From: Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>
To: "Hans Åberg" <haberg-1@telia.com>
Subject: Re: Choosing STIX stylistic sets
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2017 19:15:11 +0200	[thread overview]

On 4/16/2017 6:01 PM, Hans Åberg wrote:

>>> This is complicated, it seems: The STIX2Math font does not have the text support that STIX has, so one might want a virtual font, or set the math font independently (I could find any info about that on ConTeXtGarden).
>>
>> there is no real text support in math fonts ... it's alphabets ... the fact that one shares e.g. a textfont in math mode with a regular text font outside math is something traditional tex (and more a font design and macro package issue that an engine thing)
>
> So far I have only used \setupbodyfont[xits,10pt], but found no info about how to specifically selecting fonts for the different modes or ranges.

\setupbodyfont[termes]
\setupbodyfont[pagella]
\setupbodyfont[bonum]

on windows (cambria is the opentype reference fonmt for math):

\setupbodyfont[cambria]

or when you bought lucida ot:

\setupbodyfont[lucidaot]

all have math

>> just use a text font .. why does texinfo needs a math font? only for math i assume
>
> Right, and writing the Unicode math characters in the UTF-8 source file, in part because they will be also used as such in the source code of a program. One can otherwise embed formulas using traditional TeX syntax.

it's a bit more complex in the tex world: users are accustomed to seeing
the a in $a$ becoming a math italic a and $\bf a$ getting a bold a ..
both are in the unicode math alphabet so a macro package has to support
both these switch driven inputs and direct unicode math (also because
cut and paste from a pdf should work)

(the way macro packages implement that can be fundamental different)

(there is a font project under way that will provide monospaced math
characters for editing)

>>> Also, in script/calligraphic, STIX2 seems to have is the other way around relative stix-two-math.lfg: setting the feature 'ss01' yields the traditional English script style, whereas the default is the AMS calligraphic style.
>>
>> that's also a design issue
>
> Not anymore, perhaps, as some mathematicians seem to think of them as different semantic styles.

if so, then that will be reflected in unicode alphabets (just make a
string case for it)

>>> On most other features, the STIX2 default seems to what I think of as traditional.
>>
>> personally i'd never use stix for something
>
> I used STIX because it came around, and, also, the AMS has been involved. It good there are other fonts, though.

finally came around .. but it's not a pretty font

>> (one can use texgyre pagella or termes)
>
> What is the advantage of those?

a palatino based font looks imo better than stix

(as open type font they are around a bit longer and we have a bit more
influence on their development)

Hans