* Problems with headers using margintext alternative
@ 2017-07-23 19:48 Rik Kabel
From: Rik Kabel @ 2017-07-23 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

The following example demonstrates two problems with
alternative=margintext in \setuphead:

 1. When used with start/stop sectioning, text following the title may
    be set on the wrong line.
 2. Without regard to the type of sectioning, margintext titles may
    spill over the left edge of the margin and beyond the page frame.

    \setuppapersize
         [letter]
         [letter,oversized]
    \setuplayout
         [location={middle,middle}]
    \showframe
    \setuphead
         [chapter]
         [number=no,
          alternative=inmargin]
    \setuphead
         [section]
         [
          alternative=margintext,
          insidesection={\blank[-line]},
         ]
    \starttext
       \starttitle
           [title={Problem description}]
       \bgroup
       \setupwhitespace[medium]
       \startparagraph
           This demonstrates two problems with
           \type{alternative=margintext} in \tex{setuphead}:
           \startitemize[packed,n]
           \startitem
             When used with start/stop sectioning, text following the
             title may be set on the wrong line.
           \stopitem
           \startitem
             Without regard to the type of sectioning, \type{margintext}
             titles may spill over the left edge of the margin and beyond
             the page frame. (Oddly, \tex{paperwidth} is less than the
             sum of \tex{makeupwidth} and the margin widths and
             distances for both letter and A4 paper.)
           \stopitem
           \stopitemize
       \stopparagraph
       \startparagraph
           With start/stop sectioning, the text following the section
           title may begin one line below the start of the title. That
           can be remedied if there is no whitespace between paragraphs
           with \type{insidesection={\blank[-line]}}, but the remedy
           fails when there is whitespace, and increasing the correction
           has no effect. With traditional sectioning, the text appears
           baseline|-|aligned with the heading, as expected. The
           the correction has no effect in any case with traditional
           sectioning.
       \stopparagraph
       \startparagraph
           It makes no difference in any test how the paragraphs are
           delimited—blank lines, \tex{bpar}/\tex{epar},
           \tex{startparagraph}/\tex{stopparagraph}, or \tex{par}.
       \stopparagraph
       \startparagraph
           Tested with standalone beta 2017.07.17 00:20.
       \stopparagraph
       \egroup
       \page
       \startchapter
           [title={Start/stop sectioning}]
       \startsection[title={Mis\-cel\-la\-neous quo\-ta\-tions}]
       \startparagraph
           \input jojomayer
       \stopparagraph
       \startparagraph
           \input carrol \wordright{No indent no whitespace.}
       \stopparagraph
       \stopsection
       \bgroup
       \setupwhitespace[medium]
       \startsection[title={Miscellaneous quotations}]
       \startparagraph
           \input jojomayer
       \stopparagraph
       \startparagraph
           \input carrol \wordright{No indent medium whitespace.}
       \stopparagraph
       \stopsection
       \egroup
       \bgroup
       \setupindenting[yes,small]
       \startsection[title={Miscellaneous quotations}]
       \startparagraph
           \input jojomayer
       \stopparagraph
       \startparagraph
           \input carrol \wordright{Small indent no whitespace.}
       \stopparagraph
       \stopsection
       \egroup
       \bgroup
       \setupwhitespace[medium]
       \setupindenting[yes,small]
       \startsection[title={Miscellaneous quotations}]
       \startparagraph
           \input jojomayer
       \stopparagraph
       \startparagraph
           \input carrol \wordright{Small indent medium whitespace.}
       \stopparagraph
       \stopsection
       \egroup
       \stopchapter
       \chapter{Traditional sectioning}
       \section{Mis\-cel\-la\-neous quo\-ta\-tions}
           \input jojomayer \par
           \input carrol  \wordright{No indent no whitespace.} \par
           No indent no whitespace. \par
       \bgroup
       \setupwhitespace[medium]
       \section{Miscellaneous quotations}
           \input jojomayer \par
           \input carrol \wordright{No indent medium whitespace.} \par
       \egroup
       \bgroup
       \setupindenting[yes,small]
       \section{Miscellaneous quotations}
           \input jojomayer \par
           \input carrol \wordright{Small indent no whitespace.} \par
       \egroup
       \bgroup
       \setupwhitespace[medium]
       \setupindenting[yes,small]
       \section{Miscellaneous quotations}
           \input jojomayer \par
           \input carrol \wordright{Small indent medium whitespace.} \par
       \egroup
    \showlayout
    \stoptext

--
Rik

* Re: Problems with headers using margintext alternative
@ 2017-07-29 14:52 ` Rik
From: Rik @ 2017-07-29 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Bump.

The problem persists two updates later.

In the picture below, the green line represents the edge of the page.

Does anyone else get the same result?
--
Rik

On 2017-07-23 15:48, Rik Kabel wrote:

> [...]
>           \input jojomayer \par
>           \input carrol  \wordright{No indent no whitespace.} \par
>           No indent no whitespace. \par
>       \bgroup
>       \setupwhitespace[medium]
>       \section{Miscellaneous quotations}
>           \input jojomayer \par
>           \input carrol \wordright{No indent medium whitespace.} \par
>       \egroup
>       \bgroup
>       \setupindenting[yes,small]
>       \section{Miscellaneous quotations}
>           \input jojomayer \par
>           \input carrol \wordright{Small indent no whitespace.} \par
>       \egroup
>       \bgroup
>       \setupwhitespace[medium]
>       \setupindenting[yes,small]
>       \section{Miscellaneous quotations}
>           \input jojomayer \par
>           \input carrol \wordright{Small indent medium whitespace.} \par

[-- Attachment #1.2.1: Type: text/html, Size: 9564 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #1.2.2: bkgkogcjhnahbpdd.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 7857 bytes --]

* Re: Problems with headers using margintext alternative
@ 2017-07-29 16:18   ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2017-07-29 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NTG-Context ConTeXt users

Hi,

I am not a guru, but I think that you should setup your pagesize properly. For the calculation of the paper-width margin widths are not used. The elements for calculations are the backspace and makeupwidth and the rest to sum up to the paperwidth as given in the definition of the papersize. Margins are kind of virtual. If text spills out of the margin then the backspace and the margin have to be adjusted.

e.g.
\setuplayout
    [location=middle,
     topspace=1.5cm,
     backspace=2cm,
     margin=18mm,
     width=middle]

Location=middle tells only, that the lettersized paper should placed centered onto the lettersized paper, oversized.

When I comment the line with insidesection= I get a consistent result i.e. that the text of the sections with start\stop in the text body starts one line to low compared to the traditional way of coding.
Otherwise with this insidesection={\blank[-line]}  it appears, that the text next uneven section numbers is typeset at the expected place, where text next to even section numbers is not. — This might indeed be something which Hans should look at.

Best

Will
> [...]
>>       \input jojomayer \par
>>       \input carrol  \wordright{No indent no whitespace.} \par
>>       No indent no whitespace. \par
>>   \bgroup
>>   \setupwhitespace[medium]
>>   \section{Miscellaneous quotations}
>>       \input jojomayer \par
>>       \input carrol \wordright{No indent medium whitespace.} \par
>>   \egroup
>>   \bgroup
>>   \setupindenting[yes,small]
>>   \section{Miscellaneous quotations}
>>       \input jojomayer \par
>>       \input carrol \wordright{Small indent no whitespace.} \par
>>   \egroup
>>   \bgroup
>>   \setupwhitespace[medium]
>>   \setupindenting[yes,small]
>>   \section{Miscellaneous quotations}
>>       \input jojomayer \par
>>       \input carrol \wordright{Small indent medium whitespace.} \par

* Re: Problems with heads using margintext alternative
@ 2017-07-29 17:10 ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2017-07-29 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 07/23/2017 09:48 PM, Rik Kabel wrote:
> The following example demonstrates two problems with
> alternative=margintext in \setuphead:
>
>  1. When used with start/stop sectioning, text following the title may
>     be set on the wrong line.

Hi Rik,

the issue comes with \startparagraph and sectioning commands (other
margindata are fine):

    \setuphead
        [chapter]
        [alternative=margintext]
    \starttext
    \chapter{Chapter}
    \startparagraph\input jojomayer\stopparagraph
    \blank
    \inleft{marg}\startparagraph\input jojomayer\stopparagraph
    \blank
    \inright{marg}\startparagraph\input jojomayer\stopparagraph
    \blank
    \inouter{marg}\startparagraph\input jojomayer\stopparagraph
    \ininner{marg}\startparagraph\input jojomayer\stopparagraph
    \blank
    \inmargin{marg}\startparagraph\input jojomayer\stopparagraph
    \blank
    \inother{marg}\startparagraph\input jojomayer\stopparagraph
    \stoptext

But \inmargin has no problem with margin
>  2. Without regard to the type of sectioning, margintext titles may
>     spill over the left edge of the margin and beyond the page frame.

I cannot align them either. I don’t know what we may be missing here.

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: Problems with heads using margintext alternative
@ 2017-07-29 17:34   ` Rik
From: Rik @ 2017-07-29 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Willi, Pablo, and list,

Willi,

I understand that the overprint of the margin can be managed by changing
the default layout. The left margin box displayed by \showframe using
the default layout clearly shows the margin extending past the edge of
the page.

I would think that the default layout should be usable as is, which for
this purpose means that the defined text areas are contained within the
page boundary. If the default layout is not intended to be usable, it
should be so documented. I will gladly update the wiki if this is the
case, but first I would like authoritative confirmation that this is the
case.

Indeed, the extra line before the text occurs only when inter-paragraph
whitespace is set and start/stop is used. This does indeed appear to be
something that can be repaired.

Pablo,

The \inmargin commands do suffer from the same problem; you need simply
change marg  to marg marg marg to see it. The problem is not that text
is set outside the margin. It is all set in the margin. The problem is
that the left margin is laid out over the page edge, and text set in the
part of the margin that is off the page is lost.

--
Rik

@ 2017-07-29 18:18     ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2017-07-29 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 07/29/2017 07:34 PM, Rik wrote:
> Pablo,
>
> The \inmargin commands do suffer from the same problem; you need simply
> change marg  to marg marg marg to see it.

I simply meant that both margin and paragraph start at the same page
height. This is different from \chapter.

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: Problems with heads using margintext alternative
@ 2017-07-29 18:40       ` Rik Kabel
From: Rik Kabel @ 2017-07-29 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2017-07-29 14:18, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
> On 07/29/2017 07:34 PM, Rik wrote:
>> Pablo,
>>
>> The \inmargin commands do suffer from the same problem; you need simply
>> change marg  to marg marg marg to see it.
> I simply meant that both margin and paragraph start at the same page
> height. This is different from \chapter.
>
> Pablo

Ahh, yes. That is correct.

--
Rik

* Re: Problems with heads using margintext alternative
@ 2017-07-29 21:44     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2017-07-29 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 7/29/2017 7:34 PM, Rik wrote:
> Willi, Pablo, and list,
>
> Willi,
>
> I understand that the overprint of the margin can be managed by changing
> the default layout. The left margin box displayed by \showframe using
> the default layout clearly shows the margin extending past the edge of
> the page.
>
> I would think that the default layout should be usable as is, which for
> this purpose means that the defined text areas are contained within the
> page boundary. If the default layout is not intended to be usable, it
> should be so documented. I will gladly update the wiki if this is the
> case, but first I would like authoritative confirmation that this is the
> case.

it's all on purpose (and explained several times in mail irr)

> Indeed, the extra line before the text occurs only when inter-paragraph
> whitespace is set and start/stop is used. This does indeed appear to be
> something that can be repaired.
to some extend ... i added some hack in the upcoming beta btu keep in
mind that a section head carries some information so there's always
something (invisible) there that can generate whitespace

(of course one can always jump back)

Hans

* Re: Problems with heads using margintext alternative
@ 2017-07-30  7:30       ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2017-07-30  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 07/29/2017 11:44 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 7/29/2017 7:34 PM, Rik wrote:
>> Indeed, the extra line before the text occurs only when inter-paragraph
>> whitespace is set and start/stop is used. This does indeed appear to be
>> something that can be repaired.
> to some extend ... i added some hack in the upcoming beta btu keep in
> mind that a section head carries some information so there's always
> something (invisible) there that can generate whitespace

Many thanks for this fix and the one with itlc and ligatures, Hans.

I’m afraid I’m not able to align text in margin data:

    \setuphead
        [chapter]
        [style=\tfxx,
         number=no,
         alternative=margintext,
         align=middle]
    \setupmargindata
        [inmargin]
        [style=\tfxx,
         align=middle]
    \starttext
    \chapter{Chapter}
    \input jojomayer
    \blank
    \inmargin{marginal\\data\blank}\input jojomayer
    \stoptext

Is this a bug or am I missing something?

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: Problems with heads using margintext alternative
@ 2017-07-30 13:38         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2017-07-30 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 7/30/2017 9:30 AM, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
> On 07/29/2017 11:44 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> On 7/29/2017 7:34 PM, Rik wrote:
>>> Indeed, the extra line before the text occurs only when inter-paragraph
>>> whitespace is set and start/stop is used. This does indeed appear to be
>>> something that can be repaired.
>> to some extend ... i added some hack in the upcoming beta btu keep in
>> mind that a section head carries some information so there's always
>> something (invisible) there that can generate whitespace
>
> Many thanks for this fix and the one with itlc and ligatures, Hans.
>
> I’m afraid I’m not able to align text in margin data:
>
>      \setuphead
>          [chapter]
>          [style=\tfxx,
>           number=no,
>           alternative=margintext,
>           align=middle]
>      \setupmargindata
>          [inmargin]
>          [style=\tfxx,
>           align=middle]
>      \starttext
>      \chapter{Chapter}
>      \input jojomayer
>      \blank
>      \inmargin{marginal\\data\blank}\input jojomayer
>      \stoptext
>
> Is this a bug or am I missing something?
\setuplayout
   [backspace=4cm,
    margin=3cm,
    margindistance=5mm,
    width=middle]

\showframe

\setuphead
     [chapter]
     [style=\tfxx,
      number=no,
      alternative=margintext,
      align=middle]

\setupmargindata
     [inmargin]
     [width=3cm,
      style=\tfxx,
      margin=normal, % makes distance work
      distance=1cm]

\setupmarginframed
     [inmargin]
     [width=2cm,
      frame=on,
      align=middle]

\starttext
     \chapter{Chapter}
     \input jojomayer
     \blank
     \inmargin{marginal\\data\blank}\input jojomayer

     \inleft{L}test
     \inright{R}test

     \definemargindata[Xinleft] [width=3cm,location=left, align=flushleft]
     \definemargindata[Xinright][width=3cm,location=right,align=flushright]

     \Xinleft {L}test
     \Xinright{R}test

\stoptext