (attempt to) read your book.
Thank you very much, it is very kind of you.

> Thanks for sharing,
>
> Niels E. J. Meijer

Joaquín Ataz López
Derecho Civil
Universidad de Murcia

* Re: A Spanish introduction to ConTeXt Mark IV
@ 2020-10-15  3:48     ` Joaquín Ataz López
From: Joaquín Ataz López @ 2020-10-15  3:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

El 14/10/20 a las 15:33, Henning Hraban Ramm escribió:
>> Am 14.10.2020 um 12:47 schrieb Niels Meijer <niels.meijer@biochemistry.lu.se>:
>>
>> I just wanted to voice my support this book, as I feel that such a
>> newbie-friendly resource would fill a gaping hole in the current ConTeXt
>> ecosystem. I am considering having a stab at learning Spanish in order to
>> (attempt to) read your book.
> Are you more comfortable with German?
>
> While I still don’t know when my ConTeXt book is ready for publishing, I can show you the current state (>280 p.).
No, I'm very sorry. My level of German only allows me to defend myself a
little in my professional specialty (private law) which has nothing to
do with this subject.

I would love to have access to your book, although I suspect that if it
is in German it will be difficult for me to follow it.

> Hraban

Joaquín Ataz López
Derecho Civil
Universidad de Murcia

* Re: A Spanish introduction to ConTeXt Mark IV
@ 2020-10-16  4:14   ` Joaquín Ataz López
From: Joaquín Ataz López @ 2020-10-16  4:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Thank you very much for your comments. I will take them in consideration
and, along with others that are sent to me, I will prepare a version 1.5
of the guide.

As my introduction, being written in Spanish, excludes many members from
the list, from now on, and in order not to bore too much those who are
not interested in this matter, I will answer the mails related to my
introduction exclusively to the sender, and not to the list, unless I
think the matter is of more general interest.

Thank you all very much for the good reception of my introduction. I
already said that it would certainly have errors, I am a beginner at
ConTeXt.

--
Joaquín Ataz López
Derecho Civil

* Re: A Spanish introduction to ConTeXt Mark IV
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2020-10-15 21:25 ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2020-10-15 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NTG-Context ConTeXt users

Good evening Joaquin,

first of all congratulations for your initiative, this is really an impressive piece of work!

Without wanting to critisize I think, that in general MKIV documents should be made up with \start”elment” … \stop”element”. This will be important for all those, who also need to produce xml.

I encountred two things in your book:

page 96 at the bottom. You write that the “height” is header + headerdistance + textheight + bottomdistance + bottom. This should be footerdistance and footer. — The graphic showing the areas however is correct.

page 139 at the top: \chapter[title=…,reference=..]. This should be \startchapter[title=…,reference=…] … \stopchapter

Again, thank you for all your work! — Sorry “no hablo Espaniol”…

Saludos cordiales

Willi

@ 2020-10-15  8:26         ` BPJ
From: BPJ @ 2020-10-15  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Den ons 14 okt. 2020 06:14Joaquín Ataz López <jal@um.es> skrev:

> Good morning to everyone.
>
> Although I guess it will not be of interest to most of the list members,
> I wanted to communicate that I have written an introduction to ConTeXt
> Mark IV in Spanish, which can be downloaded at
> https://webs.um.es/jal/docs/introCTX.pdf. Its title is "An Introduction
> (not too short) to ConTeXt Mark IV".

Although I make my way through Spanish text with the help of half-forgotten
"high school" Latin and Italian from 35 years ago plus Wiktionary this is
the book I have been needing! Thank you very much!

This could really become the "lshort" of ConTeXt. The "lshort" was
originally written in German but has been translated into multiple
languages through community effort: <
https://ctan.org/tex-archive/info/lshort>. I'm thinking that in this age of
distributed version control it would be feasible to have multiple people
working on each version.
Since I periodically work as a documentation translator I'm immediately
seized by a desire to translate it into English, and why not also Swedish,
my native language? I would need to improve my Spanish considerably though,
and probably also to invent the 28-hour day! So I'm thinking why not create
a GitHub/GitLab repository (or even organization) for this so that anybody
can help translating it into other languages? Those who know Spanish well
could do the initial translation and then those who know English (or any
other language into which some part(s) have been translated) can do the
proof reading (which is where I really can show my muscle since
proofing/editing is what I mostly do for a living! :-) Then when there
exist more versions anyone can make secondary translations between pairs of
languages which they know.

Cheers,

/Benct

* Re: A Spanish introduction to ConTeXt Mark IV
@ 2020-10-15  3:56           ` Joaquín Ataz López
From: Joaquín Ataz López @ 2020-10-15  3:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

El 14/10/20 a las 15:01, Hans Hagen escribió:
> lmtx is mostly mkiv compatible, and beginners won't notice a
> difference i think ... of course new features can show up on lmtx or
> some mechanisms can be made better but again, that is not somethign a
> beginner will run into
>  Hans
Of course. You are right; and in fact in the text of my introduction no
difference is pointed out between lmtx and mkiv. However, as I see from
this list, in the continuous renewals of lmtx arises, from time to time,
some bug (which is also fixed immediately) I thought that in the
appendix concerning the installation, it was preferable to emphasize
more on the installation of "Context-Standalone" than on the lmtx,
although I explain both.

--
Joaquín Ataz López
Derecho Civil

* Re: A Spanish introduction to ConTeXt Mark IV
@ 2020-10-15  3:50   ` Joaquín Ataz López
From: Joaquín Ataz López @ 2020-10-15  3:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Of course, thank you very much. I send you the source files separately,
to your own mail.

--
Joaquín Ataz López
Derecho Civil

* Re: A Spanish introduction to ConTeXt Mark IV
@ 2020-10-15  3:39   ` Joaquín Ataz López
From: Joaquín Ataz López @ 2020-10-15  3:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

El 14/10/20 a las 11:51, Rudolf Bahr escribió:
> On Wed, Oct 14, 2020 at 06:27:30AM +0200, Joaquín Ataz López wrote:
>> Sorry. By mistake I sent the message as a reply to another one, when in fact
>> I was trying to start a new thread with it. I'm sending it again (I think
>> I'll do it right now):

>> Good morning to everyone.
>>
>> Although I guess it will not be of interest to most of the list members, I
>> wanted to communicate that I have written an introduction to ConTeXt Mark IV
>> in Spanish, which can be downloaded at
>> https://webs.um.es/jal/docs/introCTX.pdf. Its title is "An Introduction (not
>> too short) to ConTeXt Mark IV".
>>
>> ConTeXt is a wonderful document composition system, but there is not much
>> literature to help you get into it, hence my initiative. The problem is that
>> I've only been using ConTeXt for a short time and still have many doubts, so
>> it's possible that the introduction may contain errors. As it has been
>> written in Spanish I don't think many of you will be able to read it, but I
>> would appreciate, of course, any suggestions for improvement. The document
>> is, on the other hand, free and anyone who wants to include it in any
>> ConTeXt distribution can, of course, do so. Also, if anyone wants the source
>> files, I have no problem providing them.
>>
>> I have not based my introduction on LMTX because I think that for beginners
>> a more stable system, like LuaTeX, is preferable.
>>
>> Finally, I apologize for my bad English level. I read it reasonably well,
>> but expressing myself in it is much harder for me.
>>
>> --
>> Joaquín Ataz López
>> Derecho Civil
>> Universidad de Murcia
>>
> Holà, Joaquín,
>
> thank you for your nice and well done introduction! It is really more than a
> simple introduction. "Mucho trabajo", is that good Spanish? :-)
Of course yours is "good Spanish". Thank you very much for the compliments.
> Even when one doesn't read Spanish fluently, it is very useful!
>
> Rudolf

Joaquín Ataz López
Derecho Civil
Universidad de Murcia

* Re: A Spanish introduction to ConTeXt Mark IV
@ 2020-10-15  3:37   ` Joaquín Ataz López
From: Joaquín Ataz López @ 2020-10-15  3:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Thank you very much. This is an offer that I accept, although, if it's
not a bother, from next month, because the next two weeks I will be
tremendously busy with my university work, which has nothing to do with
typography or text composition.

El 14/10/20 a las 7:27, Jairo A. del Rio escribió:
> Hi, Joaquín.
>
> I've just found your introduction yesterday and I have to say it is a
> pleasure to read it. I can help you with some areas you haven't
> discussed too much, e.g. Lua interfaces and Metapost (well, I'm not as
> skilled as Aditya or Hans in the latter), as I use it often. I'll send
> you a message later so we can communicate in Spanish :)
> Thank you a lot for you effort. I hope more Spanish users put a bit of
> their expertise on your manual and further documentation for such a
> great software as ConTeXt.
>
> Muchas gracias y saludos cordiales,
> Jairo :D
>
> El mar., 13 de oct. de 2020 11:27 p. m., Joaquín Ataz López <jal@um.es
> <mailto:jal@um.es>> escribió:
>
>     Sorry. By mistake I sent the message as a reply to another one,
>     when in
>     fact I was trying to start a new thread with it. I'm sending it
>     again (I
>     think I'll do it right now):

>     Good morning to everyone.
>
>     Although I guess it will not be of interest to most of the list
>     members,
>     I wanted to communicate that I have written an introduction to
>     ConTeXt
>     Mark IV in Spanish, which can be downloaded at
>     https://webs.um.es/jal/docs/introCTX.pdf. Its title is "An
>     Introduction
>     (not too short) to ConTeXt Mark IV".
>
>     ConTeXt is a wonderful document composition system, but there is not
>     much literature to help you get into it, hence my initiative. The
>     problem is that I've only been using ConTeXt for a short time and
>     still
>     have many doubts, so it's possible that the introduction may contain
>     errors. As it has been written in Spanish I don't think many of
>     you will
>     be able to read it, but I would appreciate, of course, any
>     suggestions
>     for improvement. The document is, on the other hand, free and
>     anyone who
>     wants to include it in any ConTeXt distribution can, of course, do
>     so.
>     Also, if anyone wants the source files, I have no problem
>     providing them.
>
>     I have not based my introduction on LMTX because I think that for
>     beginners a more stable system, like LuaTeX, is preferable.
>
>     Finally, I apologize for my bad English level. I read it reasonably
>     well, but expressing myself in it is much harder for me.
>
>     --
>     Joaquín Ataz López
>     Derecho Civil
>     Universidad de Murcia

Joaquín Ataz López
Derecho Civil
Universidad de Murcia

* Re: A Spanish introduction to ConTeXt Mark IV
       [not found] <mailman.1685.1602689765.1164.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2020-10-14 17:53 ` Niels Meijer
From: Niels Meijer @ 2020-10-14 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi Hraban,

I have an (old) Goethe-Zertifikat B1, which is not great (but better than my Spanish!). if you’re comfortable sharing your manuscript with me, I can definitely try to go through it and give you some feedback if you’d like! I am not sure how useful this would be for you, but I would appreciate it a lot.

I feel I should’ve told this list about my struggles earlier on!

Kind regards,

Niels

[-- Attachment #1.2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: A Spanish introduction to ConTeXt Mark IV
@ 2020-10-14 13:01         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2020-10-14 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2020-10-14  9:51 ` Rudolf Bahr
From: Rudolf Bahr @ 2020-10-14  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2020-10-14  6:23 ` Jan U. Hasecke
From: Jan U. Hasecke @ 2020-10-14  6:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hola Joaquín,

On 14.10.20 06:27, Joaquín Ataz López wrote:
> Its title is "An Introduction (not too short) to ConTeXt Mark IV".

what a great introduction! And just another hint for me to improve my
Spanish. ;-)

Jan Ulrich Hasecke

* Re: A Spanish introduction to ConTeXt Mark IV
@ 2020-10-14  5:27 ` Jairo A. del Rio
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Jairo A. del Rio @ 2020-10-14  5:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

escribió:

> Sorry. By mistake I sent the message as a reply to another one, when in
> fact I was trying to start a new thread with it. I'm sending it again (I
> think I'll do it right now):

> Good morning to everyone.
>
> Although I guess it will not be of interest to most of the list members,
> I wanted to communicate that I have written an introduction to ConTeXt
> Mark IV in Spanish, which can be downloaded at
> https://webs.um.es/jal/docs/introCTX.pdf. Its title is "An Introduction
> (not too short) to ConTeXt Mark IV".
>
> ConTeXt is a wonderful document composition system, but there is not
> much literature to help you get into it, hence my initiative. The
> problem is that I've only been using ConTeXt for a short time and still
> have many doubts, so it's possible that the introduction may contain
> errors. As it has been written in Spanish I don't think many of you will
> be able to read it, but I would appreciate, of course, any suggestions
> for improvement. The document is, on the other hand, free and anyone who
> wants to include it in any ConTeXt distribution can, of course, do so.
> Also, if anyone wants the source files, I have no problem providing them.
>
> I have not based my introduction on LMTX because I think that for
> beginners a more stable system, like LuaTeX, is preferable.
>
> Finally, I apologize for my bad English level. I read it reasonably
> well, but expressing myself in it is much harder for me.
>
> --
> Joaquín Ataz López
> Derecho Civil
> Universidad de Murcia

* A Spanish introduction to ConTeXt Mark IV
@ 2020-10-14  4:27 Joaquín Ataz López
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Joaquín Ataz López @ 2020-10-14  4:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context