* Bug in CONTEXT/LuaTeX or just buggy font
@ 2016-08-09 20:41 Mohammad Hossein Bateni
From: Mohammad Hossein Bateni @ 2016-08-09 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I have a bunch of simple fonts for Arabic/Persian.  These fonts lack Latin
characters, etc., so I use fallbacks to work with them.

I just noticed that \high does not work with them, and have not been able
to pinpoint the issue.  See the MWE below.

\starttypescript [serif][samim][name]
  \definefontsynonym[Serif][Samim]
\stoptypescript

\definetypeface [myfont][rm] [serif][samim][default]
\setupbodyfont [myfont]

\starttext
%\definedfont[Samim*arabic]
۱۲۳\high{۴}۵۶.
\stoptext

I am using Persian digits because the font lacks Latin digits as I
mentioned.  If I use the \definedfont approach, I don't see the character ۴
(argument of \high) at all.  With the typescript approach, the same
character *is* typeset but is *not* raised; it appears on the baseline but
with smaller size.

Any ideas why this is happening?  Could it be that some parameters, for
instance, \exheight are not properly set/read for this font?  Actually, I
looked at the non-math fontdimens in syst-fnt.mkiv, and everything except
\slantperpoint (expected) and \exheight (awkward) is non-zero.  I don't
know where \exheight comes from—perhaps from the height of glyph for 'x',
which the font lacks—however, \emheight is 12pt, although the font also
lacks a glyph for 'm'.

I am also attaching the font in case that helps.

Thanks,
Hossein

[-- Attachment #2: Samim.ttf --]
[-- Type: application/x-font-ttf, Size: 47544 bytes --]

* Re: Bug in CONTEXT/LuaTeX or just buggy font
@ 2016-08-10 15:03 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2016-08-10 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 8/9/2016 10:41 PM, Mohammad Hossein Bateni wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a bunch of simple fonts for Arabic/Persian.  These fonts lack
> Latin characters, etc., so I use fallbacks to work with them.
>
> I just noticed that \high does not work with them, and have not been
> able to pinpoint the issue.  See the MWE below.
>

> \starttypescript [serif][samim][name]
>   \definefontsynonym[Serif][Samim]
> \stoptypescript
>
> \definetypeface [myfont][rm] [serif][samim][default]
> \setupbodyfont [myfont]
>
> \starttext
> %\definedfont[Samim*arabic]
> ۱۲۳\high{۴}۵۶.
> \stoptext
>

> I am using Persian digits because the font lacks Latin digits as I
> mentioned.  If I use the \definedfont approach, I don't see the
> character ۴ (argument of \high) at all.  With the typescript approach,
> the same character /is/ typeset but is /not/ raised; it appears on the
> baseline but with smaller size.
>
> Any ideas why this is happening?  Could it be that some parameters, for
> instance, \exheight are not properly set/read for this font?  Actually,
> I looked at the non-math fontdimens in syst-fnt.mkiv, and everything
> except \slantperpoint (expected) and \exheight (awkward) is non-zero.  I
> don't know where \exheight comes from—perhaps from the height of glyph
> for 'x', which the font lacks—however, \emheight is 12pt, although the
> font also lacks a glyph for 'm'.
>
> I am also attaching the font in case that helps.

Normally one sets up a proper bodyfont (and environment if needed) while
you use just a simple font switch and that one is unrelated to any other
font setting.

I'll add two new commands: \sx and \sxx so that you can say:

     \setuplow [style=\sx]
     \setuphigh[style=\sx]

for such cases. However, as these are derived relative scales they are
normally not compatible with \tx and txx sizes.

Hans

* Re: Bug in CONTEXT/LuaTeX or just buggy font
@ 2016-08-10 15:19   ` Mohammad Hossein Bateni
From: Mohammad Hossein Bateni @ 2016-08-10 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 11:03 AM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> On 8/9/2016 10:41 PM, Mohammad Hossein Bateni wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a bunch of simple fonts for Arabic/Persian.  These fonts lack
>> Latin characters, etc., so I use fallbacks to work with them.
>>
>> I just noticed that \high does not work with them, and have not been
>> able to pinpoint the issue.  See the MWE below.
>>

>> \starttypescript [serif][samim][name]
>>   \definefontsynonym[Serif][Samim]
>> \stoptypescript
>>
>> \definetypeface [myfont][rm] [serif][samim][default]
>> \setupbodyfont [myfont]
>>
>> \starttext
>> %\definedfont[Samim*arabic]
>> ۱۲۳\high{۴}۵۶.
>> \stoptext
>>

>> I am using Persian digits because the font lacks Latin digits as I
>> mentioned.  If I use the \definedfont approach, I don't see the
>> character ۴ (argument of \high) at all.  With the typescript approach,
>> the same character /is/ typeset but is /not/ raised; it appears on the
>> baseline but with smaller size.
>>
>> Any ideas why this is happening?  Could it be that some parameters, for
>> instance, \exheight are not properly set/read for this font?  Actually,
>> I looked at the non-math fontdimens in syst-fnt.mkiv, and everything
>> except \slantperpoint (expected) and \exheight (awkward) is non-zero.  I
>> don't know where \exheight comes from—perhaps from the height of glyph
>> for 'x', which the font lacks—however, \emheight is 12pt, although the
>> font also lacks a glyph for 'm'.
>>
>> I am also attaching the font in case that helps.
>>

> Normally one sets up a proper bodyfont (and environment if needed) while
> you use just a simple font switch and that one is unrelated to any other
> font setting.

Thanks!  But what does a `proper' bodyfont contain beside defining rm, ss,
tt and mm for 'myfont' above (with regular, bold, italic, and bolditalic)?
The above was a MWE but in my real example I am setting up these things
that I mentioned in a larger typescript.  How can I modify the font or the
typescript definitions (or the environment) to get \exheight right?

> I'll add two new commands: \sx and \sxx so that you can say:
>
>     \setuplow [style=\sx]
>     \setuphigh[style=\sx]

 If I do this, this will not get attached to the font; right?  For
instance, if I define two bodyfonts 'myfonta' and 'myfontb', and switch
between them in the document, then I have to stick to these two setups if
one font, say 'myfonta', is problematic.  Is that correct?

@ 2016-08-10 15:31     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2016-08-10 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 8/10/2016 5:19 PM, Mohammad Hossein Bateni wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 11:03 AM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl
> <mailto:pragma@wxs.nl>> wrote:
>
>     On 8/9/2016 10:41 PM, Mohammad Hossein Bateni wrote:
>
>         Hello,
>
>         I have a bunch of simple fonts for Arabic/Persian.  These fonts lack
>         Latin characters, etc., so I use fallbacks to work with them.
>
>         I just noticed that \high does not work with them, and have not been
>         able to pinpoint the issue.  See the MWE below.
>

>         \starttypescript [serif][samim][name]
>           \definefontsynonym[Serif][Samim]
>         \stoptypescript
>
>         \definetypeface [myfont][rm] [serif][samim][default]
>         \setupbodyfont [myfont]
>
>         \starttext
>         %\definedfont[Samim*arabic]
>         ۱۲۳\high{۴}۵۶.
>         \stoptext
>

>         I am using Persian digits because the font lacks Latin digits as I
>         mentioned.  If I use the \definedfont approach, I don't see the
>         character ۴ (argument of \high) at all.  With the typescript
>         approach,
>         the same character /is/ typeset but is /not/ raised; it appears
>         on the
>         baseline but with smaller size.
>
>         Any ideas why this is happening?  Could it be that some
>         parameters, for
>         instance, \exheight are not properly set/read for this font?
>         Actually,
>         I looked at the non-math fontdimens in syst-fnt.mkiv, and everything
>         except \slantperpoint (expected) and \exheight (awkward) is
>         non-zero.  I
>         don't know where \exheight comes from—perhaps from the height of
>         glyph
>         for 'x', which the font lacks—however, \emheight is 12pt,
>         although the
>         font also lacks a glyph for 'm'.
>
>         I am also attaching the font in case that helps.
>

>     Normally one sets up a proper bodyfont (and environment if needed)
>     while you use just a simple font switch and that one is unrelated to
>     any other font setting.
>

> Thanks!  But what does a `proper' bodyfont contain beside defining rm,
> ss, tt and mm for 'myfont' above (with regular, bold, italic, and
> bolditalic)?  The above was a MWE but in my real example I am setting up
> these things that I mentioned in a larger typescript.  How can I modify
> the font or the typescript definitions (or the environment) to get
> \exheight right?

at least rm (or ss), mm and tt

x heights and emwidths come from the font (parameters) and as last
resort are derived from other properties

>     I'll add two new commands: \sx and \sxx so that you can say:
>
>         \setuplow [style=\sx]
>         \setuphigh[style=\sx]
>

>  If I do this, this will not get attached to the font; right?  For
> instance, if I define two bodyfonts 'myfonta' and 'myfontb', and switch
> between them in the document, then I have to stick to these two setups
> if one font, say 'myfonta', is problematic.  Is that correct?

it's dynamicly calculated (for performance reasons once per font instance)

you can play with these:

\setuplow [down=.48\exheight]
\setuphigh[up=.86\exheight]

e.g. use other values, but if your ex and em are bad you can expect many
other issues (so best use decent fonts)