* CSS selector for elements strictly preceded by other elements
@ 2018-08-02  8:20 MF
From: MF @ 2018-08-02  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello list,
please consider these XML snippets:

<e/>some text<f/>

<e/><f/>

now apply these CSS selectors to them:

e ~ f matches all

e + f matches the first and the third

There's no CSS selector to match ONLY the third.

But i have a use case for that: sometimes i have endnote markers that
immediately follow footnote markers.
Since -- in my layout -- footnotes have letter markers and endnotes
numbers, it results in something like "c30" in superscript.
It would be nice putting a comma between them ("c,30") or a thin space,
but the "e + f" selector does not discriminate between:

blah blah<footnote-ref idref="c"/><endnote-ref idref="30"/>

and

blah blah<footnote-ref idref="d"/> some other text <endnote-ref
idref="31"/>

it would match both, but it's only the first one that i want to catch.

I'd suggest a non-standard "e ++ f" operator.
Would you prefer a lpath expression (which one)?

Greetings,
Massi

* Re: CSS selector for elements strictly preceded by other elements
@ 2018-08-02 17:52 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2018-08-02 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 8/2/2018 10:20 AM, MF wrote:
> Hello list,
> please consider these XML snippets:
>
> <e/>some text<f/>

> <e/><f/>
>
> now apply these CSS selectors to them:
>
> e ~ f matches all
>
> e + f matches the first and the third
>
> There's no CSS selector to match ONLY the third.
>
> But i have a use case for that: sometimes i have endnote markers that
> immediately follow footnote markers.
> Since -- in my layout -- footnotes have letter markers and endnotes
> numbers, it results in something like "c30" in superscript.
> It would be nice putting a comma between them ("c,30") or a thin space,
> but the "e + f" selector does not discriminate between:
>
> blah blah<footnote-ref idref="c"/><endnote-ref idref="30"/>
>
> and
>
> blah blah<footnote-ref idref="d"/> some other text <endnote-ref
> idref="31"/>
>
> it would match both, but it's only the first one that i want to catch.
>
> I'd suggest a non-standard "e ++ f" operator.
> Would you prefer a lpath expression (which one)?
make a (real) minimal example and we'll see what can be done

Hans

* Re: CSS selector for elements strictly preceded by other elements
@ 2018-08-03 14:31   ` MF
From: MF @ 2018-08-03 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

> make a (real) minimal example and we'll see what can be done

Here it is:

\startbuffer[test]
  following a footnote (no other XML nodes between them)</endnote>
  a footnote marker and an endnote marker are at the same point in the text;
  in the XML source, their elements are contiguous, with nothing in between.
  The CSS selector <code>footnote + endnote</code> works right, and the setup
  associated to that selector puts a comma between their markers to
  separate them in the typesetting.</p>

  same point in the text<endnote>endnote comes after footnote: there's some
  text between them, but no XML elements</endnote>;
  for the CSS selector <code>footnote + endnote</code> it's the same case of the previous paragraph,
  because there's no other XML element between the <code>footnote</code> and the
  <code>endnote</code> elements: that's why you still see a comma before
  the endnote's marker, but this time it's not what I want.</p>

  same point in the text, and the CSS selector <code>footnote + endnote</code>
  does not match<endnote>endnote comes after footnote, but there are 3 nodes

\stopbuffer

\setupnotation[footnote][numberconversion=a]
\setupwhitespace[line]

\startxmlsetups xml:notesetups
  \xmlsetsetup{#1}{body|p|footnote|code}{xml:*}
  \xmlsetsetup{#1}{{endnote}}{xml:endnote}
  \xmlsetsetup{#1}{{footnote + endnote}}{xml:endnote-after-footnote}
\stopxmlsetups

\xmlregistersetup{xml:notesetups}

\startxmlsetups xml:body
  \xmlflush{#1}
\stopxmlsetups

\startxmlsetups xml:p
  \xmlflush{#1}\par
\stopxmlsetups

\startxmlsetups xml:footnote
  \footnote{\xmlflush{#1}}
\stopxmlsetups

\startxmlsetups xml:code
  {\tt\xmlflush{#1}}
\stopxmlsetups

\startxmlsetups xml:endnote
  \endnote{\xmlflush{#1}}
\stopxmlsetups

\startxmlsetups xml:endnote-after-footnote
  \high{,}\endnote{\xmlflush{#1}}
\stopxmlsetups

\starttext
  \xmlprocessbuffer{main}{test}{}
  \page
  \placenotes[endnote]
\stoptext

* Re: CSS selector for elements strictly preceded by other elements
@ 2018-08-04 10:10     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2018-08-04 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 8/3/2018 4:31 PM, MF wrote:

>> make a (real) minimal example and we'll see what can be done
>>

> Here it is:
>
> \startbuffer[test]
>    following a footnote (no other XML nodes between them)</endnote>
>    a footnote marker and an endnote marker are at the same point in the text;
>    in the XML source, their elements are contiguous, with nothing in between.
>    The CSS selector <code>footnote + endnote</code> works right, and the setup
>    associated to that selector puts a comma between their markers to
>    separate them in the typesetting.</p>

>    same point in the text<endnote>endnote comes after footnote: there's some
>    text between them, but no XML elements</endnote>;
>    for the CSS selector <code>footnote + endnote</code> it's the same case of the previous paragraph,
>    because there's no other XML element between the <code>footnote</code> and the
>    <code>endnote</code> elements: that's why you still see a comma before
>    the endnote's marker, but this time it's not what I want.</p>

>    same point in the text, and the CSS selector <code>footnote + endnote</code>
>    does not match<endnote>endnote comes after footnote, but there are 3 nodes

> \stopbuffer
>
> \setupnotation[footnote][numberconversion=a]
> \setupwhitespace[line]
>
> \startxmlsetups xml:notesetups
>    \xmlsetsetup{#1}{body|p|footnote|code}{xml:*}
>    \xmlsetsetup{#1}{{endnote}}{xml:endnote}
>    \xmlsetsetup{#1}{{footnote + endnote}}{xml:endnote-after-footnote}
> \stopxmlsetups
>
> \xmlregistersetup{xml:notesetups}
>
> \startxmlsetups xml:body
>    \xmlflush{#1}
> \stopxmlsetups
>
> \startxmlsetups xml:p
>    \xmlflush{#1}\par
> \stopxmlsetups
>
> \startxmlsetups xml:footnote
>    \footnote{\xmlflush{#1}}
> \stopxmlsetups
>
> \startxmlsetups xml:code
>    {\tt\xmlflush{#1}}
> \stopxmlsetups
>
> \startxmlsetups xml:endnote
>    \endnote{\xmlflush{#1}}
> \stopxmlsetups
>
> \startxmlsetups xml:endnote-after-footnote
>    \high{,}\endnote{\xmlflush{#1}}
> \stopxmlsetups
>
> \starttext
>    \xmlprocessbuffer{main}{test}{}
>    \page
>    \placenotes[endnote]
> \stoptext

The obvious ...

\setupnotes[textseparator={, }]

\startxmlsetups xml:notesetups
     \xmlsetsetup{#1}{body|p|footnote|endnote|code}{xml:*}