I think I have things working with texlive. I will reproduce the installation to make sure I capture all steps. It basically comes down to: 1) Install texlive 2004 to /usr/local/TeX 2) (possibly optional) Compile new pdftex, pdfetex and pdfxtex and replace executable and pool files in /usr/local/TeX/bin/i386-linux/ and /usr/local/TeX/texmf-local/web2c/ respectively. 3) Install beta cont-tmf.zip into /usr/local/TeX/texmf-context 4) Edit /usr/local/TeX/texmf-local/web2c/texmf.cnf to include the following modifications from the copy in /usr/local/TeX/texmf/web2c: TEXMFCONTEXT=$SELFAUTOPARENT/texmf-context TEXMF={$HOMETEXMF,!!$VARTEXMF,$TEXMFLOCAL,!!$TEXMFCONTEXT,!!$TEXMFMAIN,!!$TEXMFDIST} 5) wget http://www.pragma-ade.com/context/install/linuxtex.zip Unzip the file into a temporary directory and cd to tex/texmf-linux/bin. Copy only the small stub scripts (all less than 50 bytes) to /usr/local/TeX/bin/i386-linux overwriting similarly named executables. Copy texmfstart to the same place, again overwriting the existing executable. Delete the rest of the temporary linuxtex installation. 6) Update /usr/local/TeX/texmf-context/scripts/context/perl/texexec.pl with the attached patch. 7) Download the latest lm fonts from CTAN and install them in the correct folders in texmf-context. 8) Run updmap. 9) Run texexec --make --all I'm sure I have forgotten some crucial step. Corrections and simplifications are welcome. On 5/9/05, Taco Hoekwater wrote: > bb wrote: > > > > Reading my own words I see how they don't exactly convey warm > > appreciation for all the hard work that has been put into context. > > That's ok, i have written stuff in the not so distant past that > was much, much less appreciative. :-) > > > below. Since texlive 2005 is in the process of being worked out, > > perhaps a better use of time would be to ensure that a fully > > functional, up-to-date (and upgradable!) context gets included. > > It wouldn't stay up-to-date for the whole year, only for the first > six months or so. But you are right that the current (texlive2004) > situation is particularly messy, and an effort should be made to > make sure that the next texlive starts off with a more stable > situation. > > Taco > >