* Strange result with 2 columns and textbackground
@ 2005-02-25 23:36 VnPenguin
From: VnPenguin @ 2005-02-25 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,
I do a small test with 2 columns and textbackground :
\setupcolors[state=start]
\definetextbackground[preface]
    [backgroundcolor=green,
    backgroundoffset=.25cm,
    offset=.5cm,
    frame=off,
    location=paragraph,
    color=blue]

\starttext
\chapter{Chapter TEST}
\startcolumns[rule=off,n=2]
\starttextbackground[preface]

\section{tufte.tex}
\input tufte

\section{knuth.tex}
\input knuth

\stoptextbackground
\stopcolumns

\stoptext
The result is very strange :
 http://people.vnoss.org/~vnpenguin/pub/context/test-bgcolor.png
 http://people.vnoss.org/~vnpenguin/pub/context/test-bgcolor.pdf

I'm wrong some things ?

Thank you,
Q.

* Installation för (complete) novices
@ 2005-02-26  8:45 ` Mats Broberg
From: Mats Broberg @ 2005-02-26  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Good morning,

As mentioned yesterday, I am trying to install ConTeXt on my Windows XP
machine. However, I am experiencing some problems and thought I could
get some help from someone on the list.

Bear in mind though, that my previous experience regarding installation
steps is from installing InDesign, QuarkXPress and the like, so you may
want to be a bit patient... :)

This is what I have done so far:

1: Downloaded and installed MikTeX, ver. 2.4, accepting all default
settings/suggestions.

2: Downloaded and installed WinEdt. Have run WinEdt's TeX diagnostics
and it's OK.

3: Downloaded and installed ActivePerl, ver. ActivePerl 5.8.6.811, MSI,
and accepted all default settings/suggestions.

4: Restarted.

5: In the command line window I then typed texexec --verbose and got
alot of information in return, so texexec seems to work alright.

6: Then the installation manuals says something about copying
"texexec.rme" to "texexec.ini". Does it mean that I should delete the
.ini file and rename the .rme file, and then uncommenting the MikTeX
line (as referred in the manual)? Also, I opened the files and they are
just two chunks of unformatted ASCII texts. No linebreaks, no blank
lines etc. Is that correct?

OK, my bloodsugar dropped a bit at that point :) and tried the
following:

I created a small file by copying Hans' sample in Sec 2.2 in the ConTeXt
manual. In the command line window I typed texexec --test and got the
reply:

"unknown file type: texmfscripts"

I would be very grateful if someone could hint what I have done wrong
and/or lead me through any following installation steps.

Many thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Mats Broberg

* Re: Strange result with 2 columns and textbackground
@ 2005-02-27 19:26 ` h h extern
From: h h extern @ 2005-02-27 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

VnPenguin wrote:
> Hi,
> I do a small test with 2 columns and textbackground :
> \setupcolors[state=start]
> \definetextbackground[preface]
>     [backgroundcolor=green,
>     backgroundoffset=.25cm,
>     offset=.5cm,
>     frame=off,
>     location=paragraph,
>     color=blue]
>
> \starttext
> \chapter{Chapter TEST}
> \startcolumns[rule=off,n=2]
> \starttextbackground[preface]
>
> \section{tufte.tex}
> \input tufte
>
> \section{knuth.tex}
> \input knuth
>
> \stoptextbackground
> \stopcolumns
>
> \stoptext
> The result is very strange :
>  http://people.vnoss.org/~vnpenguin/pub/context/test-bgcolor.png
>  http://people.vnoss.org/~vnpenguin/pub/context/test-bgcolor.pdf
>
> I'm wrong some things ?

no, you uncovered a secret: these backgrounds are only supported on one column
mode and column sets; i did a quick hackery test and it is possible to add
support for multi-columns, but the complication is that it currently interferes
with mixed one/multi columns (it only takes a few lines of code, but then you
have half a solution.

i need to separate the multi column sub-output routine first as well as to add
an otr state tracking system in order to get this working robustly; remind in
half a year or so

ntw, if you want just backgrounds behind columns:

\setupcolors[state=start]

\setupcolumns[option=background,background=color,backgroundcolor=red]

\starttext

\chapter{Chapter TEST}

\input tufte

\startcolumns
   \section{tufte.tex} \input tufte
   \section{knuth.tex} \input knuth
\stopcolumns

\input tufte

\stoptext

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2005-02-28  8:34   ` VnPenguin
From: VnPenguin @ 2005-02-28  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 20:26:34 +0100, h h extern <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> no, you uncovered a secret: these backgrounds are only supported on one column
> mode and column sets; i did a quick hackery test and it is possible to add
> support for multi-columns, but the complication is that it currently interferes
> with mixed one/multi columns (it only takes a few lines of code, but then you
> have half a solution.
>
> i need to separate the multi column sub-output routine first as well as to add
> an otr state tracking system in order to get this working robustly; remind in
> half a year or so
>
> ntw, if you want just backgrounds behind columns:
>
> \setupcolors[state=start]
>
> \setupcolumns[option=background,background=color,backgroundcolor=red]
>
> \starttext
>
> \chapter{Chapter TEST}
>
> \input tufte
>
> \startcolumns