* reduced space below chapter title
@ 2020-06-02  9:41 jbf
From: jbf @ 2020-06-02  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi list,

I am attempting to achieve, for every second chapter, to have only one
line of space between the chapter title and the text that follows.

I looked at the following example in the wiki:

\setuppapersize[A6][A6]
\setupbodyfont[8pt]
\def\MyChapterCommand#1#2%
   {\vbox  to 4cm\bgroup
      {#1\hskip.75em #2}
      \vss
      \egroup}
\setuphead[chapter][header=nomarking, command=\MyChapterCommand]
\starttext
\chapter{test}  \input  tufte
\stoptext

and presumed that I could adjust that to something like 1cm instead of 4cm.

The problem is that when I try to process the original example, I get a
fatal error at the line which reads \chapter{test} \input tufte.

I'm not sure why that error, but that aside, would the
\def\MyChapterCommand approach suggested above be the right way to
achieve my purpose? In other words, I want the text that follows the
chapter title to follow immediately for specific chapters, rather than
the considerable vertical space that follows the default setup for
chapter titles.

Julian

* Re: reduced space below chapter title
@ 2020-06-02 14:58 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2020-06-02 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

jbf schrieb am 02.06.2020 um 11:41:
> Hi list,
>
> I am attempting to achieve, for every second chapter, to have only one
> line of space between the chapter title and the text that follows.
>
> I looked at the following example in the wiki:
>
> \setuppapersize[A6][A6]
> \setupbodyfont[8pt]
> \def\MyChapterCommand#1#2%
>    {\vbox  to 4cm\bgroup
>       {#1\hskip.75em #2}
>       \vss
>       \egroup}
> \setuphead[chapter][header=nomarking, command=\MyChapterCommand]
> \starttext
> \chapter{test}  \input  tufte
> \stoptext
>
> and presumed that I could adjust that to something like 1cm instead of 4cm.
>
> The problem is that when I try to process the original example, I get a
> fatal error at the line which reads \chapter{test} \input tufte.
>
> I'm not sure why that error, but that aside, would the
> \def\MyChapterCommand approach suggested above be the right way to
> achieve my purpose? In other words, I want the text that follows the
> chapter title to follow immediately for specific chapters, rather than
> the considerable vertical space that follows the default setup for
> chapter titles.
>
> Julian

Change

     \def\MyChapterCommand#1#2%

     \unexpanded\def\MyChapterCommand#1#2%

or

     \define[2]\MyChapterCommand

Wolfgang

* Re: reduced space below chapter title
@ 2020-06-02 23:21   ` jbf
From: jbf @ 2020-06-02 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Wolfgang. Clearly that fixes the problem. I also came up with
another solution which avoids the need to define a MyChapterCommand, by
first setting up the normal chapter as:

\setuphead
   [chapter]
[header=empty,alternative=middle,style=bold,numbercommand=\groupedcommand{}{\blank[2cm]},after={\blank[3cm]}]

and then setting up a mychapter as:

\definehead[mychapter][chapter]

\setuphead[mychapter][header=empty,alternative=middle,style=bold,numbercommand=\groupedcommand{}{\blank[2cm]},after={\blank[.5cm]}]

That gives me the result I am after as well as maintaining the style of
the standard chapter head.

Julian

@ 2020-06-03  4:23     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2020-06-03  4:23 UTC (permalink / raw)