* possible problem with MPinstance or MPinclusions? works in 20200920 but not in the current 20210124 ...
@ 2021-01-26 12:19 Rudd, Kevin
From: Rudd, Kevin @ 2021-01-26 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi---

I have a number of included figures that work in 20200920 but not in the current 20210124 version. There's a project structure that sets everything up but after that they are input as a figure:

            \startplacefigure[title={NS Hierarchy},
                              reference={f:ns-hierarchy}]
                \input ns_hierarchy
            \stopplacefigure

and generate the error:

metafun         > log > error: Not implemented: (unknown numeric)=(string)
metafun         > log >
metapost        > log >
metapost        > log > <to be read again>
metapost        > log >                    ,
metapost        > log > <*>  make_BoxRow [ name = "Parent",
metafun         > log >
metafun         > log > I'm afraid I don't know how to apply that operation to that combination of types.
Continue, and I'll return the second argument (see above) as the result of theoperation.
metafun         > log >
metapost        > log >                                     label = "Parent Root Namespace", ]; ;

From triaging, it looks like the "boxrow.mp" file isn't being input by the current version from within the MPinclusions block associated with the MPinstance; the error appears to be spurious as a result of make_BoxRow not being defined and doesn't occur in the old version where the file is input. "boxrow.mp" is not in the same directory as the document but is in the configured through the usepath/usesubpath interface from an environment file.

I can put together and share a runnable MWE set of files if this information is not complete enough to identify the problem.

Here is the MWE that I used for the input figure file that demonstrates the problem.

\defineMPinstance[ns_hier]
[
    format=metafun,
    extensions=yes,
    initializations=yes,
    method=double,
]

\startMPinclusions{ns_hier}
    input boxrow
\stopMPinclusions

\startMPdefinitions{ns_hier}
    % nothing to see here....
\stopMPdefinitions

\startMPcode{ns_hier}

    make_BoxRow
    [
        name           = "Parent",
        label          = "Parent Root Namespace",
    ];

\stopMPcode

Thanks for any feedback,
 ---K

Kevin W. Rudd, Ph.D.
CAPT, USN (Ret)

Computer Architecture & Computer Engineering
Advanced Computing Systems (ACS) Research Program
Laboratory for Physical Sciences (LPS)

443-654-7878
kevin@lps.umd.edu<mailto:kevin@lps.umd.edu>

Visiting Research Professor
United States Naval Academy

rudd@usna.edu<mailto:rudd@usna.edu>

* Re: possible problem with MPinstance or MPinclusions? works in 20200920 but not in the current 20210124 ...
@ 2021-01-26 17:00 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2021-01-26 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 1/26/2021 1:19 PM, Rudd, Kevin wrote:
> Hi---
>
> I have a number of included figures that work in 20200920 but not in the
> current 20210124 version. There's a project structure that sets
> everything up but after that they are input as a figure:
>
>              \startplacefigure[title={NS Hierarchy},
>                                reference={f:ns-hierarchy}]
>                  \input ns_hierarchy
>              \stopplacefigure
>
> and generate the error:
>
> metafun         > log > error: Not implemented: (unknown numeric)=(string)
> metafun         > log >
> metapost        > log >
> metapost        > log > <to be read again>
> metapost        > log >                    ,
> metapost        > log > <*>  make_BoxRow [ name = "Parent",
> metafun         > log >
> metafun         > log > I'm afraid I don't know how to apply that
> operation to that combination of types.
> Continue, and I'll return the second argument (see above) as the result
> of theoperation.
> metafun         > log >
> metapost        > log >                                     label =
> "Parent Root Namespace", ]; ;
>
>  From triaging, it looks like the "boxrow.mp" file isn't being input by
> the current version from within the MPinclusions block associated with
> the MPinstance; the error appears to be spurious as a result of
> make_BoxRow not being defined and doesn't occur in the old version where
> the file is input. "boxrow.mp" is not in the same directory as the
> document but is in the configured through the usepath/usesubpath
> interface from an environment file.
>
> I can put together and share a runnable MWE set of files if this
> information is not complete enough to identify the problem.
>
> Here is the MWE that I used for the input figure file that demonstrates
> the problem.
>
> \defineMPinstance[ns_hier]
> [
>      format=metafun,
>      extensions=yes,
>      initializations=yes,
>      method=double,
> ]
>
> \startMPinclusions{ns_hier}
>      input boxrow
> \stopMPinclusions
>
> \startMPdefinitions{ns_hier}
>      % nothing to see here....
> \stopMPdefinitions
>
> \startMPcode{ns_hier}
>
>      make_BoxRow
>      [
>          name           = "Parent",
>          label          = "Parent Root Namespace",
>      ];
>
> \stopMPcode
What if you put it in your tree? Someplace under

texmf-local/metapost/...

(run mtxrun --generate afterdpimng that)

Hans

* Re: possible problem with MPinstance or MPinclusions? works in 20200920 but not in the current 20210124 ...
@ 2021-01-26 17:32   ` Rudd, Kevin
From: Rudd, Kevin @ 2021-01-26 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

hi, Hans---

putting boxrow.mp in the lmtx tree and running "mtxrun --generate"  worked, so it appears that my old path settings in the environment file isn't working any more. and i'd rather not mangle the distribution tree as that's out-of-sight/out-of-mind and likely to get replaced sometime after i've forgotten that i mangled it....

  - does that mean that the usepath/usesubpath feature or environment scoping is now different?
    => if so, where do i find the new rules/syntax so i can regenerate my path code/environment file?
    => is there a hook to generate/append the file paths dynamically using a lua script in the top-level setup file (seems easier than the manual csh script=>environment file that i'm using now....)

  - is it possible to configure lmtx to add my local tree to the search path? i seem to recall it was possible when i was fiddling with kpse many many years ago.
    => if so, where do i find the info to set that up in my *shrc files?

thanks,

On Jan 26, 2021, at 12:00, Hans Hagen <j.hagen@xs4all.nl<mailto:j.hagen@xs4all.nl>> wrote:

[...]
From triaging, it looks like the "boxrow.mp" file isn't being input by the current version from within the MPinclusions block associated with the MPinstance; the error appears to be spurious as a result of make_BoxRow not being defined and doesn't occur in the old version where the file is input. "boxrow.mp" is not in the same directory as the document but is in the configured through the usepath/usesubpath interface from an environment file.
[...]

                                         Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
      tel: 038 477 53 69 | www.pragma-ade.nl<http://www.pragma-ade.nl> | www.pragma-pod.nl<http://www.pragma-pod.nl>

* Re: possible problem with MPinstance or MPinclusions? works in 20200920 but not in the current 20210124 ...
@ 2021-01-26 17:53     ` Rudd, Kevin
From: Rudd, Kevin @ 2021-01-26 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

argh. the problem with multiple versions of lmtx....

  - running mtxrun --generate then mtxrun --find finds the file
  - running context with the document doesn't find the file and gives the same error
    . but i haven't changed my environment usepath/usesubpath file

so:

    20200920: mtxrun --generate .. mtxrun --find boxrow.mp works; context <document> works w/ or w/o putting the file in .../lmtx/tex/texmf-local/metapost
    20210124: mtxrun --generate .. mtxrun --find boxrow.mp works; context <document> doesn't work w/ or w/o putting the file in .../lmtx/tex/texmf-local/metapost

On Jan 26, 2021, at 12:32, Rudd, Kevin <kevin@lps.umd.edu<mailto:kevin@lps.umd.edu>> wrote:

[...]

From triaging, it looks like the "boxrow.mp" file isn't being input by the current version from within the MPinclusions block associated with the MPinstance; the error appears to be spurious as a result of make_BoxRow not being defined and doesn't occur in the old version where the file is input. "boxrow.mp" is not in the same directory as the document but is in the configured through the usepath/usesubpath interface from an environment file.

@ 2021-01-26 20:41       ` Hans Hagen
       [not found]         ` <713BC966-4943-4402-9E0A-62E04AC4BFA6@lps.umd.edu>
From: Hans Hagen @ 2021-01-26 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 1/26/2021 6:53 PM, Rudd, Kevin wrote:
> argh. the problem with multiple versions of lmtx....
>
>    - running mtxrun --generate then mtxrun --find finds the file
>    - running context with the document doesn't find the file and gives
> the same error
>      . but i haven't changed my environment usepath/usesubpath file
>
> so:
>
>      20200920: mtxrun --generate .. mtxrun --find boxrow.mp works;
> context <document> works w/ or w/o putting the file in
> .../lmtx/tex/texmf-local/metapost
>      20210124: mtxrun --generate .. mtxrun --find boxrow.mp works;
> context <document> doesn't work w/ or w/o putting the file in
> .../lmtx/tex/texmf-local/metapost
This seems to work ok here, if not, can you see what the trackers report?

=== oeps.tex ===

\starttext

\usepath[mptest]

% \enabletrackers[resolvers*]

\startMPpage
%     readfile(runscript("mp.string(resolvers.find_file('oeps.mp'))")) ;
%     readfile(runscript("mp.string(resolvers.find_file('oeps1.mp'))")) ;
%     readfile("oeps.mp") ;
%     readfile("mptest/oeps1.mp") ;
%     readfile("oeps1.mp") ;
     input "oeps1.mp" ;
\stopMPpage

\stoptext

=== oeps.mp ===

fill fullcircle scaled 4cm ;

=== mptest/oeps.mp ===

fill fullsquare scaled 2cm withcolor red ;

Hans

@ 2021-01-28 11:18           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2021-01-28 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 1/27/2021 3:08 PM, Rudd, Kevin wrote:
> thanks, Hans---
>
> with the only change being the lmtx release, I get:
>
>     in 2020.09.20:
>
>     resolvers       > tex > 'file' closer:
>     '/local/Software/lmtx/tex/texmf-context/metapost/context/base/mpiv/metafun.mpxl'
>     closed
>     metapost        > log >
>     resolvers       > methods > resolving, method 'finders', how 'uri',
>     handler 'file', argument 'boxrow.mp'
>
>     in 2021.01.24:
>
>     resolvers       > tex > 'file' closer:
>     '/local/Software/lmtx/tex/texmf-context/metapost/context/base/mpxl/metafun.mpxl'
>     closed
>     metafun         > log >
>     metafun         > log > error: Not implemented: (unknown
>     numeric)=(string)
>
> thus the MPincludes block doesn't seem to be processed in the latest
> release so the option block doesn't get grokked properly. the log files
> are attached with all of the gory details; if they don't make it, I can
> send separately.
but how does the tex/.mp file look ... in the log you can see that there
is no attempt to read boxrow.mp at all