* How to install CONTEXT and PDF-tex (while having 4TEX under DOS)
@ 1998-06-17 13:32 Frans Goddijn
From: Frans Goddijn @ 1998-06-17 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Subscribers to the TEX-NL and/or 4TEX mailing lists might get this message
more than once. If it's a nuisance, sorry!

By Frans Goddijn, fg@fgbbs.iaf.nl

     This is a small report on what I have done to set up a
     compact but powerful combination of CONTEXT and PDFTEX
     on my system.

     They enable me to get the remarkable results that
     several CONTEXT articles and lectures have shown me and
     which have tickled my appetite for CONTEXT, and they
     enable me to produce high quality PDF output In this
     report I explain where I got the necessary files, where
     I put them on my system, and what I did to get it
     running.

     I am aware that preferably this task were done by an
     expert, so as to get it all fool proof, eloquent and
     smart looking. I merely did my best to make sure that
     the help I sought and received from Hans Hagen could be
     used for the benefit of others as well...

     Good luck and enjoy where you can!

     Frans

I have posted the necessary files on FGBBS, also a zipped file of the
complete setup in my directories F:\CONT-PDF and F:\CONTEXT
This is just over 2 MB.
For those of you without FGBBS access, the Internet is the next best
thing ;=}

I got the files PDFTEX.ZIP and PDFTEXLIB-0.12.ZIP from:

ftp://ftp.cstug.cz/pub/tex/local/cstug/thanh/pdftex-testing/pdftex-0.12n/

pdftex.zip          executables
pdftexlib-0.12.zip  platform-independant files
                    (I renamed this file pdftex-l.zip)

I created a directory CONT-PDF on my F: drive and installed the
following files there, mostly taken from the abovementioned 2 downloaded
files:

cont-nl.fmt   2487620  15-06-98  13:05 CONTEXT format file, see below
pdftex.cfg        119  15-06-98  14:18 only a few lines, see below
pdftex.exe     601600  30-05-98  20:32 executable from pdftex.zip
pdftex.poo      30387  30-05-98  20:23 came with pdftex.zip
pdftex.rea       5609  15-06-98  13:38 readme file from pdftex.zip
texmf.cnf       16002  15-06-98  14:16 configfile, see below
ttf2afm.exe     76800  30-05-98  20:32 executable from pdftex.zip

The file pdftex.cfg contains these lines (without the "===")
=================
output_format 0
compress_level 9
decimal_digits 3
page_width 210mm
page_height 297mm
horigin 1in
map pdftex.map
=================

In a second directory, CONTEXT, I put and unzipped the following files:
CONT-TEX.ZIP
ALLES.ZIP

(exactly by this name available on FGBBS,
  else via http://www.ntg.nl/context/

Then I made sure that these new directories were in my PATH command, for
example:

PATH=...f:\cont-pdf\;f:\context;

(the "..." stands for all other stuff on this line in my PC)

Also, in my autoexec.bat I put the following line:

SET TEXMFCNF=F:/CONT-PDF/
(well actually under my 4DOS I did this differently...)
The use of this line is that PDFTEX will know where to find
the file TEXMF.CNF

This TEXMF.CNF needs editing. See far below for my version of it.

Mostly it's commented-out text explaining about spiffy options, and at
the low end there are a number of relevant lines which need to be
congruent with the paths on your system. For instance, the TEXMF.CNF has
lines that must point to the correct CONT-PDF directory which you've
just created and also it must point to the well-known directories for
TeX applications, like TFM's, Postscript fonts etcetera. What I did was
use the information of my working 4TEX setup to point towards the
several directories. If in severe doubt, let a line point to your drive
with TeX stuff with all subsequent directories on it, like "F://" which
makes the system work while making it hooribly slow.

Now, on a DOS prompt, with the PATH command and SET variable checked, I
went to the CONT-PDF directory and gave the following command:

pdftex --ini cont-nl

which started off PDFTEX.EXE initiating and creating a CONT-NL.FMT
tex format file in the same directory. All CONTEXT sources were used
from the CONTEXT directory.

Then, with a test.tex file containing for simplicity only these lines
(leave out the "***"-lines):
***************************************
\gebruikspecials[tpd]
\starttekst
Now will this work or won't it operate?
\stoptekst
***************************************

you can, in the CONT-PDF directory, type:

pdftex &cont-nl test.tex

which yields a PDF file of the given test. Without the line saying
"\gebruikspecials[tpd]" you get a well known DVI file.

I use the DVI viewer from 4TEX to view the DVI file and I use the
freeware ACROBAT viewer to view and print the PDF output

Note: the file "pdftexlib-0.12.zip" unzipped with a few files longer
than 8 & 3 characters and I copied these long filenames to shorter ones,
keeping the originals in place. I also tweaked the ensuing directory
structure, taking out two empty subdirs leading to the filled ones.

Finally, for your interest, in my TEXMF.CNF I have the following lines:

% my copy of texmf.cnf
% I saved the original as texmf.ori

% Enable system commands via \write18{...}?
shell_escape = 1

% advised to me by Hans Hagen:
openout_any = r

% Paths

# these kept simple, could maybe me more specific:
TEXMF          = f:/cont-pdf/
TEXMFMAIN      = f:/cont-pdf/
TEXPOOL.PDFTEX = f:/cont-pdf/
TEXPOOL        = f:/cont-pdf/
TEXFORMATS     = f:/cont-pdf/

TEXINPUTS      = .;f:/4texv4/emtex/context/;c:/ourfiles/texinput//

# NB: all FORWARD slashes and "//" ipv 4TEX's "!" voor search
VFFONTS        = f:/mytex/vf/;f:/4texv4/texfiles/VF//
TFMFONTS       = f:/4texv4/emtex/tfm//;=f:/mytex/tfm//

TEXFONTMAPS    =
.;f:/cont-pdf//;f:/mytex/psfonts;f:/4texv4/emtex/ps/FONTS//

# T1 fonts, like .afm en .pfb
T1FONTS        = .;f:/cont-pdf//;f:/mytex/psfonts//;

# location of pdftex.cfg,  *.map, *.enc en "PNG images"
TEXPSHEADERS   = .;f:/cont-pdf//;f:/mytex/psfonts//;

AFMFONTS       = .;f:/cont-pdf//;f:/mytex/psfonts//;

MPPOOL         = f:/cont-pdf//
MPMEMS         = f:/cont-pdf//

# to look at later...
MPINPUTS       = .;t:/pragma/metapost//
MFINPUTS.mpost = .;t:/pragma/metapost//

WEB2CDIR    = f:/cont-pdf//
TEXMFCNF    = f:/cont-pdf//

% TEX settings, maximize for your memory size

main_memory      = 1000000  % 2500000
extra_mem_top    =       0  %  100000
extra_mem_bot    =       0  %  100000
font_mem_size    =  100000  %  500000
font_max         =     500  %     750
hash_extra       =   25000

pool_size        =  400000
string_vacancies =   25000
max_strings      =   50000
pool_free        =  225000

trie_size        =   64000
hyph_size        =    1000
buf_size         =    5000
nest_size        =     750
max_in_open      =      15
param_size       =    1500
save_size        =    8000
stack_size       =    1500

dvi_buf_size     =   16384

error_line       =      79
half_error_line  =      50

With thanks to Hans Hagen for his real-time help on the 'phone!

Met hartelijke groet!

 Frans Goddijn   | bbs: +31 (0)26 3217041
 Postbus 30196   | email: fg@fgbbs.iaf.nl
 6803 AD Arnhem  | tel: +31 (0)26 3219342
 The Netherlands | http://www.iaf.nl/Users/Meridian
___ timEd/2 1.10+
 - Origin: FGBBS at +31 26 3217041 (314:85/0)

--
You are what you is

only message in thread, other threads:[~1998-06-17 13:32 UTC | newest]