* Margin definition trouble.
@ 2006-05-19 21:37 Johannes Graumann
From: Johannes Graumann @ 2006-05-19 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I define my margins like so:

% Papersize is 'letter'
\setuppapersize[letter][letter]

% CIT thesis regulations: 1 in margins, 1.5 in on the binding side
% Johannes: no footer
\setuplayout[
  margin=1in,
  backspace=1.5in,
  footer=0in
]

but the margins on top, bottom and right differ significantly from 1 in (ca.
1 in 3/16) and on the left from 1.5 in (ca. 1 in 11/16). This is in the
printout. Do I have to go adjusting this arbitrarily, printing it and
checking manually?

Can anybody tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Joh

* Re: Margin definition trouble.
@ 2006-05-19 22:17 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2006-05-19 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 5/19/06, Johannes Graumann wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I define my margins like so:
>
> % Papersize is 'letter'
> \setuppapersize[letter][letter]
>
> % CIT thesis regulations: 1 in margins, 1.5 in on the binding side
> % Johannes: no footer
> \setuplayout[
>   margin=1in,
>   backspace=1.5in,
>   footer=0in
> ]
>
> but the margins on top, bottom and right differ significantly from 1 in (ca.
> 1 in 3/16) and on the left from 1.5 in (ca. 1 in 11/16). This is in the
> printout. Do I have to go adjusting this arbitrarily, printing it and
> checking manually?

Do you know the command \showlayout?

> Can anybody tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Margin as the dimension parameter in \setuplayout is not the distance
between text and the border, but the width of "an auxiliary field" on
the left and right (chech the command above to see those fields).

Does
    \setuplayout[
     backspace=1.5in,
     width=6in,
     topspace=1in,
     height=9in, % or even better: height=middle
     footer=0in
    ]
work OK for you?

(width=middle can adjust the width automatically if backspace equals
"forwardspace", but I'm not aware of an option that would calculate
the width automatically for different space on left and right; perhaps
you can use \dimexpr, but I didn't try it)

Mojca

* Re: Margin definition trouble.
@ 2006-05-19 22:43   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2006-05-19 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 5/20/06, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> Does
>     \setuplayout[
>      backspace=1.5in,
>      width=6in,
>      topspace=1in,
>      height=9in, % or even better: height=middle
>      footer=0in
>     ]
> work OK for you?
>
> (width=middle can adjust the width automatically if backspace equals
> "forwardspace", but I'm not aware of an option that would calculate
> the width automatically for different space on left and right; perhaps
> you can use \dimexpr, but I didn't try it)

I'm sorry, I was wrong:

    backspace=1.5in,
    cutspace=1in,
    width=fit,
    topspace=1in,
    % bottomspace=1in,
    height=middle,

Hans, can you please add cutspace and bottomspace to \showlayout?

Thanks,
    Mojca

* Re: Margin definition trouble.
@ 2006-05-19 22:50   ` Johannes Graumann
From: Johannes Graumann @ 2006-05-19 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> Margin as the dimension parameter in \setuplayout is not the distance
> between text and the border, but the width of "an auxiliary field" on
> the left and right (chech the command above to see those fields).

Thanks for pointing out my folly. I did some more digging in the
ConTeXtgarden and came up with the following:

\setuplayout[
  topspace=1in, % the space at the very top of the page
  backspace=1.5in,  % the space in the left hand side of the page
  cutspace=1in, % the space on the right hand side of the page
  bottomspace=1in,
  footer=0in
]

This gets me significantly closer to where I need to be, but the right edge
is more at 15/16 than at 1 in and the bottom one more at 17/16.

Any hints on how to get it even closer?

@ 2006-05-20 10:04     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2006-05-20 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 5/20/06, Johannes Graumann wrote:
> Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>
> > Margin as the dimension parameter in \setuplayout is not the distance
> > between text and the border, but the width of "an auxiliary field" on
> > the left and right (chech the command above to see those fields).
>
> Thanks for pointing out my folly. I did some more digging in the
> ConTeXtgarden and came up with the following:
>
> \setuplayout[
>   topspace=1in, % the space at the very top of the page
>   backspace=1.5in,  % the space in the left hand side of the page
>   cutspace=1in, % the space on the right hand side of the page
>   bottomspace=1in,
>   footer=0in
> ]
>
> This gets me significantly closer to where I need to be, but the right edge
> is more at 15/16 than at 1 in and the bottom one more at 17/16.

How do you measure it? If I turn on the grid in Adobe Acrobat and use
6400% zoom, the lines are just there where they are supposed to be.
(Unless maybe the bottom line since you have to consider the depth of
that line as well.)

> Any hints on how to get it even closer?

Did you use width=fit and height=fit? They are not automatically applied.

Mojca

* Re: Margin definition trouble.
@ 2006-05-20 19:08       ` Johannes Graumann
From: Johannes Graumann @ 2006-05-20 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> Did you use width=fit and height=fit? They are not automatically applied.

Thanks, Fixed now.

Joh