* Question: Are there any ConTeXt aware scientific pulishers yet
@ 2020-04-15 15:47 Christoph Hintermüller
From: Christoph Hintermüller @ 2020-04-15 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi
Jet a completely different question just out of curiosity?

1) Does anybody know of any scientific publisher or single journals
which accept papers/book chapters typeset in ConTeXt yet
2) If there are any is any of them convinced enought about ConTeXt to
recommend use of ConTeXt or even provide template?
3) What would be needed and what could help to make them aware?
(difficult to properly formulate, if unclear dont bother)

Best
Xristoph

--
Christoph Hintermueller
Eisenhandstraße 33/23

* Re: Question: Are there any ConTeXt aware scientific pulishers yet
@ 2020-04-15 17:18 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2020-04-15 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 15.04.2020 um 17:47 schrieb Christoph Hintermüller <christoph@out-world.com>:
>
> 1) Does anybody know of any scientific publisher or single journals
> which accept papers/book chapters typeset in ConTeXt yet
> 2) If there are any is any of them convinced enought about ConTeXt to
> recommend use of ConTeXt or even provide template?

IRCPS’s journals are typeset with ConTeXt.
https://ircps.org

Also, our (Verlag Dreiviertelhaus) publications are mostly typeset with ConTeXt, including the magazine on German literature, Kritische Ausgabe.
https://www.dreiviertelhaus.de

Best, Hraban

* Re: Question: Are there any ConTeXt aware scientific pulishers yet
@ 2020-04-15 20:52 ` denis.maier.lists
From: denis.maier.lists @ 2020-04-15 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

I will use ConTeXt to typeset the Jewish Studies journal *Judaica* (https://bop.unibe.ch/index.php/judaica/index). (The first issue should appear soon.) However, we do not accept ConTeXt sources as we use jats xml as our production format. (Actually, I don't expect any of our authors is using ConTeXt.)

> 2) If there are any is any of them convinced enought about ConTeXt to recommend use of ConTeXt or even provide template?

Yes, I gave two talks last year at the Public Knowledge Project Conference in Barcelona. One was about our general workflow (going from docx via pandoc markdown to jats xml; the other was about typesetting xml with ConTeXt.)

> 3) What would be needed and what could help to make them aware?
> (difficult to properly formulate, if unclear dont bother)

Don't know. Perhaps more examples?

Best,
Denis

* Re: Question: Are there any ConTeXt aware scientific pulishers yet
@ 2020-04-16  7:02   ` Henning Hraban Ramm
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2020-04-16  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 15.04.2020 um 22:52 schrieb denis.maier.lists@mailbox.org:
>
> Hi,
>
>> 1) Does anybody know of any scientific publisher or single journals
>> which accept papers/book chapters typeset in ConTeXt yet
>
> I will use ConTeXt to typeset the Jewish Studies journal *Judaica* (https://bop.unibe.ch/index.php/judaica/index). (The first issue should appear soon.) However, we do not accept ConTeXt sources as we use jats xml as our production format. (Actually, I don't expect any of our authors is using ConTeXt.)

Interesting. Is ConTeXt handling Hebrew well?

>> 2) If there are any is any of them convinced enought about ConTeXt to recommend use of ConTeXt or even provide template?
>
> Yes, I gave two talks last year at the Public Knowledge Project Conference in Barcelona. One was about our general workflow (going from docx via pandoc markdown to jats xml; the other was about typesetting xml with ConTeXt.)

I’m using a Python script to convert DOCX to ConTeXt. The better the input, the better the output can be. Usually there’s a lot of manual work. (Last week I had an article whose author never grew out of the typewriter, i.e. every line was a paragraph, footnotes were just paragraphs at the end of his pages – of course my script couldn’t handle that well.)

>> 3) What would be needed and what could help to make them aware?
>> (difficult to properly formulate, if unclear dont bother)
>
> Don't know. Perhaps more examples?

Even LaTeX is a niche; there are not enough users of ConTeXt for it to look reliable, I guess. You can’t really use it without involving yourself in the community.

And while I generally love working with ConTeXt, I’m cursing it often enough for unexpected/undocumented behaviour, unfinished features and scattered documentation. My book is intended to fix the latter, but there’s no progress – I got too many different projects and severe limitations of working capacity. And children at home...

Best, Hraban

* Re: Question: Are there any ConTeXt aware scientific pulishers yet
@ 2020-04-16  7:53   ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2020-04-16  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 4/15/20 10:52 PM, denis.maier.lists@mailbox.org wrote:
> [...]
>> 2) If there are any is any of them convinced enought about ConTeXt
>> to recommend use of ConTeXt or even provide template?
>
> Yes, I gave two talks last year at the Public Knowledge Project
> Conference in Barcelona. One was about our general workflow (going
> from docx via pandoc markdown to jats xml; the other was about
> typesetting xml with ConTeXt.)

Do you plan to release the slides of these talks?

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: Question: Are there any ConTeXt aware scientific pulishers yet
@ 2020-04-16  8:00     ` Arthur Reutenauer
From: Arthur Reutenauer @ 2020-04-16  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Apr 16, 2020 at 09:53:46AM +0200, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
> On 4/15/20 10:52 PM, denis.maier.lists@mailbox.org wrote:
>> Yes, I gave two talks last year at the Public Knowledge Project
>> Conference in Barcelona. One was about our general workflow (going
>> from docx via pandoc markdown to jats xml; the other was about
>> typesetting xml with ConTeXt.)
>
> Do you plan to release the slides of these talks?

  https://conference.pkp.sfu.ca/index.php/pkp2019/pkp2019/paper/viewFile/719/455 and https://conference.pkp.sfu.ca/index.php/pkp2019/pkp2019/paper/viewFile/691/471

	Arthur

* Re: Question: Are there any ConTeXt aware scientific pulishers yet
@ 2020-04-16  8:05     ` denis.maier.lists
From: denis.maier.lists @ 2020-04-16  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Pablo Rodriguez <oinos@gmx.es> hat am 16. April 2020 09:53 geschrieben:
>

> On 4/15/20 10:52 PM, denis.maier.lists@mailbox.org wrote:
> > [...]
> >> 2) If there are any is any of them convinced enought about ConTeXt
> >> to recommend use of ConTeXt or even provide template?
> >
> > Yes, I gave two talks last year at the Public Knowledge Project
> > Conference in Barcelona. One was about our general workflow (going
> > from docx via pandoc markdown to jats xml; the other was about
> > typesetting xml with ConTeXt.)
>
> Do you plan to release the slides of these talks?

Sure, https://boris.unibe.ch/135830/ and https://boris.unibe.ch/135828/

Best,
Denis

* Re: Question: Are there any ConTeXt aware scientific pulishers yet
@ 2020-04-16  8:26     ` denis.maier.lists
From: denis.maier.lists @ 2020-04-16  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Henning Hraban Ramm <texml@fiee.net> hat am 16. April 2020 09:02 geschrieben:

> > I will use ConTeXt to typeset the Jewish Studies journal *Judaica* (https://bop.unibe.ch/index.php/judaica/index). (The first issue should appear soon.) However, we do not accept ConTeXt sources as we use jats xml as our production format. (Actually, I don't expect any of our authors is using ConTeXt.)
>
> Interesting. Is ConTeXt handling Hebrew well?

Well, it's not field tested yet. But yes, the demo files work.

> >> 2) If there are any is any of them convinced enought about ConTeXt to recommend use of ConTeXt or even provide template?
> >
> > Yes, I gave two talks last year at the Public Knowledge Project Conference in Barcelona. One was about our general workflow (going from docx via pandoc markdown to jats xml; the other was about typesetting xml with ConTeXt.)
>
> I’m using a Python script to convert DOCX to ConTeXt. The better the input, the better the output can be. Usually there’s a lot of manual work. (Last week I had an article whose author never grew out of the typewriter, i.e. every line was a paragraph, footnotes were just paragraphs at the end of his pages – of course my script couldn’t handle that well.)

Yeah, as always, the output is only as good as the input. That's partly why I use pandoc (twice, actually.) In a first run, I produce a normalized markdown file, where such idiosyncrasies are removed. There, I then add additional formatting. In the second run I can then produce the XML. We need the XML to produce a nice web view using the Lens Viewer. And also, with pandoc it's much easier to produce XML than ConTeXt.

Best,
Denis

* Re: Question: Are there any ConTeXt aware scientific pulishers yet
@ 2020-04-16  8:32     ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2020-04-16  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Apr 16, 2020 at 9:08 AM Henning Hraban Ramm <texml@fiee.net> wrote:

> > Am 15.04.2020 um 22:52 schrieb denis.maier.lists@mailbox.org:
>
> I’m using a Python script to convert DOCX to ConTeXt.

c# under linux is also a valid option.

--
luigi

* Re: Question: Are there any ConTeXt aware scientific pulishers yet
@ 2020-04-16 10:24     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2020-04-16 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 4/16/2020 9:02 AM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:

>> Am 15.04.2020 um 22:52 schrieb denis.maier.lists@mailbox.org:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>>> 1) Does anybody know of any scientific publisher or single journals
>>> which accept papers/book chapters typeset in ConTeXt yet
>>
>> I will use ConTeXt to typeset the Jewish Studies journal *Judaica* (https://bop.unibe.ch/index.php/judaica/index). (The first issue should appear soon.) However, we do not accept ConTeXt sources as we use jats xml as our production format. (Actually, I don't expect any of our authors is using ConTeXt.)
>
> Interesting. Is ConTeXt handling Hebrew well?
hebrew is not that complex to handle so context should handle it okay
(assuming a proper font setup)

Hans

* Re: Question: Are there any ConTeXt aware scientific pulishers yet
@ 2020-04-16 12:03       ` denis.maier.lists
From: denis.maier.lists @ 2020-04-16 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Hans Hagen <j.hagen@xs4all.nl> hat am 16. April 2020 12:24 geschrieben:
>

> On 4/16/2020 9:02 AM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
> >

> >> Am 15.04.2020 um 22:52 schrieb denis.maier.lists@mailbox.org:
> >>
> >> Hi,

> >> I will use ConTeXt to typeset the Jewish Studies journal *Judaica* (https://bop.unibe.ch/index.php/judaica/index). (The first issue should appear soon.) However, we do not accept ConTeXt sources as we use jats xml as our production format. (Actually, I don't expect any of our authors is using ConTeXt.)
> >
> > Interesting. Is ConTeXt handling Hebrew well?
> hebrew is not that complex to handle so context should handle it okay
> (assuming a proper font setup)

Yeah, it seems so. I'm much more afraid of getting Arabic and Judeo-Arabic right...

Denis

* Re: Question: Are there any ConTeXt aware scientific pulishers yet
@ 2020-04-16 14:04       ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2020-04-16 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 4/16/20 10:00 AM, Arthur Reutenauer wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 16, 2020 at 09:53:46AM +0200, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
>> [...]
>> Do you plan to release the slides of these talks?
>
>   https://conference.pkp.sfu.ca/index.php/pkp2019/pkp2019/paper/viewFile/719/455 and https://conference.pkp.sfu.ca/index.php/pkp2019/pkp2019/paper/viewFile/691/471.

Many thanks for the links, Arthur.

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: Question: Are there any ConTeXt aware scientific pulishers yet
@ 2020-04-16 14:05       ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2020-04-16 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 4/16/20 10:05 AM, denis.maier.lists@mailbox.org wrote:
>> Pablo Rodriguez hat am 16. April 2020 09:53 geschrieben:
>> [...]
>> Do you plan to release the slides of these talks?
>
> Sure, https://boris.unibe.ch/135830/ and https://boris.unibe.ch/135828/

Many thanks for the links, Denis.

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: Question: Are there any ConTeXt aware scientific pulishers yet
@ 2020-04-19 10:16         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2020-04-19 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 4/16/2020 2:03 PM, denis.maier.lists@mailbox.org wrote:

> Yeah, it seems so. I'm much more afraid of getting Arabic and Judeo-Arabic right...
Well, just try it, and when it fails we figure it out. I don't know what
the difference is between those two arabics but in the end it's all
about jugling glyphs and some typographic conventions / differences I
guess.

Hans