On Aug 15, 2023, 8:56 AM -0600, Hans Hagen , wrote: > afaik mkiv always had modern as default an dnot the designsize > typescript (after all, we only have math 10pt) From font-pre.mkiv: %D By default we load the Computer Modern Roman fonts (but %D not yet at this moment) and activate the 12pt roman %D bodyfont. -) > well, in type-imp-latinmodern.mkiv i can find 'designsize' ... you're > not relying on some gpt driven search machine are you? No just the search files feature in Notepad++ -) Ok, looking at type-imp-latinmodern.mkiv, under latin-modern-designsize, I see references to design weights and styles but not to optical sizes. So no lmroman5-regular, lmroman6-regular... lmroman17-regular. There is only reference to lmroman10, which is why my initial search came up with no results. Ah, the abstraction happens here I think: \definetypeface [\typescriptone] [\s!rm] [\s!serif] [latin-modern-designsize] [\s!default] [\s!designsize=\s!auto] so [\s!designsize=\s!auto] means there is no explicit call to lmroman8-regular etc.? Interesting.. Ok, let's try it: ======= \setupbodyfont[modern-designsize] \startTEXpage[offset=1em] Test {\tfa Test} {\tfb Test} {\tfc Test} {\tfd Test} {\tfx Test} {\tfxx Test} \stopTEXpage ======= Now we get ======= mkiv lua stats > loaded fonts: 4 files: latinmodern-math.otf, lmroman10-regular.otf, lmroman12-regular.otf, lmroman8-regular.otf ======= So three optical sizes are implemented. But there should be more, e.g., \tfd should use lmroman17-regular etc. >>> (likely we will go for \enableexperiments[fonts.compact] anyway which is >>> also more efficient) >>Ok, that would be very helpful; many thanks. > it might process your arabic a bit faster Ah, great. Am looking forward to learning how to \enableexperiments[fonts.compact] etc. once it's implemented. Best wishes Idris -- Professor Idris Samawi Hamid Department of Philosophy Colorado State University Fort Collins, CO 80523