* Manual hyphenation
@ 2007-05-23 19:48 Elliot Clifton
From: Elliot Clifton @ 2007-05-23 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi,

I found that my text, which is set in two columns, looks better with
auto-hyphenation disabled using:

\setupalign[nothyphenated]

There are however several over-hanging words that I will need ConTeXt
to hyphenate. I've searched the mailing list and manual and have found
no information on how to do this. The info I did find was about how to
influence the automatic hyphenation. How do I manually indicate to
ConTeXt that a word should be hyphenation. For example if I wanted to
manually force a page break or column break I would use \page and
\column respectively, but what about hyphenation? At the moment I'm
using:

... document-\crlf ation ...

to manually create a hyphenation. Is there a better way?

TIA,

Elliot

--
" By all means break the rules, and break them beautifully,
deliberately, and well.  That is one of the ends for which they exist.

Robert Bringhurst (1946-)

* Re: Manual hyphenation
@ 2007-05-23 21:28 ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2007-05-23 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On May 23, 2007, at 9:48 PM, Elliot Clifton wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I found that my text, which is set in two columns, looks better with
> auto-hyphenation disabled using:
>
> \setupalign[nothyphenated]
>
> There are however several over-hanging words that I will need ConTeXt
> to hyphenate. I've searched the mailing list and manual and have found
> no information on how to do this. The info I did find was about how to
> influence the automatic hyphenation. How do I manually indicate to
> ConTeXt that a word should be hyphenation. For example if I wanted to
> manually force a page break or column break I would use \page and
> \column respectively, but what about hyphenation? At the moment I'm
> using:
>
> ... document-\crlf ation ...
>

> to manually create a hyphenation. Is there a better way?
>
> TIA,
>
> Elliot

You mean document\-ation?

Thomas

* Re: Manual hyphenation
@ 2007-05-24 16:52 ` Elliot Clifton
From: Elliot Clifton @ 2007-05-24 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Thanks for all the suggestions. I used Taco's method but I'll try some
of the others as well.

Elliot

* Re: Manual hyphenation
@ 2007-05-24 12:43   ` John R. Culleton
From: John R. Culleton @ 2007-05-24 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday 24 May 2007 06:19, Hans Hagen wrote:
> Elliot Clifton wrote:
> > Thank you very much Taco. It works very well. It really is useful
> > to be able to select less aggressive hyphenation when necessary.
>
> here is a variant: stepwise and relative to the current values:
>
> \unprotect
>
> \startvariables all
>     lesshyphenation: lesshyphenation
>     morehyphenation: morehyphenation
> \stopvariables
>
> \def\lesshyphens
>   {\lefthyphenmin =\numexpr\lefthyphenmin +1\relax
>    \righthyphenmin=\numexpr\righthyphenmin+1\relax}
>
> \def\morehyphens
>   {\ifcase\lefthyphenmin \else
>      \lefthyphenmin =\numexpr\lefthyphenmin +1\relax
>    \fi
>    \ifcase\righthyphenmin\else
>      \righthyphenmin=\numexpr\righthyphenmin+1\relax
>    \fi}
>
> \installalign \v!lesshyphenation {\lesshyphens}
> \installalign \v!morehyphenation {\morehyphens}
>
> %D The next two lines implement 'align=lesshyphenation' as an
> option %D for \type{\framed} etc.
>
> \setvalue{\@@ragged@@command\v!lesshyphenation}{\appendtoks\lesshyp
>hens\to\everyraggedcommand}
> \setvalue{\@@ragged@@command\v!morehyphenation}{\appendtoks\morehyp
>hens\to\everyraggedcommand}
>
> \protect
>

> Hans

On my last Context project I simply used
\lefthyphenmin 3
to set a new minimum size for the left part of a hyphenated word. The
customer requested it at the last minute (overly picky editor.) It
worked OK on a long and complex document.
--
John Culleton
Able Indexing and Typesetting

* Re: Manual hyphenation
@ 2007-05-24 10:29 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2007-05-24 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

2007/5/24, Elliot Clifton <cliftoo@gmail.com>:
> Thank you very much Taco. It works very well. It really is useful to
> be able to select less aggressive hyphenation when necessary.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Elliot

Hi Elliot,

you can also prevent hyphenation by switching to undefined languages and
the only hyphenations the one in the hyphenation exception list and in words
written with \-.

\unprotect

\startvariables all
  listhyphenation: listhyphenation
\stopvariables

\def\listhyphenation
  {\language\@cclv}

\installalign \v!listhyphenation \listhyphenation

\protect

\setupalign[listhyphenation]

\hyphenation{improv-ements}

\starttext
\input knuth
\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: Manual hyphenation
@ 2007-05-24 10:19 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-05-24 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Elliot Clifton wrote:
> Thank you very much Taco. It works very well. It really is useful to
> be able to select less aggressive hyphenation when necessary.

here is a variant: stepwise and relative to the current values:

\unprotect

\startvariables all
    lesshyphenation: lesshyphenation
    morehyphenation: morehyphenation
\stopvariables

\def\lesshyphens
  {\lefthyphenmin =\numexpr\lefthyphenmin +1\relax
   \righthyphenmin=\numexpr\righthyphenmin+1\relax}

\def\morehyphens
  {\ifcase\lefthyphenmin \else
     \lefthyphenmin =\numexpr\lefthyphenmin +1\relax
   \fi
   \ifcase\righthyphenmin\else
     \righthyphenmin=\numexpr\righthyphenmin+1\relax
   \fi}

\installalign \v!lesshyphenation {\lesshyphens}
\installalign \v!morehyphenation {\morehyphens}

%D The next two lines implement 'align=lesshyphenation' as an option
%D for \type{\framed} etc.

\setvalue{\@@ragged@@command\v!lesshyphenation}{\appendtoks\lesshyphens\to\everyraggedcommand}
\setvalue{\@@ragged@@command\v!morehyphenation}{\appendtoks\morehyphens\to\everyraggedcommand}

\protect

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Manual hyphenation
@ 2007-05-24  9:22 Elliot Clifton
From: Elliot Clifton @ 2007-05-24  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

@ 2007-05-24  7:39 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2007-05-24  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Elliot Clifton wrote:
> On 2007-05-23 17:28 -400
> Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
>
>> \document\-ation
>
> I've tried that. Unfortunately it only seems to work if hyphenation turned on.

You would have to redefine one of the core utility macros to get
this to work.  I wrote a small extension for you that does not
need manual intervention. It only hyphenates words that are longer
than 8 characters. Here is the actual code that should go to the
environment file (or the preamble section):

%D A small extension that creates an align type that only hyphenates
%D long words.

\unprotect
\startvariables all
    lesshyphenation: lesshyphenation
\stopvariables

\def\lesshyphens
     {\lefthyphenmin=4 \righthyphenmin=5 }

\installalign \v!lesshyphenation {\lesshyphens}

%D The next two lines implement 'align=lesshyphenation' as an option
%D for \type{\framed} etc.

\setvalue{\@@ragged@@command\v!lesshyphenation}
     {\appendtoks\lesshyphens \to\everyraggedcommand}

\protect
%D done.

And the usage is like so:

   \setupalign[lesshyphenation]