* Which version of MkIV should we use?
@ 2020-10-25 23:09 Rik Kabel
From: Rik Kabel @ 2020-10-25 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello all,

I have noticed some differences between the MkIV installed as part of
LMTX and the MkIV installed via first-setup.

Which should be used going forward when one wants to use MkIV?

(One difference: \contextkind is defined in file context.mkiv installed
via first-setup. It is not defined in the file of the same name
installed as part of LMTX. Another, more significant difference, is

Rik

* Re: Which version of MkIV should we use?
@ 2020-10-26  8:37 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2020-10-26  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10/26/2020 12:09 AM, Rik Kabel wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have noticed some differences between the MkIV installed as part of
> LMTX and the MkIV installed via first-setup.
>
> Which should be used going forward when one wants to use MkIV?
>
> (One difference: \contextkind is defined in file context.mkiv installed
> via first-setup. It is not defined in the file of the same name
> installed as part of LMTX. Another, more significant difference, is

mkiv works with luatex, lmtx needs luametatex

currently the functionality is mostly the same but further development
happens in lmtx

so, if mkiv works for you, just keep using it .. you can try your
document with lmtx and normally that should work ok

there is a distinction between

- core functionality (seldom changes)
- tricky things (migh tbe done better in lmtx)
- more radical new things hard to do in regular tex (will be in lmtx only)

the luametatex engine is more advanced than luatex (which we cannot
change any more in fundamental ways as it's also used outside context)
but with luametatex we can do (maybe) crazy things; the luametatex
enfine has all kind of improvements in the rendening, adds functionality
that makes implementations somewhat cleaner, is faster and uses less
memory, redesigns/organizes some internals (e.g. get rid of the
sometimes fuzzy accumulated engine mix), adds more interfaces in lua, is
self contained, etc ... see presentation(s) last ctx meeting.

currently i'm applying some of the more drastic new thing: more advance
macro argument parsing options, several levels of (macro) protection,
etc which actually might lead to issues (simple to deal with as most are
interface related, not functionality)

so ... you can use mkiv and/or snapshot the current lmtx and/or try the
latest greatest when it showsup

Hans

* Re: Which version of MkIV should we use?
@ 2020-10-26 12:05   ` Rik Kabel
From: Rik Kabel @ 2020-10-26 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)