* --luatex option failing
@ 2021-05-28  5:13 jbf
From: jbf @ 2021-05-28  5:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi list,

Not at all sure why this is happening. In my most recent install of lmtx
(which works fine as lmtx) on Linux, I wanted to choose the --luatex
option just to make a comparison between the mkiv output and lmtx.

The redirection part seems to work (... --script mtx-context --luatex
myfile.tex --redirected), but no 'resolvers' follow. Instead I get
mtxrun  | unknown script 'mtx-context.lua' or 'mtx-mtx-context.lua'.

I have tried both luatextools --generate and mtxrun --generate, but
neither of these fix the problem. Would someone know why this is not
working? Or even better, how to fix it? I installed lmtx on another
machine and have no problems using the --luatex option there, so the
matter is not urgent for me, just puzzling! I do have a separate mkiv
installation as well, but my understanding is that they would not
conflict. LMTX contains everything that is needed.

Julian

* Re: --luatex option failing
@ 2021-05-28  7:15 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2021-05-28  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 5/28/2021 7:13 AM, jbf wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> Not at all sure why this is happening. In my most recent install of lmtx
> (which works fine as lmtx) on Linux, I wanted to choose the --luatex
> option just to make a comparison between the mkiv output and lmtx.
>
> The redirection part seems to work (... --script mtx-context --luatex
> myfile.tex --redirected), but no 'resolvers' follow. Instead I get
> mtxrun  | unknown script 'mtx-context.lua' or 'mtx-mtx-context.lua'.
>
> I have tried both luatextools --generate and mtxrun --generate, but
> neither of these fix the problem. Would someone know why this is not
> working? Or even better, how to fix it? I installed lmtx on another
> machine and have no problems using the --luatex option there, so the
> matter is not urgent for me, just puzzling! I do have a separate mkiv
> installation as well, but my understanding is that they would not
> conflict. LMTX contains everything that is needed.
In lmtx "mtxrun" and "context" are just links to "luametatex" and when
called with a different name than "luametatex" they will try to locate
scripts with their name in the same path (so there need to be mtxrun.lua
and context.lua in that nin path). The mtxrun.lua file contains most lua
libs so it can provide the same helpers as in context, when used as
stand alone runner (so, instead if native lua one can just use mtxrun)
while the context.lua script will locate mtx-context.lua and run that
one. For that it needs the file database.

Forget about luatools .. gone for ages. An mtxrun --generate or even
context --generate should work ok. if not there's somethign with
permissions or paths or a missing file.

Hans

* Re: --luatex option failing
@ 2021-05-28  9:40   ` jbf
From: jbf @ 2021-05-28  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Still finding it very difficult to nail what the real problem is. You
say: "An mtxrun --generate or even context --generate should work ok. if
not there's something with permissions or paths or a missing file".

Neither of the --generate options make any difference, so it clearly has
to come down to "permissions or paths or a missing file". I cannot see
that it is permissions. Comparing permissions on both machines (one
working with --luatex and one not) I cannot see any difference. Paths?
The only thing I can see is that I also have (later in the path) a
separate installation for mkiv... but surely that would not make a
difference? So, a missing file??

I renamed the current folder called lmtx so it would not be recognised
(called it lmtxx) and created a new lmtx folder into which I have
installed a new version (and obviously it would still be in the path,
since ~/Documents/lmtx/tex/texmf-linux-64/bin is already in the path).

So two questions: (1) Is it possible that having another version (mkiv)
later in the path is causing the problem? (2) If a file is missing, what
could it possibly be, given that I did a fresh install?

As this may be an 'ignorant' kind of question, something I should really
know but don't, about paths and permissions, there may be someone else
on the list with time (in lockdown like I am) to put me right.

Julian

On 28/5/21 5:15 pm, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 5/28/2021 7:13 AM, jbf wrote:
>> Hi list,
>>
>> Not at all sure why this is happening. In my most recent install of
>> lmtx (which works fine as lmtx) on Linux, I wanted to choose the
>> --luatex option just to make a comparison between the mkiv output and
>> lmtx.
>>
>> The redirection part seems to work (... --script mtx-context --luatex
>> myfile.tex --redirected), but no 'resolvers' follow. Instead I get
>> mtxrun  | unknown script 'mtx-context.lua' or 'mtx-mtx-context.lua'.
>>
>> I have tried both luatextools --generate and mtxrun --generate, but
>> neither of these fix the problem. Would someone know why this is not
>> working? Or even better, how to fix it? I installed lmtx on another
>> machine and have no problems using the --luatex option there, so the
>> matter is not urgent for me, just puzzling! I do have a separate mkiv
>> installation as well, but my understanding is that they would not
>> conflict. LMTX contains everything that is needed.
> In lmtx "mtxrun" and "context" are just links to "luametatex" and when
> called with a different name than "luametatex" they will try to locate
> scripts with their name in the same path (so there need to be
> mtxrun.lua and context.lua in that nin path). The mtxrun.lua file
> contains most lua libs so it can provide the same helpers as in
> context, when used as stand alone runner (so, instead if native lua
> one can just use mtxrun) while the context.lua script will locate
> mtx-context.lua and run that one. For that it needs the file database.
>
> Forget about luatools .. gone for ages. An mtxrun --generate or even
> context --generate should work ok. if not there's somethign with
> permissions or paths or a missing file.
>
> Hans

* Re: --luatex option failing
@ 2021-05-28 10:00     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2021-05-28 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 5/28/2021 11:40 AM, jbf wrote:
> Still finding it very difficult to nail what the real problem is. You
> say: "An mtxrun --generate or even context --generate should work ok. if
> not there's something with permissions or paths or a missing file".
>
> Neither of the --generate options make any difference, so it clearly has
> to come down to "permissions or paths or a missing file". I cannot see
> that it is permissions. Comparing permissions on both machines (one
> working with --luatex and one not) I cannot see any difference. Paths?
> The only thing I can see is that I also have (later in the path) a
> separate installation for mkiv... but surely that would not make a
> difference? So, a missing file??
>
> I renamed the current folder called lmtx so it would not be recognised
> (called it lmtxx) and created a new lmtx folder into which I have
> installed a new version (and obviously it would still be in the path,
> since ~/Documents/lmtx/tex/texmf-linux-64/bin is already in the path).
>
> So two questions: (1) Is it possible that having another version (mkiv)
> later in the path is causing the problem? (2) If a file is missing, what
> could it possibly be, given that I did a fresh install?

not really, because the location where the running bin is found is
determining the root of the to be used tds .. (i assume your cache is in
that tree, not in some /tmp although even then the hashed name should
prevent clashes)

> As this may be an 'ignorant' kind of question, something I should really
> know but don't, about paths and permissions, there may be someone else
> on the list with time (in lockdown like I am) to put me right.
you need help from a linux expert indeed

Hans

* Re: --luatex option failing
@ 2021-05-28 17:43       ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2021-05-28 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 5/28/21 12:00 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 5/28/2021 11:40 AM, jbf wrote:
>> [...]
>> As this may be an 'ignorant' kind of question, something I should really
>> know but don't, about paths and permissions, there may be someone else
>> on the list with time (in lockdown like I am) to put me right.
> you need help from a linux expert indeed

Just a comment. I also experienced problems in Linux with --luatex some
days ago.

I got everything right with current latest (2021.05.27 14:15).

I would erase the cache and try it again:

  mtxrun --script cache --erase && mtxrun --generate

I’m not a Linux expert at all. But this might help.

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk