* Problem with vocalised hebrew
@ 2017-12-15 11:45 Lutz Haseloff
From: Lutz Haseloff @ 2017-12-15 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,
i would like to typeset hebrew with context.
My not fully working example:

\starttext
\definedfont[name:narkisim at 20pt]
\setupalign[r2l]
טְרוֹפוֹתִי
\stoptext

In the resulting pdf the vocalisations are on the left side of the glyph, instead of being centered.
I append the result of context and the result of Libreoffice.

Is there a way to typeset vocalised hebrew with context or am I doing something wrong?

Greetings Lutz
--
GPG Key ID 3C4F83BC

[-- Attachment #2: context.JPG --]
[-- Type: image/jpeg, Size: 10557 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: libreoffice.JPG --]
[-- Type: image/jpeg, Size: 13562 bytes --]

* Re: Problem with vocalised hebrew
@ 2017-12-15 18:09 ` Rik Kabel
From: Rik Kabel @ 2017-12-15 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2017-12-15 06:45, Lutz Haseloff wrote:
> Hi all,
> i would like to typeset hebrew with context.
> My not fully working example:
>
> \starttext
> \definedfont[name:narkisim at 20pt]
> \setupalign[r2l]
> טְרוֹפוֹתִי
> \stoptext
>
> In the resulting pdf the vocalisations are on the left side of the
> glyph, instead of being centered.
> I append the result of context and the result of Libreoffice.
>
> Is there a way to typeset vocalised hebrew with context or am I doing
> something wrong?
>
> Greetings Lutz
> --
> GPG Key ID 3C4F83BC

Depending on the font, correct niqqud placement requires some
combination (sometimes all) of the following font features: lang, ccmp,
and script. For Ezra SIL, I would use

    \definefontfeature [hebrew] [oldstyle] [
       lang=heb,
       ccmp=yes,
       script=hebr,
    ]
    \starttext
    \definedfont[name:EzraSIL*hebrew at 72pt]
    \setupalign[r2l]
    טְרוֹפוֹתִי
    \stoptext

while for David_CLM the script feature suffices:

    \definefontfeature [hebrew] [oldstyle] [
    % lang=heb,
    % ccmp=yes,
       script=hebr,
    ]
    \starttext
    \definedfont[name:David_CLM-medium*hebrew at 72pt]
    \setupalign[r2l]
    טְרוֹפוֹתִי
    \stoptext

You will have to find what works for narkisim.

--
Rik

* Re: Problem with vocalised hebrew
@ 2017-12-15 19:11   ` Lutz Haseloff
From: Lutz Haseloff @ 2017-12-15 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you very much Rik,
your settings for EzraSIL are working nicely for my favorite font Narkisim.
Thanks again
Lutz

--
GPG Key ID 3C4F83BC

* Re: Problem with vocalised hebrew
@ 2017-12-15 21:54     ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2017-12-15 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you. Wikified: http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Arabic_and_Hebrew#Hebrew

Greetlings, Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
GPG Key ID 1C9B22FD

* Re: Problem with vocalised hebrew
@ 2017-12-16  6:31       ` Lutz Haseloff
From: Lutz Haseloff @ 2017-12-16  6:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hraban,
thank you for wikifying.
B.t.w טרופותי is the ivrit name of the Gruffalo ;-)

Am 15. Dezember 2017 22:54:57 MEZ schrieb Henning Hraban Ramm <texml@fiee.net>:
>Thank you. Wikified:
>http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Arabic_and_Hebrew#Hebrew
>
>Greetlings, Hraban
>---
>http://www.fiee.net
>http://wiki.contextgarden.net
>GPG Key ID 1C9B22FD

GPG Key ID 3C4F83BC

* Re: Problem with vocalised hebrew
@ 2017-12-16  8:23   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2017-12-16  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12/15/2017 7:09 PM, Rik Kabel wrote:
> On 2017-12-15 06:45, Lutz Haseloff wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> i would like to typeset hebrew with context.
>> My not fully working example:
>>
>> \starttext
>> \definedfont[name:narkisim at 20pt]
>> \setupalign[r2l]
>> טְרוֹפוֹתִי
>> \stoptext
>>
>> In the resulting pdf the vocalisations are on the left side of the
>> glyph, instead of being centered.
>> I append the result of context and the result of Libreoffice.
>>
>> Is there a way to typeset vocalised hebrew with context or am I doing
>> something wrong?
>>
>> Greetings Lutz
>> --
>> GPG Key ID 3C4F83BC

> Depending on the font, correct niqqud placement requires some
> combination (sometimes all) of the following font features: lang, ccmp,
> and script. For Ezra SIL, I would use
>
>     \definefontfeature [hebrew] [oldstyle] [
>        lang=heb,
>        ccmp=yes,
>        script=hebr,
>     ]
>     \starttext
>     \definedfont[name:EzraSIL*hebrew at 72pt]
>     \setupalign[r2l]
>     טְרוֹפוֹתִי
>     \stoptext
>
> while for David_CLM the script feature suffices:
>
>     \definefontfeature [hebrew] [oldstyle] [
>     % lang=heb,
>     % ccmp=yes,
>        script=hebr,
>     ]
>     \starttext
>     \definedfont[name:David_CLM-medium*hebrew at 72pt]
>     \setupalign[r2l]
>     טְרוֹפוֹתִי
>     \stoptext
>
> You will have to find what works for narkisim.
There is a font feature hebrew already predefined

\definefontfeature [hebrewoldstyle] [oldstyle] [...]

if you have to set a language depends on the font (often dflt is ok).

This is the predefined set:

\definefontfeature
   [semitic-complete]
   [mode=node,analyze=yes,language=dflt,ccmp=yes,
    autoscript=position,autolanguage=position,
    init=yes,medi=yes,fina=yes,isol=yes,
    mark=yes,mkmk=yes,kern=yes,curs=yes,
    liga=yes,dlig=yes,rlig=yes,clig=yes,calt=yes]

\definefontfeature
   [semitic-simple]
   [mode=node,analyze=yes,language=dflt,ccmp=yes,
    autoscript=position,autolanguage=position,
    init=yes,medi=yes,fina=yes,isol=yes,
    mark=yes,mkmk=yes,kern=yes,curs=yes,
    rlig=yes,calt=yes]

\definefontfeature