* Tabulate problem
@ 2004-12-20 22:30 VnPenguin
From: VnPenguin @ 2004-12-20 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,
I'm trying a simple tabulate env:
----------- begin code ----------------------------
\starttext
\starttabulate[|l|l|]
\NC foo \NC cmd 2>&1 | grep bar \NC \NR
\stoptabulate
\stoptext
--------------- end code ------------------------------

I have error:
------------------ begin error ---------------------------------------
 grep bar \NC \NR \tabulatetailcontent \removefunnytabulateline
! Forbidden control sequence found while scanning use of \next.
<inserted text>
                \par
<to be read again>
                   \endtemplate
<template> \endtemplate

\processtabulate ...cr \fulltabulatecontent \crcr
                                                  }}\ifnum \nofautotabulate ...
l.21 \stoptabulate
------------------- end error

When I changed "&" by "\&" I have the same error.
Anyone could tell me how to fix it please.

Thank you in advance,

Quy NGUYEN-DAI

* Re: Tabulate problem
@ 2004-12-21 17:03 ` Mari Voipio
From: Mari Voipio @ 2004-12-21 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

VnPenguin wrote:
> ----------- begin code ----------------------------
> \starttext
> \starttabulate[|l|l|]
> \NC foo \NC cmd 2>&1 | grep bar \NC \NR
> \stoptabulate
> \stoptext
> --------------- end code ------------------------------
>
> When I changed "&" by "\&" I have the same error.
> Anyone could tell me how to fix it please.

Your code has another special character besides the ampersand (&); it is
the 'pipe' (i.e. | ). If the pipe is taken away, the file compiles
perfectly.
I very recently found out that having 'mismatched' pipes *really* makes
a mess - and of course I messed up in a text with table code and it took
me ages to figure out that there was nothing wrong with my table and the
problem was my stupid pipe.

I had to fiddle with your "greater than" sign, too, after I got the file
to compile at all (and there might be an easier way), but this compiles
into nice healthy pdf on my TeXLive:

-------------- start code -----------------------------------

\setupoutput[pdf] %remove this line if you don't want pdf

\starttext
\starttabulate[|l|l|]
\NC foo \NC cmd 2 \type{>}\&1 \type{|} grep bar \NC \NR
\stoptabulate
\stoptext

-------------- end code --------------------------------------

Hope this helps!

Mari

* Re: Tabulate problem
@ 2004-12-21 17:13   ` VnPenguin
From: VnPenguin @ 2004-12-21 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 19:03:57 +0200, Mari Voipio <mari.voipio@iki.fi> wrote:
> VnPenguin wrote:
> > ----------- begin code ----------------------------
> > \starttext
> > \starttabulate[|l|l|]
> > \NC foo \NC cmd 2>&1 | grep bar \NC \NR
> > \stoptabulate
> > \stoptext
> > --------------- end code ------------------------------
> >
> > When I changed "&" by "\&" I have the same error.
> > Anyone could tell me how to fix it please.
>
> Your code has another special character besides the ampersand (&); it is
> the 'pipe' (i.e. | ). If the pipe is taken away, the file compiles
> perfectly.
> I very recently found out that having 'mismatched' pipes *really* makes
> a mess - and of course I messed up in a text with table code and it took
> me ages to figure out that there was nothing wrong with my table and the
> problem was my stupid pipe.
>
> I had to fiddle with your "greater than" sign, too, after I got the file
> to compile at all (and there might be an easier way), but this compiles
> into nice healthy pdf on my TeXLive:
>
> -------------- start code -----------------------------------
>
> \setupoutput[pdf] %remove this line if you don't want pdf
>
> \starttext
> \starttabulate[|l|l|]
> \NC foo \NC cmd 2 \type{>}\&1 \type{|} grep bar \NC \NR
> \stoptabulate
> \stoptext

> Hope this helps!

Thank you so much,