* Part head centering and empty header
@ 2006-04-27 22:56 Johannes Graumann
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Johannes Graumann @ 2006-04-27 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello

I have coded my 'Appendix' like so:

\setuphead
  [part]
  [
    header=empty,
    footer=empty,
    alternative=middle,
    placehead=yes,
    resetnumber=no,
    number=no,
    style={
      \ss\switchtobodyfont[60pt]\setupinterlinespace[line=2.8ex]
    },
    page=right
  ]

\startappendices
\setuppagenumbering[way=bytext,partnumber=no,conversion=numbers,location={header,right}]
\framed
  [%
    height=\textheight,%
    frame=off,%
  ]
  {
    \part{Appendices}
  }
{\stopappendices}

Which gives me a nicely vertically and horizontally centered title. One
problem remains though: I can't get rid of the page number. The
framed  '\setuphead[part]' commands concerning header and footer are being
overruled and I can't figure out how to have an empty header for just the
page containing the frame.

Thanks for any hints,

Joh

* Re: Part head centering and empty header
@ 2006-04-28  8:01 ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2006-04-28  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Johannes

If I understand the mechanism correctly you reinstate the pagenumbering
by saying location={header,right}
So I would suggest to say on this page location=
I would insert a \page after the \framed and reinstate the pagenumbering
with location={header,right}

Willi

@ 2006-04-28 18:45 ` nico
From: nico @ 2006-04-28 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 15:56:47 -0700, Johannes Graumann
<johannes_graumann@web.de> wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have coded my 'Appendix' like so: [...]
>
> \startappendices
> \setuppagenumbering[way=bytext,partnumber=no,conversion=numbers,location={header,right}]
> \framed
>   [%
>     height=\textheight,%
>     frame=off,%
>   ]
>   {
>     \part{Appendices}
>   }
> {\stopappendices}
>
> Which gives me a nicely vertically and horizontally centered title. One
> problem remains though: I can't get rid of the page number. The
> framed  '\setuphead[part]' commands concerning header and footer are
> being
> overruled and I can't figure out how to have an empty header for just the
> page containing the frame.

You're right; I don't know how to fix this, but for the centering aspect I
would suggest another approach that is more in the context way of doing:

\def\PartTitle#1#2%
   {\framed[frame=off,height=\textheight,width=\textwidth,align={middle,lohi}]{#2}%
    \pagebreak}

\setuphead
   [part]
   [header=empty,
    footer=empty,
    alternative=middle,
    placehead=yes,
    resetnumber=no,
%   number=no,
    command=\PartTitle,
    page=right
   ]

\starttext
\startappendices
\setuppagenumbering[way=bytext,partnumber=no,conversion=numbers,
                     location={header,right}]

\part{Some Appendices}
\chapter{Chapter 1}
A text

\stopappendices
\stoptext

Regards,
BG

* Re: Part head centering and empty header
@ 2006-04-29 13:08 ` John R. Culleton
From: John R. Culleton @ 2006-04-29 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday 27 April 2006 18:56, Johannes Graumann wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have coded my 'Appendix' like so:
>
> \setuphead
>   [part]
>   [
>     header=empty,
>     footer=empty,
>     alternative=middle,
>     placehead=yes,
>     resetnumber=no,
>     number=no,
>     style={
>       \ss\switchtobodyfont[60pt]\setupinterlinespace[line=2.8ex]
>     },
>     page=right
>   ]
>
> \startappendices
> \setuppagenumbering[way=bytext,partnumber=no,conversion=numbers,location={h
>eader,right}] \framed
>   [%
>     height=\textheight,%
>     frame=off,%
>   ]
>   {
>     \part{Appendices}
>   }
> {\stopappendices}
>
> Which gives me a nicely vertically and horizontally centered title. One
> problem remains though: I can't get rid of the page number. The
> framed  '\setuphead[part]' commands concerning header and footer are being
> overruled and I can't figure out how to have an empty header for just the
> page containing the frame.
>
> Thanks for any hints,
>
> Joh

I would take a different approach, with each part header (there
can't be that many) enclosed in
\startstandardmakeup
and
\stopstandardmakeup

To get the part into the TOC there is a command to write an
entry manually, with \writetolist.

--
John Culleton
Books with answers to marketing and publishing questions:

Book coaches, consultants and packagers:

* Re: Part head centering and empty header
@ 2006-05-01 17:02   ` Johannes Graumann
From: Johannes Graumann @ 2006-05-01 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

John R. Culleton wrote:

> I would take a different approach, with each part header (there
> can't be that many) enclosed in
> \startstandardmakeup
> and
> \stopstandardmakeup
>
> To get the part into the TOC there is a command to write an
> entry manually, with \writetolist.

Thanks a lot for this comment. It solved my problem. I'm now using:

\defineXMLenvironment
  [appendices]
  {%
    \startappendices
      \setuppagenumbering
        [%
          way=bytext,%
          partnumber=no,%
          conversion=numbers,%
          location={header,right}%
        ]%
        \startstandardmakeup
          [%
            headerstate=empty,%
            pagestate=start%
          ]
          \framed
            [%
              width=\textwidth,%
              frame=off,%
            ]
            {%
              \ss\switchtobodyfont[60pt]\setupinterlinespace[line=2.8ex]
              Appendices
              \writetolist[part]{Appendices}{}
            }
        \stopstandardmakeup
  }
  {\stopappendices}

And it does exactly what I want.

@ 2006-05-03 19:57     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-05-03 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Johannes Graumann wrote:
> John R. Culleton wrote:
>

>> I would take a different approach, with each part header (there
>> can't be that many) enclosed in
>> \startstandardmakeup
>> and
>> \stopstandardmakeup
>>
>> To get the part into the TOC there is a command to write an
>> entry manually, with \writetolist.
>>

> Thanks a lot for this comment. It solved my problem. I'm now using:
>
> \defineXMLenvironment
>   [appendices]
>   {%
>     \startappendices
>       \setuppagenumbering
>         [%
>           way=bytext,%
>           partnumber=no,%
>           conversion=numbers,%
>           location={header,right}%
>         ]%
>         \startstandardmakeup
>           [%
>             headerstate=empty,%
>             pagestate=start%
>           ]
>           \framed
>             [%
>               width=\textwidth,%
>               frame=off,%
>             ]
>             {%
>               \ss\switchtobodyfont[60pt]\setupinterlinespace[line=2.8ex]
>               Appendices
>               \writetolist[part]{Appendices}{}
>             }
>         \stopstandardmakeup
>   }
>   {\stopappendices}
>
> And it does exactly what I want.

less messing around with %'s:

\defineXMLenvironment
  [appendices]
  {\directsetup{appendices:start}}
  {\directsetup{appendices:stop}}

\startsetups appendices:start
    \startappendices
        \setuppagenumbering [
            way=bytext,
            partnumber=no,
            conversion=numbers,
            location={header,right}
        ]
        \startstandardmakeup [
            headerstate=empty,
            pagestate=start
        ]
        \framed [
            width=\textwidth,
            frame=off
        ] {
            \switchtobodyfont[60pt,ss]
            \setupinterlinespace[line=2.8ex]
            Appendices
            \writetolist[part]{Appendices}{}
        }
        \stopstandardmakeup
\stopsetups

\startsetups appendices:start
    \stopappendices
\stopsetups

(spaces and lineending are ignored, use \space when a space is needed)

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2006-05-03 23:10       ` Johannes Graumann
From: Johannes Graumann @ 2006-05-03 23:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:

> \defineXMLenvironment
> [appendices]
> {\directsetup{appendices:start}}
> {\directsetup{appendices:stop}}
>
> \startsetups appendices:start
> \startappendices
> \setuppagenumbering [
> way=bytext,
> partnumber=no,
> conversion=numbers,
> location={header,right}
> ]
> \startstandardmakeup [
> headerstate=empty,
> pagestate=start
> ]
> \framed [
> width=\textwidth,
> frame=off
> ] {
> \switchtobodyfont[60pt,ss]
> \setupinterlinespace[line=2.8ex]
> Appendices
> \writetolist[part]{Appendices}{}
> }
> \stopstandardmakeup
> \stopsetups
>
> \startsetups appendices:start
> \stopappendices
> \stopsetups

This produces nothing. Fixing 'start' to 'stop' on the third to last line
doesn't change that.

@ 2006-05-04  6:47         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-05-04  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Johannes Graumann wrote:
> Hans Hagen wrote:
>

>> \defineXMLenvironment
>> [appendices]
>> {\directsetup{appendices:start}}
>> {\directsetup{appendices:stop}}
>>
>> \startsetups appendices:start
>> \startappendices
>> \setuppagenumbering [
>> way=bytext,
>> partnumber=no,
>> conversion=numbers,
>> location={header,right}
>> ]
>> \startstandardmakeup [
>> headerstate=empty,
>> pagestate=start
>> ]
>> \framed [
>> width=\textwidth,
>> frame=off
>> ] {
>> \switchtobodyfont[60pt,ss]
>> \setupinterlinespace[line=2.8ex]
>> Appendices
>> \writetolist[part]{Appendices}{}
>> }
>> \stopstandardmakeup
>> \stopsetups
>>
>> \startsetups appendices:start
>> \stopappendices
>> \stopsetups
>>

> This produces nothing. Fixing 'start' to 'stop' on the third to last line

oeps
> doesn't change that.

strange

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2006-05-04 16:16           ` Johannes Graumann
From: Johannes Graumann @ 2006-05-04 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:
>> This produces nothing. Fixing 'start' to 'stop' on the third to last line
>>
> oeps
>> doesn't change that.
>>
> strange

OKOK, a new day, more sleep thanks to sleeping son: works now and is
(naturally) much cleaner than what I came up with.

Thank you, Joh