* Source very outdated
@ 2016-08-02 11:49 Henri Menke
From: Henri Menke @ 2016-08-02 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Dear list,

I'm quite new to ConTeXt and have worked my way through a lot of documentation.  The Garden is an invaluable source as well as this mailing list.  Sometimes it occurs that a feature which is announced on the mailing list is neither documented in the Garden nor in some PDF.  Then I proceed to browse the source where I found four resources:

(1) local (for TeXlive in /usr/local/texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/context)
(2) http://source.contextgarden.net/
(3) http://repo.or.cz/w/context.git
(4) https://bitbucket.org/phg/context-mirror

The first three are outdated and the last doesn't offer full text search.  I could update the first source, but I don't want to break my existing setup and often I just look at the source to find out how things are implemented or to checkout whether a new feature is worth updating.  It would be great if the online sources (2) and (3) could be updated.

Another option would be to move the (4) from bitbucket to github, because github offers full text search in a repository (among other features, like continuous integration or gitter.im chatroom which are all free for an open-source project, see [1] for details).

I'd love to hear what the elders of ConTeXt think about this.

Cheers, Henri

[1] https://github.com/integrations

* Re: Source very outdated
@ 2016-08-02 13:32 ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2016-08-02 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 08/02/2016 01:49 PM, Henri Menke wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I'm quite new to ConTeXt and have worked my way through a lot of
> documentation. The Garden is an invaluable source as well as this
> mailing list. Sometimes it occurs that a feature which is announced on
> the mailing list is neither documented in the Garden nor in some PDF.
> Then I proceed to browse the source where I found four resources:
>
> (1) local (for TeXlive in /usr/local/texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/context)
> (2) http://source.contextgarden.net/
> (3) http://repo.or.cz/w/context.git
> (4) https://bitbucket.org/phg/context-mirror
>
> The first three are outdated and the last doesn't offer full text
> search. I could update the first source, but I don't want to break my
> existing setup and often I just look at the source to find out how
> things are implemented or to checkout whether a new feature is worth
> updating. It would be great if the online sources (2) and (3) could be
> updated.

Hi Henri,

why don’t you install ConTeXt Standalone? It is portable, so you may
install it in the same machine with TeX Live 2016.

(This is also why I asked you to test the Linux 32bit ConTeXt Standalone
with hyphenation.)

Create a new directory in in your /home/ directory and there you can
download and update the latest beta.

This won’t break your existing TL 2016 installation. And so you can have
the latest source and you may even use it.

I use the following commands:

cd /home/user/context-beta-directory/
rsync -ptv rsync://contextgarden.net/minimals/setup/first-setup.sh .
./first-setup.sh --modules=all
cd && source /home/user/context-beta-directory/
mtxrunjit --generate

And you may start using it invoking:

source /home/user/context-beta-directory/tex/setuptex

(Sorry, if this was obvious to you. In that case, it hasn’t been obvious
to me that you knew it.)

Just in case it helps,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: Source very outdated
@ 2016-08-02 15:12 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2016-08-02 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 2 Aug 2016, Henri Menke wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> I'm quite new to ConTeXt and have worked my way through a lot of documentation.  The Garden is an invaluable source as well as this mailing list.  Sometimes it occurs that a feature which is announced on the mailing list is neither documented in the Garden nor in some PDF.  Then I proceed to browse the source where I found four resources:
>
> (1) local (for TeXlive in /usr/local/texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/context)
> (2) http://source.contextgarden.net/
> (3) http://repo.or.cz/w/context.git
> (4) https://bitbucket.org/phg/context-mirror
>
> The first three are outdated and the last doesn't offer full text search.  I could update the first source, but I don't want to break my existing setup and often I just look at the source to find out how things are implemented or to checkout whether a new feature is worth updating.  It would be great if the online sources (2) and (3) could be updated.
>
> Another option would be to move the (4) from bitbucket to github,
> because github offers full text search in a repository (among other
> features, like continuous integration or gitter.im chatroom which are
> all free for an open-source project, see [1] for details).

FWIW, I did a quick clone of the bitbucket repo to github:

   https://github.com/contextgarden/context-mirror

We can either ask Philipp Gesang (who maintains the bitbucket repo) to
also push to github or I can set up a cron job to periodically mirror the
repo.

Aditya

* Re: Source very outdated
@ 2016-08-26  7:36   ` Henri Menke
From: Henri Menke @ 2016-08-26  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear maintainers,

could someone please add Aditya's github mirror at

  https://github.com/contextgarden/context-mirror

to the Wiki frontpage?  Currently there is only the bitbucket mirror listed.

Thanks, Henri