* oldstyle numerals in STIX Two Math
@ 2020-10-21 13:59 Alan Bowen
From: Alan Bowen @ 2020-10-21 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am trying to get the STIX Two fonts to display oldstyle numerals.

I have the oldstyle numerals in STIX Two Text, the problem is the math font.

So far, my mwe is:
\definefontfamily[mainface][rm][STIX Two Text][] %onum=yes does not seem to
work
\definefontfamily[mainface][mm][STIX Two Math][]
\definefontfeature[f:oldstyle][onum=yes]

\setupbodyfont[mainface, 18pt]
\addfeature{f:oldstyle}

\starttext
123456789
\blank[big]
$\sqrt{2} + 1234$
\stoptext

Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Alan

* Re: oldstyle numerals in STIX Two Math
@ 2020-10-21 14:30 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2020-10-21 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 21.10.2020 um 15:59 schrieb Alan Bowen <bowenalan03@gmail.com>:
>
> I am trying to get the STIX Two fonts to display oldstyle numerals.
>
> I have the oldstyle numerals in STIX Two Text, the problem is the math font.
>
> So far, my mwe is:
> \definefontfamily[mainface][rm][STIX Two Text][] %onum=yes does not seem to work
> \definefontfamily[mainface][mm][STIX Two Math][]
> \definefontfeature[f:oldstyle][onum=yes]
>
> \setupbodyfont[mainface, 18pt]
> \addfeature{f:oldstyle}
>
> \starttext
> 123456789
> \blank[big]
> $\sqrt{2} + 1234$
> \stoptext
>
> Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.

mtxrun --script fonts --list --info stixtwomath

shows that STIX Two Math doesn’t provide the onum feature.

Hraban

* Re: oldstyle numerals in STIX Two Math
@ 2020-10-21 18:46   ` Alan Bowen
From: Alan Bowen @ 2020-10-21 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks, Hraban.That’s a helpful start

 I guess the challenge now is to get STIX Two Math to use the oldstyle
numerals in STIX Two Text (by adapting code that Wolgang gave me for using
 oldstyle numerals with TexGyre Math). When I ran

mtxrun --script fonts --list --info stixtwotext, I got

mtx-fonts       |   onum     cyrl     dflt

mtx-fonts       |            dflt     dflt

mtx-fonts       |            grek     dflt

mtx-fonts       |            latn     dflt rom trk

Sadly, I have no idea what this means or how it might help in identifying
the Unicode range of the oldstyle numerals in STIX Two Text. And that is
something I need to take advantage of Wolfgang’s code.

Alan

@ 2020-10-21 19:26     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2020-10-21 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alan Bowen schrieb am 21.10.2020 um 20:46:
> Thanks, Hraban.That’s a helpful start
>
>   I guess the challenge now is to get STIX Two Math to use the oldstyle
> numerals in STIX Two Text (by adapting code that Wolgang gave me for
> using  oldstyle numerals with TexGyre Math). When I ran
>
> mtxrun --script fonts --list --info stixtwotext, I got
>
> mtx-fonts       |   onum     cyrl     dflt
>
> mtx-fonts       |            dflt     dflt
>
> mtx-fonts       |            grek     dflt
>
> mtx-fonts       |            latn     dflt rom trk
>

> Sadly, I have no idea what this means or how it might help in
> identifying the Unicode range of the oldstyle numerals in STIX Two Text.
> And that is something I need to take advantage of Wolfgang’s code.

You replace the normal digits but apply the oldstyle feature.

\definefontfamily
   [alan] [rm] [STIX Two Text]
   [features={default,f:oldstyle}]

\definefallbackfamily
   [alan] [mm] [STIX Two Text]
   [range=digitsnormal,force=yes,features=f:oldstyle]

\definefontfamily
   [alan] [mm] [STIX Two Math]

\setupbodyfont [alan]

\starttext