* change width of a character with fonts.handlers.otf.addfeature
@ 2017-05-19  7:34 Ulrike Fischer
From: Ulrike Fischer @ 2017-05-19  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

In extensions-001.tex
(http://minimals.metatex.org/current/context/test/doc/context/tests/mkiv/fonts/extensions-001.tex)
there is an example how to add or change the kern between two chars:

    fonts.handlers.otf.addfeature {
        name = "ktest",
        type = "kern",
        data = {
            a = { b = -500 },
        }
    }

Can this be used to implement also a "Single adjustment positioning"
which would effectivly change the width of character?

(http://www.adobe.com/devnet/opentype/afdko/topic_feature_file_syntax.html#6.a)

(I tried a few probable variants but got either errors or no effect
at all).

--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/

* Re: change width of a character with fonts.handlers.otf.addfeature
@ 2017-05-19  9:05 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2017-05-19  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 5/19/2017 9:34 AM, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
> In extensions-001.tex
> (http://minimals.metatex.org/current/context/test/doc/context/tests/mkiv/fonts/extensions-001.tex)
> there is an example how to add or change the kern between two chars:
>

>     fonts.handlers.otf.addfeature {
>         name = "ktest",
>         type = "kern",
>         data = {
>             a = { b = -500 },
>         }
>     }
>

> Can this be used to implement also a "Single adjustment positioning"
> which would effectivly change the width of character?
>
> (http://www.adobe.com/devnet/opentype/afdko/topic_feature_file_syntax.html#6.a)
>
> (I tried a few probable variants but got either errors or no effect
> at all).

I'll add support for 'single' to user features:

\startluacode
     fonts.handlers.otf.addfeature {
         name = "stest",
         type = "single",
         data = {
             a = { -30, 0, -50, 0 },
         }
     }
\stopluacode

\definefontfeature[whatever][default][stest=yes]

\starttext

     \definedfont[Serif*whatever] \vl a\vl

\stoptext

* Re: change width of a character with fonts.handlers.otf.addfeature
@ 2017-05-19  9:25   ` Ulrike Fischer
From: Ulrike Fischer @ 2017-05-19  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am Fri, 19 May 2017 11:05:58 +0200 schrieb Hans Hagen:

> I'll add support for 'single' to user features:
>
> \startluacode
>      fonts.handlers.otf.addfeature {
>          name = "stest",
>          type = "single",
>          data = {
>              a = { -30, 0, -50, 0 },
>          }
>      }
> \stopluacode

Thanks. Let's hope that luaotfload catch up and gets it too.

Did you saw the error message caused by the ccmp-feature
(https://github.com/lualatex/luaotfload/issues/412)? Does it affect
context too or has it been resolved in its fontloader?

--

@ 2017-05-19 12:11     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2017-05-19 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 5/19/2017 11:25 AM, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
> Am Fri, 19 May 2017 11:05:58 +0200 schrieb Hans Hagen:
>

>> I'll add support for 'single' to user features:
>>
>> \startluacode
>>      fonts.handlers.otf.addfeature {
>>          name = "stest",
>>          type = "single",
>>          data = {
>>              a = { -30, 0, -50, 0 },
>>          }
>>      }
>> \stopluacode
>
> Thanks. Let's hope that luaotfload catch up and gets it too.

i suppose that it does catch up (not sure about the frequency, also
because after the current we now enter beta again)

> Did you saw the error message caused by the ccmp-feature
> (https://github.com/lualatex/luaotfload/issues/412)? Does it affect

i don't follow all those lists

> context too or has it been resolved in its fontloader?

i don't know ... i need a pure context example in order to check, maybe
some discretionary thing

Hans

* Re: change width of a character with fonts.handlers.otf.addfeature
@ 2017-05-19 15:29       ` Ulrike Fischer
From: Ulrike Fischer @ 2017-05-19 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am Fri, 19 May 2017 14:11:42 +0200 schrieb Hans Hagen:

>> Thanks. Let's hope that luaotfload catch up and gets it too.

> i suppose that it does catch up (not sure about the frequency, also
> because after the current we now enter beta again)

Currently it lags a bit behind.

>> Did you saw the error message caused by the ccmp-feature
>> (https://github.com/lualatex/luaotfload/issues/412)? Does it affect

> i don't follow all those lists

The original question was on the luatex list on 10. May ("Combining
diacritics in some fonts: "(linebreak): invalid list tail, probably
missing glue""). I then converted it to an issue for luaotfload.

>> context too or has it been resolved in its fontloader?

> i don't know ... i need a pure context example in order to check,
I tried to make one but didn't manage to reproduce the error --
perhaps because the problem doesn't exist in context or perhaps
because I didn't manage to reproduce/add the needed hyphenation
patterns.

--

@ 2017-05-19 16:20         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2017-05-19 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 5/19/2017 5:29 PM, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
> Am Fri, 19 May 2017 14:11:42 +0200 schrieb Hans Hagen:
>

>>> Thanks. Let's hope that luaotfload catch up and gets it too.
>
>> i suppose that it does catch up (not sure about the frequency, also
>> because after the current we now enter beta again)
>
> Currently it lags a bit behind.

ok, so you could test with the latest beta when available (i think you
did that before so it's doable)

>>> Did you saw the error message caused by the ccmp-feature
>>> (https://github.com/lualatex/luaotfload/issues/412)? Does it affect
>
>> i don't follow all those lists
>
> The original question was on the luatex list on 10. May ("Combining
> diacritics in some fonts: "(linebreak): invalid list tail, probably
> missing glue""). I then converted it to an issue for luaotfload.

ok, i don't follow such macro package specific issues (i don't have tex
live installed and would not know where to look / how to zoom in anyway)
.. normally someone comes up with a generic example

>>> context too or has it been resolved in its fontloader?
>
>> i don't know ... i need a pure context example in order to check,
> I tried to make one but didn't manage to reproduce the error --
> perhaps because the problem doesn't exist in context or perhaps
> because I didn't manage to reproduce/add the needed hyphenation
> patterns.

if it relates to patterns, then using \discretionary{}{}{} with
something in it should also fail .. maybe it eventually becomes some
disc node at the end of a list (can depend on the font)