* defineenumeration does not work with MKIV. Works with MKII
@ 2010-01-04 22:36 Curiouslearn
From: Curiouslearn @ 2010-01-04 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Minimal example

\setuppapersize[letter][letter]

\starttext
\defineenumeration[problem][text= ,location=inleft]
\setupenumerations[problem][stopper=)]

\problem
problem 1

\problem
problem 2

\stoptext

In MKIV there are numbers do not appear.

Thanks.

* \setupenumeration(s) was: defineenumeration does not work with MKIV
@ 2010-01-04 22:50 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-01-04 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sorry to hijack your post and since we're already there, why are \setupenumerations
and \setupdescriptions written in the plural form.

> \setupenumerations[problem][stopper=)]

When I would follow the system from other setup commands in context
i expect as correct names \setupenumeration and \setupdescription.

Wolfgang

* Re: defineenumeration does not work with MKIV. Works with MKII
@ 2010-01-05  4:03 ` Vladimir Lomov
From: Vladimir Lomov @ 2010-01-05  4:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi.

I'm newbie with ConTeXt but have experience with LaTeX.

2010/1/5 Curiouslearn <curiouslearn@gmail.com>:
> Minimal example
>
> \setuppapersize[letter][letter]
>
> \starttext
> \defineenumeration[problem][text= ,location=inleft]
> \setupenumerations[problem][stopper=)]
>
> \problem
> problem 1
>

> \problem
> problem 2
>
> \stoptext
>
> In MKIV there are numbers do not appear.
>
> Thanks.
This is because of your settings. Try change location. In order to
understand what's wrong with your settings see output for this example
(I tried with context minimals):

\setuppapersize[A5][A4]

\setuplayout[location=middle]
\starttext
\defineenumeration[problem][text= ,location=inleft]
\setupenumerations[problem][stopper=)]

\problem
problem 1

\problem
problem 2

\stoptext

In okular (or Adobe Reader) you see that enumeration numbers are out
of page and you don't see them.

* Re: \setupenumeration(s) was: defineenumeration does not work with MKIV
@ 2010-01-05  4:08   ` Vladimir Lomov
From: Vladimir Lomov @ 2010-01-05  4:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi.

2010/1/5 Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com>:
> Sorry to hijack your post and since we're already there, why are \setupenumerations
> and \setupdescriptions written in the plural form.
>
>> \setupenumerations[problem][stopper=)]
>
> When I would follow the system from other setup commands in context
> i expect as correct names \setupenumeration and \setupdescription.

If I understand context manual correctly (I not checked this)
(cont-enp.pdf, pp. 181,183) I could use more than one name in
\setupenumerations (\setupdescriptions), e.g.
\setupenumerations[problem,remark][stopper=)]
so name of commands are correct (in some sense one is a limit of several :).

* Re: \setupenumeration(s) was: defineenumeration does not work with MKIV
@ 2010-01-05  8:27     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-01-05  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 05.01.2010 um 05:08 schrieb Vladimir Lomov:

> 2010/1/5 Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com>:
>> Sorry to hijack your post and since we're already there, why are \setupenumerations
>> and \setupdescriptions written in the plural form.
>>
>>> \setupenumerations[problem][stopper=)]
>>
>> When I would follow the system from other setup commands in context
>> i expect as correct names \setupenumeration and \setupdescription.
>>
> If I understand context manual correctly (I not checked this)
> (cont-enp.pdf, pp. 181,183) I could use more than one name in
> \setupenumerations (\setupdescriptions), e.g.
> \setupenumerations[problem,remark][stopper=)]
> so name of commands are correct (in some sense one is a limit of several :).

You could also use more names in \setuphead, \setupblock etc. but these
command names are singular. Changing \setupenumerations/descriptions is
no option but one can do this:

\let\setupdescription\setupdescriptions
\let\setupenumeration\setupenumerations

@ 2010-01-05 13:22   ` Curiouslearn
From: Curiouslearn @ 2010-01-05 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Vladimir, I am not sure that the settings are incorrect. Why does it
work with MKII then? Also it worked with MKIV before. It broke only
recently.

Can someone please throw light on this? Is the disapperance of the
numbers, as Vladimir suggests, expected behavior of the minimal
example in MKIV.

@ 2010-01-05 13:52     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-01-05 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 05.01.2010 um 14:22 schrieb Curiouslearn:

> Vladimir, I am not sure that the settings are incorrect. Why does it
> work with MKII then? Also it worked with MKIV before. It broke only
> recently.

Add 'headalign=flushright'.

@ 2010-01-05 13:56       ` Curiouslearn
From: Curiouslearn @ 2010-01-05 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks! That worked great.

@ 2010-01-05 13:56     ` Vladimir Lomov
From: Vladimir Lomov @ 2010-01-05 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello.
2010/1/5 Curiouslearn <curiouslearn@gmail.com>:
> Vladimir, I am not sure that the settings are incorrect. Why does it
> work with MKII then? Also it worked with MKIV before. It broke only
> recently.
Sorry, I didn't try to check texexec (MKII) also I just checked context (MKIV).

> Can someone please throw light on this? Is the disapperance of the
> numbers, as Vladimir suggests, expected behavior of the minimal
> example in MKIV.
I also notice the difference between resulted pdf files produced by
MKII and MKIV: MKIV gives labels _below_ line respect to item entry
but MKII gives labels on the same line as item entry (also MKIV moves
labels much more to left edge).
This is what I figured out, sorry I too novice with ConTeXt and can't
give more information on topic.

2010/1/5 Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com>:

> Am 05.01.2010 um 14:22 schrieb Curiouslearn:
>
>> Vladimir, I am not sure that the settings are incorrect. Why does it
>> work with MKII then? Also it worked with MKIV before. It broke only
>> recently.
>
> Add 'headalign=flushright'.

Hm, this gives more unpleasant result for MKIV format but reveals the
problem of "disappearing" :)

---
WBR, Vladimir Lomov

* Re: defineenumeration does not work with MKIV. Works with MKII
@ 2010-01-05 14:14       ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-01-05 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 05.01.2010 um 14:56 schrieb Vladimir Lomov:

>>> Vladimir, I am not sure that the settings are incorrect. Why does it
>>> work with MKII then? Also it worked with MKIV before. It broke only
>>> recently.
>>
>> Add 'headalign=flushright'.
>>
> Hm, this gives more unpleasant result for MKIV format but reveals the
> problem of "disappearing" :)

It's side effect of the new 'headalign' key, you can correct by setting
the correct width for the number box.

\defineenumeration
  [problem]
  [text=,
   location=inleft,
   headalign=flushright,
   stopper=),
   width=\leftmarginwidth]

@ 2010-01-05 14:22         ` Vladimir Lomov
From: Vladimir Lomov @ 2010-01-05 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi.

>>> Add 'headalign=flushright'.
>>>
>> Hm, this gives more unpleasant result for MKIV format but reveals the
>> problem of "disappearing" :)
>

> It's side effect of the new 'headalign' key, you can correct by setting
> the correct width for the number box.
>
> \defineenumeration
>  [problem]
>  [text=,
>   location=inleft,
>   headalign=flushright,
>   stopper=),
>   width=\leftmarginwidth]

Yes, this works like a charm (checked in both TL2009 and
context-minimals for MKII and MKIV formats).

---
WBR, Vladimir Lomov