* getnonfreefonts with LMTX
@ 2021-03-14 13:18 Philipp A.
From: Philipp A. @ 2021-03-14 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

The LMTX distribution comes with few binaries, texlua being none of them.

The getnonfreefonts <https://www.tug.org/fonts/getnonfreefonts/> script
seems simple enough, but it relies on a global “kpse” which it uses to get
kpse variables. Therefore luametatex --luaonly can’t execute it.

Is there a way to get those fonts with the standalone LMTX distribution?

Best, Phil

* Re: getnonfreefonts with LMTX
@ 2021-03-14 14:18 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2021-03-14 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 3/14/2021 2:18 PM, Philipp A. wrote:
> Hi!
>
> The LMTX distribution comes with few binaries, texlua being none of them.
>
> The getnonfreefonts <https://www.tug.org/fonts/getnonfreefonts/> script
> seems simple enough, but it relies on a global “kpse” which it uses to
> get kpse variables. Therefore luametatex --luaonly can’t execute it.

I suppose we can make it work (because lmtx can call out to kpse if
needed) but it's not worth the trouble because afaiks it depends on
perl, does all kind of map things, probably donwloads more than one
needs and I actually prefer to be explicit when it comes to fonts.

> Is there a way to get those fonts with the standalone LMTX distribution?
(1) make a tree:

tex/texmf-fonts/fonts/data/nonfree

(2) download the fonts you want (only opentype I guess) and put them there

(3) mtxrun --generate
(4) mtxrun --script font --reload

The texmf-fonts tree is never overwritten and there is no need to figure
out paths (just use ..../data/vendor). We're not talking of many fonts.

Hans