From: Hans Hagen <j.hagen@xs4all.nl>
Subject: lmtx update
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2020 10:32:34 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi,

Sorry for the long mail ...

One of the changes in lmtx is that we freeze the properties that
determine the paragraph shape as well as breaking into lines in such a
way that we have predictable behaviour. As a side effect it can be that
existing code (lmtx only) will behave differently (will be fixed when we
notice) but also that some low level user tweaking can not work, i.e.
they are just ignored, but only when they happen mid paragraph which
actually is always debatable anyway.

Now, if for some reasom you get unexpected results and can't wait for a
fix, you can do this:

   \forgetparagraphfreezing : disables
   \setparagraphfreezing    : enables (default)

Of course it might have other side effects once in lmtx we everywhere
expect freezing to be enabled. You can take a snapshot with:

   \freezeparagraphproperties  : snapshot relevant parameters
   \defrostparagraphproperties : resets snapshot

More efficient is snapshotting a subcategory:

   \updateparagraphproperties : all
   \updateparagraphpenalties  : only penalties
   \updateparagraphdemerits   : other than penalties
   \updateparagraphshapes     : hangindent etc

Don't use the low level commands that they use because we take plenty of
time to experiment at that level and interfaces might evolve, for instance:

\frozen\hangindent 30pt
\frozen\hangafter  2

is valid and will likely stay.

We're talking of a conceptually rather different approach. Internally
the engine is still doing the same things but we can control it a bit
differently. Due to the way ConTeXt is set up, we can make such a
paradigm shift without too much troubles. I'll wrap up more details in
an article later.

Other work in progress is: better columns in itemize, esp proper
footnote support (not that I ever need that but I know users do so ...),
experiments work ok, but I need to check spacing. In general, footnotes
(will) behave a bit better, especially those used nested in other
mechanisms. A side effect of more control is that we can do other tricks
too and we're playing with it (kind of fun).

More work in progress concerns paragraph wrappers and that will result
in a rewrite of some existing mechanism (generic subsystems with
instances), but that might as well go unnoticed.

To give an idea of possibilities, here is an example:

\definedescription[whatever][alternative=right:bottom]

\startwhatever{just a small\\example}
     \input ward
\stopwhatever

No one ever requested it so see it an a quick and dirty example but
don't hesitate to ask for more anyway (we like an occasional challenge).

Anyway, it might take some weeks / iterations before all this settles
down and now you can't say that we didn't warn you.

So far,

Hans