* question about German hyphenation
@ 2018-08-26 15:26 Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2018-08-26 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear list,

I have the following sample:

    \starttext
    \de\hyphenatedword{Rindfleisch}
    \de\hyphenatedword{Rindfleischetikettierung}
    \stoptext

I’m not a native speaker, but I think that "Rindfleisch-etikettierung"
is right in German. (And I think that "Rindflei-schetikettierung" is wrong.)

Are the hyphenation patterns wrong in the cases above, or am I missing
something?

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: question about German hyphenation
@ 2018-08-26 19:36 ` Ulrike Fischer
From: Ulrike Fischer @ 2018-08-26 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am Sun, 26 Aug 2018 17:26:45 +0200 schrieb Pablo Rodriguez:

> Dear list,
>
> I have the following sample:
>
>     \starttext
>     \de\hyphenatedword{Rindfleisch}
>     \de\hyphenatedword{Rindfleischetikettierung}
>     \stoptext
>
> I’m not a native speaker, but I think that "Rindfleisch-etikettierung"
> is right in German. (And I think that "Rindflei-schetikettierung" is wrong.)

Yes it is wrong. Correct hyphenation points are

Rind-fleisch-e-ti-ket-tie-rung

> Are the hyphenation patterns wrong in the cases above, or am I missing
> something?

That's difficult to do right with patterns, in latex it is isn't
correct either. The problem is that two words have been combined.
(Rindfleisch and Etikettierung).

--
Ulrike Fischer
https://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/

* Re: question about German hyphenation
@ 2018-08-28 15:32   ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2018-08-28 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 08/26/2018 09:36 PM, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
> Am Sun, 26 Aug 2018 17:26:45 +0200 schrieb Pablo Rodriguez:
>> [...]
>> I’m not a native speaker, but I think that "Rindfleisch-etikettierung"
>> is right in German. (And I think that "Rindflei-schetikettierung" is wrong.)
>>
> Yes it is wrong. Correct hyphenation points are
>
> Rind-fleisch-e-ti-ket-tie-rung

Many thanks for your reply, Ulrike.

>> Are the hyphenation patterns wrong in the cases above, or am I missing
>> something?
>
> That's difficult to do right with patterns, in latex it is isn't
> correct either. The problem is that two words have been combined.
> (Rindfleisch and Etikettierung).

I understand that this is an extreme example, so I’m going to add a new
hyphenation pattern to my presentation and forget about it.

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk