From: Rik Kabel <context@rik.users.panix.com>
To: ntg-context@ntg.nl
Subject: Re: Bibliography in MKIV, custom rendering
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2017 11:28:43 -0400	[thread overview]

On 2017-08-12 04:54, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 8/11/2017 8:58 PM, Rik Kabel wrote:
>> On 2017-08-11 10:01, Alan Braslau wrote:
>>>

>>> 2) Apple Inc. is not a name so you should not be using author:
>>> organization is more appropriate.
>>>
>> I do not think that this should be the case.
>>
>> APA and Chicago/Turbanian (and doubtless others) accept association
>> names as author names, and provide rules for handling them.
>
> and as a consequence i bet this is why journals get typeset partly by
> hand (tweak and cheat on these things) ... and why each publisher then
> has its own style (with cheats and tricks)
>
>> The lack of either an author or an editor is currently flagged in
>> ConTeXt as an error for books and perhaps other bibtex entry types as
>> well. Or do you mean to apply this recommendation to only the
>> electronic type or some other limited subset of types?
>>
>> Perhaps it is better to use the association name as an author and
>> protect it with a layer of curlies or quotation marks, as {{Apple,
>> Inc.}}, "{Apple, Inc.}", or '{Apple, Inc.}', any one of which will do
>
> one can do that of course (an dit will work) but then someone will
> come along and say that ...
>
> our recomendation is that one spends some time on a proper database as
> it pays off
>
>> the job and also serve to prevent what would surely be unwanted
>> abbreviation for styles that abbreviate what are parsed as given names.
> we really try to get away from fuzzyness ... in fact, the bib format
> or at least the way it's often used is a structural coding nightmare
> (and often tex commands are then used to bypass things) .. i think
> that it never went through a proper 'design, test, review, revise' cycle
>
> reverse engineering what is there + side effects took us quite a while
> and esp the author bit is a pain (this parsing) ... there have been
> proposals for alternatives in the past decades (take mlbibtex) but so
> far we're stuck with historic stuff: making a database in a format
> that is not that suitable (no nesting) using practices that are
> counter intuitive and demand lots of obscure magic
>
> (one day Alan will wrap this up in an article)
>
> Hans

Alan has stated elsewhere that his intent is to provide first an
APA-compliant subsystem, and to add after that support for other
regimes. He has also expressed an understandable reluctance to add
non-standard fields to bibtex. But it is clearly impossible to provide
an APA-compliant system under such a constraint—for example, for some
works APA requires an original publication date and bibtex does not
support that. It is similarly difficult to see how one can comply with
other requirements of APA, such as square brackets around estimated
dates for archival sources (how do you identify an estimated date?),
constructing shortened titles that are then alphabetized by the first
non-significant word, spelling out author names where two or more
authors share the same abbreviated names, and so on. Biblatex attempts
to address some of these issues with an explosion of new fields, and
still, I think, does not succeed. CSL may do a better job on some of
these, but again, I do not think that the type of organic standards set
forth by APA and others are fully amenable to any automated parsing.
This is why I suggested to Alan (off-line) that we need a mechanism to
override the generated citation and bibliography/reference list entries
with customized versions (\citeas, or additional fields for \cite).

Clearly bibtex is not compatible with the requirements of current
documentation standards. Those who require compliant citation to
whatever standard with which they are burdened need a better database,
support for conversion from bibtex, and a mechanism to override whatever
automated result is produced. Of these, the last is most crucial.

As to the specific issue of association names as author names: Why is
widening the definition of the author name field using an
already-supported protection mechanism worse than overloading the use of
the organization field, which is intended denote an affiliation and is
not currently supported in the major entry categories?

--
Rik