* ConTeXt minimals installation problem
@ 2009-06-03 16:05 Michal Kvasnička
From: Michal Kvasnička @ 2009-06-03 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ConTeXt

Hallo, gentlemen.

I've just tried to install the latest stable ConTeXt minimals on my new
system (SuSE Linux 11.1). The system downloaded itself (via rsync) all
right, but it isn't able to create formats (MarkII; I don't know how to use
MarkIV). If I try run
     texexec --make --all
manually, I get this error:
     ...<TEXROOTDIR>/tex/texmf-linux-64/bin/mtxrun:8707: attempt to
concatenate a nil value

What am I doing wrong? How can I install it?

With many thanks yours
Michal Kvasnicka

* Re: ConTeXt minimals installation problem
@ 2009-06-08 19:41 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-06-08 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

2009/6/3 Michal Kvasnička wrote:
> Hallo, gentlemen.
>
> I've just tried to install the latest stable ConTeXt minimals on my new
> system (SuSE Linux 11.1). The system downloaded itself (via rsync) all
> right, but it isn't able to create formats (MarkII; I don't know how to use
> MarkIV). If I try run
>      texexec --make --all
> manually, I get this error:
>      ...<TEXROOTDIR>/tex/texmf-linux-64/bin/mtxrun:8707: attempt to
> concatenate a nil value

It's counter-intuitive, but I'm afraid that "stable" might be a bi
broken at the moment.

Hans has "recently" (for ConTeXt time scale that would be iron-age)
replaced some ruby scripts by lua scripts (texmfstart by mtxrun) and
now even mkii depends on luatex, but since we only provide a single
luatex binary at the moment, it either breaks current or beta. I
should have fixed that, but not now.

Possible solutions:
1.) just take the beta (easiest); most recent problems only affect
mkiv users; there are almost no changes in mkii, so you should be on
the safe side
2.) create a new texexec with "texmfstart texexec" instead of "mtxrun
texexec" and make sure that it comes first in path
3.) fetch an older luatex; there should be one at something like
http://minimals.contextgarden.net/current/bin/linux/luatex/beta-0.31.3/,
but the one for linux-64 is missing for unknown reason (the plan is to
fix it ...)

I didn't try any of the 2/3 options, I'm just blindly guessing.

Mojca

* Re: ConTeXt minimals installation problem
@ 2009-06-08 22:56   ` Mohamed Bana
From: Mohamed Bana @ 2009-06-08 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

here's how i did it (, if i remember correctly).

get a a luatex binary and dump it into the dir of the last command

  $ . ~/context.distro/tex/setuptex
  $ which luatex

does this work?

  svn cat
http://svn.contextgarden.net/minimals/bin/tex/linux-64/current/luatex/bin/luatex@030 >`which luatex`

see;
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/ConTeXt_Minimals#Reverting_to_an_older_installation

I use

  ConTeXt - 2008.10.31 13:58

so in my case it's

  sh ./first-setup.sh --context=2008.10.31

you might want to look at the thread i started;
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.context/49826/focus=49831.

good luck.

@ 2009-06-09 21:53   ` Maurí­cio
From: Maurí­cio @ 2009-06-09 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

> It's counter-intuitive, but I'm afraid that "stable" might be a bi
> broken at the moment.

I didn't find discussion on that on the list, so I think it
is not bad to ask: has context considered these "new fashion"
version control systems?

I've been using these for a few months (darcs and, recently,
mercurial), and I can tell it's really worth, although I
don't know if developers do have time to try or plan such kind
of switch.

Best,
Maurício

* Re: ConTeXt minimals installation problem
@ 2009-06-20 14:09     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-06-20 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 23:53, Maurí­cio wrote:
>> It's counter-intuitive, but I'm afraid that "stable" might be a bi
>> broken at the moment.
>
> I didn't find discussion on that on the list, so I think it
> is not bad to ask: has context considered these "new fashion"
> version control systems?
>
> I've been using these for a few months (darcs and, recently,
> mercurial), and I can tell it's really worth, although I
> don't know if developers do have time to try or plan such kind
> of switch.

The very first plan was to make everything based on svn. The problem
is that svn is still very very limited. I was experimenting with
darcs, but didn't have enough knowledge about it, and darcs consumes
twice the space needed if I remember correctly, so that was somehow
ruled out before I even started thinking ...

I wanted to have one special kind of functionality, namely, being able
to choose which modules to install, which engines to install, which
fonts to install etc. SVN doesn't offer that. Darcs does with some
clever trickery, but see above.

We did consider ... but didn't have the right idea about the exact
inplementation. Also, I didn't expect so serious problems with version
mismatches. ConTeXt will soon be available with all beta versions as a
git repository, but we would have to put everything else into some
repository as well.

Mojca

* Re: ConTeXt minimals installation problem
@ 2009-06-20 15:31       ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2009-06-20 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 20 Jun 2009, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> I wanted to have one special kind of functionality, namely, being able
> to choose which modules to install, which engines to install, which
> fonts to install etc. SVN doesn't offer that.

Hello Mojca,

SVN supports sparse directories¹. Perhaps this can solve the problem.

¹ http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.advanced.sparsedirs.html

Cheers, Peter

--
Contact information: http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

* Re: ConTeXt minimals installation problem
       [not found] <mailman.1.1245578402.5922.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2009-06-21 12:16 ` Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky
From: Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky @ 2009-06-21 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello Mojca,

Under Windows, I can create an installer that will allow selecting components to install. Just point me pathes to everything.

Vyatcheslav