* mkii to mkiv - what an ancient user needs to know
@ 2019-06-12  3:22 Duncan Hothersall
From: Duncan Hothersall @ 2019-06-12  3:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi all.

Long-time user but haven't posted in a long while...

After many happy years of running a mkii set up I am finally facing the
fact that time has moved on and upgrading to mkiv.

I understand the biggest change needed to my sources is in the fonts
handling, but I am getting a few other problems with things like
chapter/sectioning setups that I can't see mentioned in
https://www.contextgarden.net/MkIV_Differences

I was wondering if there exists a comprehensive "what you have to change in
your sources to move from mkii to mkiv" document anywhere or, failing that,
if anyone can offer guidance on what has changed in the chapter/sectioning
setups code between the two.

Apologies for not supplying an example of code - I'm not yet at the point
that that's possible.

Any help much appreciated. And hello to anyone who remembers me from
fifteen plus years ago!

Duncan

* Re: mkii to mkiv - what an ancient user needs to know
@ 2019-06-12  7:07 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2019-06-12  7:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 6/12/2019 5:22 AM, Duncan Hothersall wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> Long-time user but haven't posted in a long while...
> **
>
> After many happy years of running a mkii set up I am finally facing the
> fact that time has moved on and upgrading to mkiv.
>
> I understand the biggest change needed to my sources is in the fonts
> handling, but I am getting a few other problems with things like
> chapter/sectioning setups that I can't see mentioned in
> https://www.contextgarden.net/MkIV_Differences
>
> I was wondering if there exists a comprehensive "what you have to change
> in your sources to move from mkii to mkiv" document anywhere or, failing
> that, if anyone can offer guidance on what has changed in the
> chapter/sectioning setups code between the two.
>
> Apologies for not supplying an example of code - I'm not yet at the
> point that that's possible.
>
> Any help much appreciated. And hello to anyone who remembers me from
> fifteen plus years ago!
Do you get errors? There should be no real fundamental differences
betwene mkii and mmkiv wrt the interfac, but because font encodings are
gone and input is utf8 by default that might need to be changed.
Structure has more options. I think the biggest conceptual change in the
setups has been the way footnotes are configured. Of course there are
new commands too.

So, a small example triggering the issue would help,

Hans

ps. Of course the biggest change is that luatex is used instead of
pdftex/xetex.

* Re: mkii to mkiv - what an ancient user needs to know
@ 2019-06-12  8:32   ` Duncan Hothersall
From: Duncan Hothersall @ 2019-06-12  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Hans, that's good to know. I was seeing issues which seemed to be
related to setupheader statements using command=, which are in heavy use in
our system because we use this to externalise styles. But it could easily
have been something font-related left in some of the commands.

I will work on a minimal example over the next few days and - if I don't
solve it myself in the process - I'll post it.

Thanks again,

Duncan

@ 2019-06-12 14:22     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2019-06-12 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Duncan Hothersall,

On 6/12/2019 10:32 AM, Duncan Hothersall wrote:
> Thanks Hans, that's good to know. I was seeing issues which seemed to be
> related to setupheader statements using command=, which are in heavy use
> in our system because we use this to externalise styles. But it could
> easily have been something font-related left in some of the commands.
>
> I will work on a minimal example over the next few days and - if I don't
> solve it myself in the process - I'll post it.
sometimes if you define you rown macros, like

   \def\foo{...}

you should use

   \unexpanded\def\foo{...}

Hans