* E-books and XML.
@ 2014-08-26 15:07 john Culleton
From: john Culleton @ 2014-08-26 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Context is moving toward accepting XML input,
although the filtering process is necessarily
complex. But what is also needed is a version
of Context that produces well formed XML as an
output. That would be a step toward producing a
dual purpose document with Context, for print
and for e-book use.

Context users have invested time, often years, in
learning how to write Context code. Writing XML is
a whole other skillset, comparable to writing xhtml.

So is writing a Context to XML converter a
possibility? A probability? The commercial
program InDesign already has such a capability.

--
John Culleton
Wexford Press

* Re: E-books and XML.
@ 2014-08-26 15:10 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2014-08-26 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 26.08.2014 um 17:07 schrieb john Culleton <John@wexfordpress.com>:

> Context is moving toward accepting XML input,
> although the filtering process is necessarily
> complex. But what is also needed is a version
> of Context that produces well formed XML as an
> output. That would be a step toward producing a
> dual purpose document with Context, for print
> and for e-book use.
>
> Context users have invested time, often years, in
> learning how to write Context code. Writing XML is
> a whole other skillset, comparable to writing xhtml.
>
> So is writing a Context to XML converter a
> possibility? A probability? The commercial
> program InDesign already has such a capability.

http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Epub

Wolfgang

* Re: E-books and XML.
@ 2014-08-26 17:08   ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2014-08-26 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2014-08-26 um 21:10 schrieb Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@gmail.com>:

> Am 26.08.2014 um 17:07 schrieb john Culleton <John@wexfordpress.com>:
>
>> Context is moving toward accepting XML input,
>> although the filtering process is necessarily
>> complex. But what is also needed is a version
>> of Context that produces well formed XML as an
>> output. That would be a step toward producing a
>> dual purpose document with Context, for print
>> and for e-book use.
>>
>> Context users have invested time, often years, in
>> learning how to write Context code. Writing XML is
>> a whole other skillset, comparable to writing xhtml.
>>
>> So is writing a Context to XML converter a
>> possibility? A probability? The commercial
>> program InDesign already has such a capability.
>

> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Epub

Creating ePub from ConTeXt is still tedious - you need to tag everything (even paragraphs) with \start/\stop, the resulting export.xml is still missing a root node if you use project structure (components), and you need to tinker a lot with the results, since even available information like title is not written to the relevant ePub files.

I’m at the moment working at ePub versions of my somgbooklets (using LilyPond) and have a bunch of XSL transformations plus shell script (Lua would have more style, I know) to automate as much as possible.
That stuff is in a state of „works for me“, will try to flesh out the wiki page as soon as I’m content.

Greetlings, Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
https://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

* Re: E-books and XML.
@ 2014-08-26 17:29     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2014-08-26 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 8/26/2014 7:08 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:

> Creating ePub from ConTeXt is still tedious - you need to tag everything (even paragraphs) with \start/\stop, the resulting export.xml is still missing a root node if you use project structure (components), and you need to tinker a lot with the results, since even available information like title is not written to the relevant ePub files.

rootnode .. in what sense?

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: E-books and XML.
@ 2014-08-26 18:04 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2014-08-26 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 8/26/2014 5:07 PM, john Culleton wrote:
> Context is moving toward accepting XML input,
> although the filtering process is necessarily
> complex. But what is also needed is a version
> of Context that produces well formed XML as an
> output. That would be a step toward producing a
> dual purpose document with Context, for print
> and for e-book use.

What do you mean with 'accepting' xml input? It accepts xml input
already for many years. And in mkiv filtering is part of the game too.

> Context users have invested time, often years, in
> learning how to write Context code. Writing XML is
> a whole other skillset, comparable to writing xhtml.

It's not so different if you're accustomed to structure.

> So is writing a Context to XML converter a
> possibility? A probability? The commercial
> program InDesign already has such a capability.

There are export possibilities (and there will be a bit more). This is a
topic at the upcoming ctx meeting (where we set priorities).

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: E-books and XML.
@ 2014-08-26 18:12   ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2014-08-26 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 26 Aug 2014, at 20:04, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

>> Context users have invested time, often years, in
>> learning how to write Context code. Writing XML is
>> a whole other skillset, comparable to writing xhtml.
>
> It's not so different if you're accustomed to structure.

To chime in: xml input facilitates the separation of content and display. There are many tools which will validate xml as you type. Your context skills will not be lost - if you have invested years in learning to code, you will still be able to do this in your environment files. John's argument does not make sense to me.  If someone new to context asked me, I think I would advise her or him to use xml input which is more versatile and easier to proofread for a beginner. And if one day in 20 years she decides she wants to use another tool for her files, it’s much easier to convert xml.

Thomas

* Re: E-books and XML.
@ 2014-08-27  7:02       ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2014-08-27  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2014-08-26 um 23:29 schrieb Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>:

> On 8/26/2014 7:08 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
>
>> Creating ePub from ConTeXt is still tedious - you need to tag everything (even paragraphs) with \start/\stop, the resulting export.xml is still missing a root node if you use project structure (components), and you need to tinker a lot with the results, since even available information like title is not written to the relevant ePub files.
>
> rootnode .. in what sense?

Sorry Hans, I complained about that several times already:

If I have a project structure, i.e. a product with components, export.xml starts like

“““
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>

<!-- input filename   : prd_hraban        -->
<!-- processing date  : Tue Aug 26 12:55:41 2014 -->
<!-- context version  : 2014.08.19 11:57  -->
<!-- exporter version : 0.31              -->

<division detail="frontpart">
 <metadata>
“““

And since there are several <division>s or other top nodes, Saxon rejects the file because it’s missing a root node.
<metadata> is always put into the first node of the file (that should be the root node).

Only with a single TeX file, I get something like

“““
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8' standalone='yes' ?>

<!-- input filename   : solo              -->
<!-- processing date  : Wed Mar 12 11:06:58 2014 -->
<!-- context version  : 2014.03.07 11:42  -->
<!-- exporter version : 0.30              -->

 <document language="en" file="solo" date="Wed Mar 12 11:06:58 2014" context="2014.03.07 11:42" version="0.30" xmlns:m="http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML">
 <metadata>
“““

I.e. the root node <document> is missing.

If you were to enhance ePub facilities (how much must I pay you?), it would be nice to see the data that you put in „metavariables“ (title, author) also in the generated OPF, NCX and cover files, and the main language in OPF.
My script also creates a cover image from the first page of the content PDF as well as converts and copies all the included images, but your usual reasoning that everyone has other needs is of course true.

I resolved to generate content, cover, NCX and OPF from export.xml via XSLT, i.e. throw away most of what the epub script does.
But the structure of registers (that I abuse for a sorted ToC) is hard to parse, because there’s no structure that links register text and page number, e.g.:

   <register detail="index">
    <registersection><!-- probably „A“ -->
     <registerentries>
      <registerentry>A Elbereth Gilthoniel</registerentry>
      <registerpages>        <break/>
<registerpage><link destination="internal(105)" location="aut:105">47</link></registerpage></registerpages>
      <registerentry>Abitur</registerentry>
      <registerpages>        <break/>
<registerpage><link destination="internal(87)" location="aut:87">38</link></registerpage></registerpages>
      <registerentry>Agradini</registerentry>
      <registerpages>        <break/>
<registerpage><link destination="internal(32)" location="aut:32">16</link></registerpage></registerpages>
      <registerentry>Amselchen</registerentry>
      <registerpages>        <break/>
<registerpage><link destination="internal(136)" location="aut:136">66</link></registerpage></registerpages>

My XSL for NCX looks like:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<xsl:stylesheet version= "2.0" xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform">

<xsl:output
	method="xml"
	encoding="utf-8"
	indent="yes"
/>

<xsl:template match="/">
<!--
<!DOCTYPE ncx PUBLIC "-//NISO//DTD ncx 2005-1//EN" "http://www.daisy.org/z3986/2005/ncx-2005-1.dtd">
-->
<ncx xmlns="http://www.daisy.org/z3986/2005/ncx/" version="2005-1">

    <head>
        	<xsl:attribute name="content">
        	<xsl:value-of select='count(section[@detail="Titel"])' />
        	</xsl:attribute>
        	<xsl:attribute name="content">
        	<xsl:value-of select='count(section[@detail="Titel"])' />
        	</xsl:attribute>
    </head>

    <docTitle>
        <text><xsl:value-of select='//metavariable[@name="title"]'/></text>
    </docTitle>

    <docAuthor>
        <text><xsl:value-of select='//metavariable[@name="author"]'/></text>
    </docAuthor>

    <navMap>
        <navPoint id="aut_1" playOrder="1">
            <navLabel>
                <text>Start</text>
            </navLabel>
            <content src="content.xhtml"/>
        </navPoint>

	<xsl:for-each select="//registerentry">
	<navPoint>
		<xsl:attribute name="id">
			<xsl:value-of select='translate((following-sibling::registerpages/registerpage/link/@location)[1], ":", "_")'/>
		</xsl:attribute>
		<xsl:attribute name="playOrder">
			  <xsl:value-of select="2 + count(preceding-sibling::registerentry)" />
		</xsl:attribute>
            <navLabel>
                <text><xsl:apply-templates/></text>
            </navLabel>
            <content>
		<xsl:attribute name="src">content.xhtml#<xsl:value-of select='translate((following-sibling::registerpages/registerpage/link/@location)[1], ":", "_")'/></xsl:attribute>
            </content>
    </navPoint>
	</xsl:for-each>

    </navMap>
</ncx>
</xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

Greetlings, Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/

@ 2014-08-27  9:03     ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2014-08-27  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2014-08-26 um 23:08 schrieb Henning Hraban Ramm <texml@fiee.net>:
> I’m at the moment working at ePub versions of my somgbooklets (using LilyPond) and have a bunch of XSL transformations plus shell script (Lua would have more style, I know) to automate as much as possible.
> That stuff is in a state of „works for me“, will try to flesh out the wiki page as soon as I’m content.

I made it an own page:
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Epub_Sample

Greetlings, Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/

@ 2014-08-27  9:05         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2014-08-27  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 8/27/2014 9:02 AM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:

> Am 2014-08-26 um 23:29 schrieb Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>:
>
>> On 8/26/2014 7:08 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
>>
>>> Creating ePub from ConTeXt is still tedious - you need to tag everything (even paragraphs) with \start/\stop, the resulting export.xml is still missing a root node if you use project structure (components), and you need to tinker a lot with the results, since even available information like title is not written to the relevant ePub files.
>>
>> rootnode .. in what sense?
>
> Sorry Hans, I complained about that several times already:
>
> If I have a project structure, i.e. a product with components, export.xml starts like
>
> “““
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
>
> <!-- input filename   : prd_hraban        -->
> <!-- processing date  : Tue Aug 26 12:55:41 2014 -->
> <!-- context version  : 2014.08.19 11:57  -->
> <!-- exporter version : 0.31              -->
>
> <division detail="frontpart">
>   <metadata>
> “““
>
> And since there are several <division>s or other top nodes, Saxon rejects the file because it’s missing a root node.
> <metadata> is always put into the first node of the file (that should be the root node).
>
> Only with a single TeX file, I get something like
>
> “““
> <?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8' standalone='yes' ?>
>
> <!-- input filename   : solo              -->
> <!-- processing date  : Wed Mar 12 11:06:58 2014 -->
> <!-- context version  : 2014.03.07 11:42  -->
> <!-- exporter version : 0.30              -->
>
>   <document language="en" file="solo" date="Wed Mar 12 11:06:58 2014" context="2014.03.07 11:42" version="0.30" xmlns:m="http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML">
>   <metadata>
> “““
>
> I.e. the root node <document> is missing.

hm, can you make a small example?

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: E-books and XML.
@ 2014-08-27  9:25           ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2014-08-27  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2014-08-27 um 15:05 schrieb Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>:
>> I.e. the root node <document> is missing.
>
> hm, can you make a small example?

Here you are.

Greetlings, Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
https://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

[-- Attachment #2: eltest.zip --]
[-- Type: application/zip, Size: 32199 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: eltest.xml --]
[-- Type: application/xml, Size: 3279 bytes --]

* Re: E-books and XML.
@ 2014-08-27  9:37             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2014-08-27  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 8/27/2014 11:25 AM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:

> Am 2014-08-27 um 15:05 schrieb Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>:
>>> I.e. the root node <document> is missing.
>>
>> hm, can you make a small example?
>
> Here you are.

Ah, the document tags are hooked into starttext and at startproduct time
export is not yet enabled,

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: E-books and XML.
@ 2014-08-27  9:46               ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2014-08-27  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2014-08-27 um 15:37 schrieb Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>:

>>> hm, can you make a small example?
>>
>> Here you are.
>
> Ah, the document tags are hooked into starttext and at startproduct time export is not yet enabled,

Nice that you immediately found the error! I suppose it is fixed in next beta?

Greetlings, Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/

@ 2014-08-27 10:06                 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2014-08-27 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 8/27/2014 11:46 AM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
> Am 2014-08-27 um 15:37 schrieb Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>:

>>> Here you are.
>>
>> Ah, the document tags are hooked into starttext and at startproduct time export is not yet enabled,
>
> Nice that you immediately found the error! I suppose it is fixed in next beta?

Indeed. Uploading now. You were lucky that I was looking at the export
already ... now

     \setupbackend
       [export=yes,
        xhtml=yes,
        css=export-example.css]

also exports an html file with all tags being 'div' and the default css
has been adapted to support both. The default css still need some work
because not all browsers handle these div expressions equally well. The
idea is to have a decent looking default as template (one can always
overload).

I have no ebook device (threw away the broken very old one) so no
testing of that part done.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* XML as source (was: E-books and XML)
@ 2014-08-27 14:03     ` Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o.
From: Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o. @ 2014-08-27 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Thomas,

I'm just curious:

- Which editor(s) (including commercial one(s)) do you usually use to create XML source for Ctx? (Under Windows?)

- XML input vs. .tex (.cld) source:

IMHO, when one needs to program parts of Ctx source, it's better to use TeX source/language combined with Lua or CLD.

Or - is it possible to program anyhow in XML source (Lua)?

I have no practical experience with (manual) creation of XML input files for Ctx (yes, of course, there are some .xml sources generated by other programs).

So, I can imagine one prepares source for Ctx as XML when he creates something "belletristic"-like;
when one needs to process many products of other programs, plus to add comments, reports or so, something programmable is necessary;
so, IMHO, XML might be useful for the latter case providing a) programming capabilities and b) good XML editor.

Best regards,

Lukas

On Tue, 26 Aug 2014 20:12:25 +0200, Thomas A. Schmitz <thomas.schmitz@uni-bonn.de> wrote:

> On 26 Aug 2014, at 20:04, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
>
> To chime in: xml input facilitates the separation of content and display. There are many tools which will validate xml as you type. Your context skills will not be lost - if you have invested years in learning to code, you will still be able to do this in your environment files. John's argument does not make sense to me.  If someone new to context asked me, I think I would advise her or him to use xml input which is more versatile and easier to proofread for a beginner. And if one day in 20 years she decides she wants to use another tool for her files, it’s much easier to convert xml.

--
Ing. Lukáš Procházka | mailto:LPr@pontex.cz
Pontex s. r. o.      | mailto:pontex@pontex.cz | http://www.pontex.cz

Tel: +420 241 096 751
Fax: +420 244 461 038

* Re: E-books and XML.
@ 2014-08-27 14:38     ` john Culleton
From: john Culleton @ 2014-08-27 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

wrote:

> On 26 Aug 2014, at 20:04, Hans Hagen
> <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
>

> >> Context users have invested time, often
> >> years, in learning how to write Context
> >> code. Writing XML is a whole other skillset,
> >> comparable to writing xhtml.
> >
> > It's not so different if you're accustomed to
> > structure.
>
> To chime in: xml input facilitates the
> separation of content and display. There are
> many tools which will validate xml as you type.
> Your context skills will not be lost - if you
> have invested years in learning to code, you
> will still be able to do this in your
> environment files. John's argument does not
> make sense to me.  If someone new to context
> asked me, I think I would advise her or him to
> use xml input which is more versatile and
> easier to proofread for a beginner. And if one
> day in 20 years she decides she wants to use
> another tool for her files, it’s much easier to
> convert xml.
>
> Thomas

> Unlimited Disk, Data Transfer, PHP/MySQL Domain
> Hosting http://www.doteasy.com

Some questions:
What tool do you recommend for entering text etc.
in XML format? I have the Bluefish Editor but
usually code html in a plain editor (Gvim).

I downloaded the manual "Dealing with XML in
MKIV" but it presupposes that the user builds his
own conversion system. And it is "still somewhat
exerimental." Is there a conversion system already
in place somewhere?

For the beginner (me) is the MKII method easier
to implement?

--

@ 2014-08-27 16:15       ` Schmitz Thomas A.
From: Schmitz Thomas A. @ 2014-08-27 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 27 Aug 2014, at 16:38, john Culleton <John@wexfordpress.com> wrote:

> Some questions:
> What tool do you recommend for entering text etc.
> in XML format? I have the Bluefish Editor but
> usually code html in a plain editor (Gvim).

“Recommend” is too strong, because everything depends on the type of document you’re working on. I mainly use emacs + nxml mode. It validates on the fly, if your document is well defined, you can make it validate against a relax-ng scheme. To me, this is sufficient. I know that many serious users of nxml swear by oxygen. And I wouldn’t be surprised if Hans used his beloved Scite. (As for Lukas’s question: sorry, I don’t do Windows, I have no clue)

> I downloaded the manual "Dealing with XML in
> MKIV" but it presupposes that the user builds his
> own conversion system. And it is "still somewhat
> exerimental." Is there a conversion system already
> in place somewhere?

I have been using it for a number of years now and have found it as stable as the rest of ConTeXt. Every once in a while, a bug will come up, and it will be fixed by Hans.

Have you seen the wiki page about TEI xml and about processing xml with Lua? That should be a good start.

> For the beginner (me) is the MKII method easier
> to implement?

No, I would say both are about equal in complexity, but the mkiv method is so much more powerful and consistent, I really wouldn’t bother with mkii anymore.

One reason for me to use xml: I generate presentations, manuscripts, handouts from the same source (all with context). When I’m not typesetting the book myself, editors usually want some sort of word or libreoffice document. When my input is xml, it is relatively trivial to transform it to valid html and load that into libreoffice.

Again: much depends on the type of document you’re working on. If every document you write is its own piece of art with numerous font effects and special typesetting needs on every page, I would stay with context syntax. But if your documents have a pretty predictable structure and you don’t expect to be forced to tweak individual page breaks, I would have a very long look at xml. I have grown to like it. If you have ever looked at a tex source document and tried to figure out where the missing brace in your }}}}}}}}}} orgy came from, you will love the tags and their nice nesting.

Thomas

* Re: XML as source (was: E-books and XML)
@ 2014-08-27 18:40       ` Jan Tosovsky
From: Jan Tosovsky @ 2014-08-27 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2014-08-27 Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o. wrote:

> Which editor(s) (including commercial one(s)) do you usually use to
> create XML source for Ctx? (Under Windows?)

This is IMO the best you can currently get:
http://www.oxygenxml.com/xml_author.html

> - XML input vs. .tex (.cld) source:
>
> IMHO, when one needs to program parts of Ctx source, it's better to use
> TeX source/language combined with Lua or CLD.
>
> Or - is it possible to program anyhow in XML source (Lua)?

Most natural way for XML processing is XSLT transformation (kind of functional programming language).

It is advisable to choose one of standardized vocabulary (DocBook, DITA, TEI) what give you a set of out-of-the-box XSLT stylesheets for common output formats. And in some tools, e.g. Oxygen, you can get additional level of comfort (various schema related functionality boosting your productivity) over using your own XML structure.

In case of DocBook you can get even Context output using this XSLT set:
http://dblatex.sourceforge.net/ (there is a dbcontext part in the download section)

Actually, this is my way of using ConTeXt, but with various MKIV compatibility tweaks. From the same DocBook XML source I am producing epub and also WebHelp (set of HTML pages).
http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/webhelp/docs/ch01.html

HTH, Jan

* Re: E-books and XML.
@ 2014-08-28  8:10                   ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2014-08-28  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2014-08-27 um 16:06 schrieb Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>:

>    \setupbackend
>      [export=yes,
>       xhtml=yes,
>       css=export-example.css]
>
> also exports an html file with all tags being 'div' and the default css has been adapted to support both. The default css still need some work because not all browsers handle these div expressions equally well. The idea is to have a decent looking default as template (one can always overload).
>
> I have no ebook device (threw away the broken very old one) so no testing of that part done.

Unfortunately, in that new HTML file, you put all attributes into the class name, so it makes more sense to translate the XML as before.

e.g.

Greetlings, Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/

@ 2014-08-28  8:22                     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2014-08-28  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 8/28/2014 10:10 AM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
> Am 2014-08-27 um 16:06 schrieb Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>:
>
>>     \setupbackend
>>       [export=yes,
>>        xhtml=yes,
>>        css=export-example.css]
>>
>> also exports an html file with all tags being 'div' and the default css has been adapted to support both. The default css still need some work because not all browsers handle these div expressions equally well. The idea is to have a decent looking default as template (one can always overload).
>>
>> I have no ebook device (threw away the broken very old one) so no testing of that part done.
>
> Unfortunately, in that new HTML file, you put all attributes into the class name, so it makes more sense to translate the XML as before.
>
> e.g.

that one is already fixed

those are is okay as a class can have multiple names and the
attribute-name prefix can be used for further css detailing ... so we
export both xthml old style (using tags, something that browsers
understand) and xhtml new style (something that epub devices might be
able to handle)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: E-books and XML.
@ 2014-08-28 10:54                       ` Henning Hraban Ramm
                                           ` (2 more replies)
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2014-08-28 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2014-08-28 um 14:22 schrieb Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>:

> that one is already fixed

good

> those are is okay as a class can have multiple names and the attribute-name prefix can be used for further css detailing ... so we export both xthml old style (using tags, something that browsers understand) and xhtml new style (something that epub devices might be able to handle)

Ok, I don’t care, will continue to use the XML.

Next issue:

I just recognized there’s a problem with references, esp. register:

    <section detail="Titel" location="aut:2">
     <sectiontitle>Erinnerung </sectiontitle>
       <registerentry>Erinnerung</registerentry>
       <registerpages>         <break/>
<registerpage><link destination="internal(3)" location="aut:3">4</link></registerpage></registerpages>
       <registerentry>Vor meinem inn’ren Auge schweben Namen</registerentry>
       <registerpages>         <break/>
<registerpage><link destination="internal(4)" location="aut:4">4</link></registerpage></registerpages>

(These are title and start of lyrics of a song.)

Beside the inconvenience that there is no node wrapping registerentry and registerpages, the locations don’t match.
If there are several index entries pointing to the same point (page), as here, they’re continuously numbered, so that it’s no solution to just subtract 1, as I do at the moment to create my ToC.

Maybe the internal location numbers mean something, but I need a working reference; export.xml doesn’t know anything about pages, therefore the destination makes no sense. Doesn’t ConTeXt have some unique internal reference name?

Greetlings, Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/

@ 2014-08-28 13:34                         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2014-08-28 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 8/28/2014 12:54 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
> Am 2014-08-28 um 14:22 schrieb Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>:
>>
>> that one is already fixed
>
> good

>> those are is okay as a class can have multiple names and the attribute-name prefix can be used for further css detailing ... so we export both xthml old style (using tags, something that browsers understand) and xhtml new style (something that epub devices might be able to handle)
>
> Ok, I don’t care, will continue to use the XML.
>
> Next issue:
>
> I just recognized there’s a problem with references, esp. register:

>      <section detail="Titel" location="aut:2">
>       <sectiontitle>Erinnerung </sectiontitle>
>         <registerentry>Erinnerung</registerentry>
>         <registerpages>         <break/>
> <registerpage><link destination="internal(3)" location="aut:3">4</link></registerpage></registerpages>
>         <registerentry>Vor meinem inn’ren Auge schweben Namen</registerentry>
>         <registerpages>         <break/>
> <registerpage><link destination="internal(4)" location="aut:4">4</link></registerpage></registerpages>
>
> (These are title and start of lyrics of a song.)
>
> Beside the inconvenience that there is no node wrapping registerentry and registerpages, the locations don’t match.
> If there are several index entries pointing to the same point (page), as here, they’re continuously numbered, so that it’s no solution to just subtract 1, as I do at the moment to create my ToC.
>
> Maybe the internal location numbers mean something, but I need a working reference; export.xml doesn’t know anything about pages, therefore the destination makes no sense. Doesn’t ConTeXt have some unique internal reference name?

the internals are the unique ones

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: E-books and XML.
@ 2014-08-28 13:35                         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2014-08-28 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 8/28/2014 12:54 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
> Am 2014-08-28 um 14:22 schrieb Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>:
>>
>> that one is already fixed
>
> good

>> those are is okay as a class can have multiple names and the attribute-name prefix can be used for further css detailing ... so we export both xthml old style (using tags, something that browsers understand) and xhtml new style (something that epub devices might be able to handle)
>
> Ok, I don’t care, will continue to use the XML.
>
> Next issue:
>
> I just recognized there’s a problem with references, esp. register:

>      <section detail="Titel" location="aut:2">
>       <sectiontitle>Erinnerung </sectiontitle>
>         <registerentry>Erinnerung</registerentry>
>         <registerpages>         <break/>
> <registerpage><link destination="internal(3)" location="aut:3">4</link></registerpage></registerpages>
>         <registerentry>Vor meinem inn’ren Auge schweben Namen</registerentry>
>         <registerpages>         <break/>
> <registerpage><link destination="internal(4)" location="aut:4">4</link></registerpage></registerpages>
>
> (These are title and start of lyrics of a song.)
>
> Beside the inconvenience that there is no node wrapping registerentry and registerpages, the locations don’t match.
> If there are several index entries pointing to the same point (page), as here, they’re continuously numbered, so that it’s no solution to just subtract 1, as I do at the moment to create my ToC.

no test file ... no solution ...

@ 2014-08-28 17:02       ` Mica Semrick
From: Mica Semrick @ 2014-08-28 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

The best commercial XML editor is oxygenxml IMHO. If you need free, look at xmlmind.

-m

On August 27, 2014 7:03:06 AM PDT, "Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o." <LPr@pontex.cz> wrote:
>Hello Thomas,
>
>I'm just curious:
>
>- Which editor(s) (including commercial one(s)) do you usually use to
>create XML source for Ctx? (Under Windows?)
>
>- XML input vs. .tex (.cld) source:
>
>IMHO, when one needs to program parts of Ctx source, it's better to use
>TeX source/language combined with Lua or CLD.
>
>Or - is it possible to program anyhow in XML source (Lua)?
>
>I have no practical experience with (manual) creation of XML input
>files for Ctx (yes, of course, there are some .xml sources generated by
>other programs).
>
>So, I can imagine one prepares source for Ctx as XML when he creates
>something "belletristic"-like;
>when one needs to process many products of other programs, plus to add
>comments, reports or so, something programmable is necessary;
>so, IMHO, XML might be useful for the latter case providing a)
>programming capabilities and b) good XML editor.
>
>Best regards,
>
>Lukas
>

>On Tue, 26 Aug 2014 20:12:25 +0200, Thomas A. Schmitz
><thomas.schmitz@uni-bonn.de> wrote:
>

>> On 26 Aug 2014, at 20:04, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
>>
>> To chime in: xml input facilitates the separation of content and
>display. There are many tools which will validate xml as you type. Your
>context skills will not be lost - if you have invested years in
>learning to code, you will still be able to do this in your environment
>files. John's argument does not make sense to me.  If someone new to
>context asked me, I think I would advise her or him to use xml input
>which is more versatile and easier to proofread for a beginner. And if
>one day in 20 years she decides she wants to use another tool for her
>files, it’s much easier to convert xml.
>

>--
>Ing. Lukáš Procházka | mailto:LPr@pontex.cz
>Pontex s. r. o.      | mailto:pontex@pontex.cz | http://www.pontex.cz
>Bezová 1658
>147 14 Praha 4
>
>Tel: +420 241 096 751
>Fax: +420 244 461 038

* Re: E-books and XML.
@ 2014-08-28 17:39                         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2014-08-28 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 8/28/2014 12:54 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
> Am 2014-08-28 um 14:22 schrieb Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>:
>>
>> that one is already fixed
>
> good

>> those are is okay as a class can have multiple names and the attribute-name prefix can be used for further css detailing ... so we export both xthml old style (using tags, something that browsers understand) and xhtml new style (something that epub devices might be able to handle)
>
> Ok, I don’t care, will continue to use the XML.
>
> Next issue:
>
> I just recognized there’s a problem with references, esp. register:

>      <section detail="Titel" location="aut:2">
>       <sectiontitle>Erinnerung </sectiontitle>
>         <registerentry>Erinnerung</registerentry>
>         <registerpages>         <break/>
> <registerpage><link destination="internal(3)" location="aut:3">4</link></registerpage></registerpages>
>         <registerentry>Vor meinem inn’ren Auge schweben Namen</registerentry>
>         <registerpages>         <break/>
> <registerpage><link destination="internal(4)" location="aut:4">4</link></registerpage></registerpages>
>
> (These are title and start of lyrics of a song.)
>
> Beside the inconvenience that there is no node wrapping registerentry and registerpages, the locations don’t match.
> If there are several index entries pointing to the same point (page), as here, they’re continuously numbered, so that it’s no solution to just subtract 1, as I do at the moment to create my ToC.

new beta

\setupbackend
   [export=yes,
    xhtml=yes,
    css=export-example.css]

\starttext

     \index{foo}foo \page
     \index{bar}bar \page
     \index{foo}foo \page
     \index{bar}bar \page
     \index{foo+test}foo \page
     \index{bar+test}bar \page

     \placeregister[index]

\stoptext

gives:

  <register detail="index">
   <registersection>
    <registertag>b</registertag>
    <registerentries>
     <registerentry>
      <registercontent>bar</registercontent>

<registerpages><registerpage>2</registerpage><registerseparator>,</registerseparator><registerpage>4</registerpage></registerpages>
     </registerentry>
     <registerentries>
      <registerentry>
       <registercontent>test</registercontent>
       <registerpages><registerpage>6</registerpage></registerpages>
      </registerentry>
     </registerentries>
    </registerentries>
   </registersection>
   <registersection>
    <registertag>f</registertag>
    <registerentries>
     <registerentry>
      <registercontent>foo</registercontent>

<registerpages><registerpage>1</registerpage><registerseparator>,</registerseparator><registerpage>3</registerpage></registerpages>
     </registerentry>
     <registerentries>
      <registerentry>
       <registercontent>test</registercontent>
       <registerpages><registerpage>5</registerpage></registerpages>
      </registerentry>
     </registerentries>
    </registerentries>
   </registersection>
  </register>

> Maybe the internal location numbers mean something, but I need a working reference; export.xml doesn’t know anything about pages, therefore the destination makes no sense. Doesn’t ConTeXt have some unique internal reference name?
>

> Greetlings, Hraban
> ---
> http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net
> https://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: E-books and XML.
@ 2014-08-29  6:33                           ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2014-08-29  6:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2014-08-28 um 23:39 schrieb Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>:
> [...]
>   <registerentries>
>    <registerentry>
>     <registercontent>foo</registercontent>
> <registerpages><registerpage>1</registerpage><registerseparator>,</registerseparator><registerpage>3</registerpage></registerpages>
>    </registerentry>
>    <registerentries>
>     <registerentry>
>      <registercontent>test</registercontent>
>      <registerpages><registerpage>5</registerpage></registerpages>
>     </registerentry>
>    </registerentries>
>   </registerentries>
>  </registersection>
> </register>
>
>> Maybe the internal location numbers mean something, but I need a working reference; export.xml doesn’t know anything about pages, therefore the destination makes no sense. Doesn’t ConTeXt have some unique internal reference name?

Thank you for caring, the tag hierarchy is good now, but why did you leave out the locations now?
I need some connection between register entry and the origin to be able to create a link.
I can’t use the page numbers, since they don’t exist in the XML (and of course they make no sense there).

Greetlings, Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/

@ 2014-08-29 10:17                             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2014-08-29 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 8/29/2014 8:33 AM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
> [...]
>>      <registerentry>
>>       <registercontent>test</registercontent>
>>       <registerpages><registerpage>5</registerpage></registerpages>
>>      </registerentry>
>>     </registerentries>
>>    </registerentries>
>>   </registersection>
>> </register>
>>
>>> Maybe the internal location numbers mean something, but I need a working reference; export.xml doesn’t know anything about pages, therefore the destination makes no sense. Doesn’t ConTeXt have some unique internal reference name?
>
> Thank you for caring, the tag hierarchy is good now, but why did you leave out the locations now?
> I need some connection between register entry and the origin to be able to create a link.
> I can’t use the page numbers, since they don’t exist in the XML (and of course they make no sense there).

There is probably some more cleanup to do with respect to referencing
(like with lists) but it takes time (till now I never really needed the
export which started as a quick and dirty experiment and normally I need
usage in projects to spend real time on such things.)

Anyway. I've added some more register stuff, but not yet in the default
css where the register is simply ignored (no time for that now).

Maybe we should make a todo list for the export. It's not that complex
but just takes time.

New beta ...

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: E-books and XML.
@ 2014-08-29 11:46                               ` Henning Hraban Ramm
       [not found]                                 ` <540AEA44.2080106@wxs.nl>
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2014-08-29 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2014-08-29 um 16:17 schrieb Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>:
>> Thank you for caring, the tag hierarchy is good now, but why did you leave out the locations now?
>> I need some connection between register entry and the origin to be able to create a link.
>> I can’t use the page numbers, since they don’t exist in the XML (and of course they make no sense there).
>
> There is probably some more cleanup to do with respect to referencing (like with lists) but it takes time (till now I never really needed the export which started as a quick and dirty experiment and normally I need usage in projects to spend real time on such things.)
>
> Anyway. I've added some more register stuff, but not yet in the default css where the register is simply ignored (no time for that now).

Thank you, I’ll see what I can make out of it. (I’ll try to trace every reference back to the chapter level, where I split output HTML files.)

> Maybe we should make a todo list for the export. It's not that complex but just takes time.

Is there already a solution for \em (or \emph) and other switches? They don’t show up in export.xml.

Greetlings, Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/

@ 2014-08-29 12:46                                 ` Hans Hagen
       [not found]                                 ` <540AEA44.2080106@wxs.nl>
From: Hans Hagen @ 2014-08-29 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 8/29/2014 1:46 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
> Am 2014-08-29 um 16:17 schrieb Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>:
>>> Thank you for caring, the tag hierarchy is good now, but why did you leave out the locations now?
>>> I need some connection between register entry and the origin to be able to create a link.
>>> I can’t use the page numbers, since they don’t exist in the XML (and of course they make no sense there).
>>
>> There is probably some more cleanup to do with respect to referencing (like with lists) but it takes time (till now I never really needed the export which started as a quick and dirty experiment and normally I need usage in projects to spend real time on such things.)
>>
>> Anyway. I've added some more register stuff, but not yet in the default css where the register is simply ignored (no time for that now).
>
> Thank you, I’ll see what I can make out of it. (I’ll try to trace every reference back to the chapter level, where I split output HTML files.)
>
>> Maybe we should make a todo list for the export. It's not that complex but just takes time.
>
> Is there already a solution for \em (or \emph) and other switches? They don’t show up in export.xml.

use 'highlights'

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: E-books and XML.
@ 2014-08-30  7:56                                   ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2014-08-30  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2014-08-29 um 18:46 schrieb Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>:

>> Is there already a solution for \em (or \emph) and other switches? They don’t show up in export.xml.
>
> use 'highlights'

Ah, of course, thanks. Forgot to copy my \definehighlight from the previous ebook project.

Greetlings, Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/

       [not found]                                   ` <540C26D3.1020101@wxs.nl>
@ 2014-09-13  7:29                                     ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2014-09-13  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2014-09-07 um 15:35 schrieb Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>:

> On 9/6/2014 1:04 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> An update:
>>
>> mtxrun --script mtx-epub --make somefile
>>
>> now makes an epub 3.0 container ... at least my example is accepted by
>> the kobo, It even works ok when I put fonts on it.
>>
>> I'll finalize (simplify) some of the code later.
>
> I somehow got links working too without the <a> so we have a cleaner output now. As a side effect we have different attributes ... so you might want to check your scripts and the wiki page.
>
> -- links:
> --
> -- url      :
> -- file     :
> -- internal : automatic location
> -- location : named reference
>
> -- references:
> --
> -- implicit : automatic reference
> -- explicit : named reference

Thank you for the notification, I updated my scripts and the wiki page: http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Epub_Sample

BTW I don’t like the javascript links in export.html; I guess they won’t work in most readers, and I prefer clean, semantic HTML.
But since I start from the XML anyway, it doesn’t matter for me.

Greetlings, Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/