* ConTeXt, XML en-dash
@ 2005-11-29  2:04 Johannes Graumann
From: Johannes Graumann @ 2005-11-29  2:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I just started to experiment with typesetting XML using ConTeXt ...
I ran into this problem which I'm unable to solve:
1) I added the following rule to my xml map file:
        \defineXMLentity        [en]            --
2) yet calling &en; in my document results in the TeX equivalent of "-"
rather than "--" being typeset.

Any pointers?

Thanks for your help,

Joh

| Johannes Graumann, Dipl. Biol.                                       |
|      Graduate Student                Tel.: ++1 (626) 395 6602        |
|      Deshaies Lab                    Fax.: ++1 (626) 395 5739        |
|      Department of Biology                                           |
|      CALTECH, M/C 156-29                                             |
|      1200 E. California Blvd.                                        |
|      Pasadena, CA 91125                                              |
|      USA                                                             |

* Re: ConTeXt, XML en-dash
@ 2005-11-29  7:08 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-11-29  7:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Johannes Graumann wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just started to experiment with typesetting XML using ConTeXt ...
> I ran into this problem which I'm unable to solve:
> 1) I added the following rule to my xml map file:
>         \defineXMLentity        [en]            --

That should have been:

   \defineXMLentity        [en]            {--}

Cheers, Taco

* Re: ConTeXt, XML en-dash
@ 2005-11-29  9:15 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-11-29  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Johannes Graumann wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I just started to experiment with typesetting XML using ConTeXt ...
>I ran into this problem which I'm unable to solve:
>1) I added the following rule to my xml map file:
>        \defineXMLentity        [en]            --
>2) yet calling &en; in my document results in the TeX equivalent of "-"
>rather than "--" being typeset.
>
>Any pointers?

add this to type-exa.tex (or to your doc file)

\starttypescript [serif,sans,mono] [handling] [noligs]

  \setupfontsynonym [\typescriptprefix\typescriptone ]
[handling=\typescriptthree]
  \setupfontsynonym [\typescriptprefix\typescriptone Bold]
[handling=\typescriptthree]
  \setupfontsynonym [\typescriptprefix\typescriptone Slanted]
[handling=\typescriptthree]
  \setupfontsynonym [\typescriptprefix\typescriptone Italic]
[handling=\typescriptthree]
  \setupfontsynonym [\typescriptprefix\typescriptone BoldSlanted]
[handling=\typescriptthree]
  \setupfontsynonym [\typescriptprefix\typescriptone BoldItalic]
[handling=\typescriptthree]

\stoptypescript

explanation for David Arnold (who is eager to know the obscure
typescript features -): the macro \typescriptprefix{serif} will expand
to Serif, because in type-def we have the definition:

\definetypescriptprefix [serif] [Serif]
\definetypescriptprefix [sans]  [Sans]
\definetypescriptprefix [mono]  [Mono]

so, instead of defining 3 times n_of_encodings we can stick to one
typescriptdefinition which is much more efficient.

ok, after this is done, you need to define a typeface using this
handling; because of the nature of the underlying tex font mechanism
(global optimizations in tex itself) we need to do it this way:

\usetypescript[serif][handling][noligs]

\definetypeface[mine][rm][serif][latin-modern][default][encoding=texnansi]
\definetypeface[mine][rm][serif][latin-modern][default][encoding=texnansi]

\setupbodyfont[mine,10pt]

\starttext

asjemenou-het--lijkt---te----werken

\stoptext

The noligs handling is selective (only ? ! - -- --- are taken care of,
so you keep the fi ligatures)

Hans

* Re: ConTeXt, XML en-dash
@ 2005-11-29 19:46   ` Johannes Graumann
From: Johannes Graumann @ 2005-11-29 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks!

Fixed now!

Did Hans really mean to write the novel in this thread as a response to my
problem?

Joh

@ 2005-11-29 19:59   ` Johannes Graumann
From: Johannes Graumann @ 2005-11-29 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gee ... Tacos fix (see thread) worked just fine ... when would I need this?

Joh

* Re: Re: ConTeXt, XML en-dash
@ 2005-11-29 21:14     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-11-29 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Johannes Graumann wrote:

>Gee ... Tacos fix (see thread) worked just fine ... when would I need this?

taco's fix deals with entities; the other method is meant for direct
input (say three -'s in the input stream)

Hans

* Re: Re: ConTeXt, XML en-dash
@ 2005-11-29 22:37       ` Johannes Graumann
From: Johannes Graumann @ 2005-11-29 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:

>>Gee ... Tacos fix (see thread) worked just fine ... when would I need
>>this?
>>
> taco's fix deals with entities; the other method is meant for direct
> input (say three -'s in the input stream)

I see. I was hoping to find some way of mapping my (custom) XML eventually
somehow into ooffice as well (any pointers on how one might create a style
sheet for that are HIGHLY appreciated) and think the entity method is
therefore more future proof for me.

Joh

| Johannes Graumann, Dipl. Biol.                                       |
|      Graduate Student                Tel.: ++1 (626) 395 6602        |
|      Deshaies Lab                    Fax.: ++1 (626) 395 5739        |
|      Department of Biology                                           |
|      CALTECH, M/C 156-29                                             |
|      1200 E. California Blvd.                                        |
|      Pasadena, CA 91125                                              |
|      USA                                                             |

* Re: Re: Re: ConTeXt, XML en-dash
@ 2005-11-30  8:16         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-11-30  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Johannes Graumann wrote:

>Hans Hagen wrote:
>

>>>Gee ... Tacos fix (see thread) worked just fine ... when would I need
>>>this?
>>>

>>taco's fix deals with entities; the other method is meant for direct
>>input (say three -'s in the input stream)
>>

>I see. I was hoping to find some way of mapping my (custom) XML eventually
>somehow into ooffice as well (any pointers on how one might create a style
>sheet for that are HIGHLY appreciated) and think the entity method is
>therefore more future proof for me.

definitely, but when you deal with third part (utf-8 encoded) xml, you
can expect anything (a dozen of different dashes to start with -)

Hans