* coloring the logfile
@ 2019-08-28 19:54 Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2019-08-28 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NTG ConTeXt

Is it possible to force lines  written in the log with \writestatus to have a specific color? The log can be very substantial and it would be nice to have some lines brought to attention by a different color.

dr. Hans van der Meer

* Re: coloring the logfile
@ 2019-08-29  5:35 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2019-08-29  5:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 2019-08-28 um 21:54 schrieb Hans van der Meer <havdmeer@ziggo.nl>:
>
> Is it possible to force lines  written in the log with \writestatus to have a specific color? The log can be very substantial and it would be nice to have some lines brought to attention by a different color.

As a text file, the log can’t have colors.

Only the output to your terminal could have ANSI color codes.
I’d welcome this, too, but then we need additional configuration, color breaks easily on some shells, the feature should adhere to the usual shell variables etc. Don’t know it it would be worth the effort.

Greetlings, Hraban
---
https://www.fiee.net
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
https://www.dreiviertelhaus.de
GPG Key ID 1C9B22FD

* Re: coloring the logfile
@ 2019-08-29  7:39   ` Henri Menke
From: Henri Menke @ 2019-08-29  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 29/08/19 5:35 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:

>> Am 2019-08-28 um 21:54 schrieb Hans van der Meer <havdmeer@ziggo.nl>:
>>
>> Is it possible to force lines  written in the log with \writestatus to have a specific color? The log can be very substantial and it would be nice to have some lines brought to attention by a different color.
>
> As a text file, the log can’t have colors.
>
> Only the output to your terminal could have ANSI color codes.
> I’d welcome this, too, but then we need additional configuration, color breaks easily on some shells, the feature should adhere to the usual shell variables etc. Don’t know it it would be worth the effort.

This will need engine support but is in principle dead easy.

#include <unistd.h>

if (isatty(fileno(stdout))) {
    // color
} else {
    // no color
}

> Greetlings, Hraban
> ---
> https://www.fiee.net
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net
> https://www.dreiviertelhaus.de
> GPG Key ID 1C9B22FD

* Re: coloring the logfile
@ 2019-08-29  8:25     ` Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2019-08-29  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NTG ConTeXt

> On 29/08/19 5:35 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
> This will need engine support but is in principle dead easy.

So it seems doable if someone is willing to provide the engine support. I sincerely hope it will be done. With many thanks, of course.

dr. Hans van der Meer

> On 29 Aug 2019, at 09:39, Henri Menke <henrimenke@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On 29/08/19 5:35 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
>>
>>> Am 2019-08-28 um 21:54 schrieb Hans van der Meer <havdmeer@ziggo.nl>:
>>>
>>> Is it possible to force lines  written in the log with \writestatus to have a specific color? The log can be very substantial and it would be nice to have some lines brought to attention by a different color.
>>
>> As a text file, the log can’t have colors.
>>
>> Only the output to your terminal could have ANSI color codes.
>> I’d welcome this, too, but then we need additional configuration, color breaks easily on some shells, the feature should adhere to the usual shell variables etc. Don’t know it it would be worth the effort.
>
> This will need engine support but is in principle dead easy.
>
> #include <unistd.h>
>
> if (isatty(fileno(stdout))) {
>    // color
> } else {
>    // no color
> }
>

>> Greetlings, Hraban
>> ---
>> https://www.fiee.net
>> http://wiki.contextgarden.net
>> https://www.dreiviertelhaus.de
>> GPG Key ID 1C9B22FD

* Re: coloring the logfile
@ 2019-08-29  8:58       ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2019-08-29  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

FWIW: ConTeXt can already do colours on the terminal:

   context —ansi myfile.tex

(but that currently results in an empty log, I think because there is no
separation)

Since the engine internals know and expose the difference between terminal
and log file already, it is quite possible to split the lua messaging code
into separate 'log' and 'term’ cases, if desired. There is no need to patch
the engine for that, just some extra lua code that Hans has to be willing to
write/include.

However, if support for redirect of stdout is needed (because in that case
the ’term’ in internal TeX speak is not really a terminal), then isatty()
needs to be exposed to Lua in one way or another.

If you want color in the actual log, then someone has to rewrite the log
reporting lua code to generate RTF or HTML. Should technically be doable
as well...

BTW, it is not safe to assume that all ttys actually support ansi colours
(remote terminals quite often do not), so a command-line switch would still
be needed.

Best wishes,
Taco

> On 29 Aug 2019, at 10:25, Hans van der Meer <havdmeer@ziggo.nl> wrote:
>
>> On 29/08/19 5:35 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
>> This will need engine support but is in principle dead easy.
>
> So it seems doable if someone is willing to provide the engine support. I sincerely hope it will be done. With many thanks, of course.

> dr. Hans van der Meer

>>> As a text file, the log can’t have colors.
>>>
>>> Only the output to your terminal could have ANSI color codes.
>>> I’d welcome this, too, but then we need additional configuration, color breaks easily on some shells, the feature should adhere to the usual shell variables etc. Don’t know it it would be worth the effort.
>>
>> This will need engine support but is in principle dead easy.
>>
>> #include <unistd.h>
>>
>> if (isatty(fileno(stdout))) {
>>    // color
>> } else {
>>    // no color
>> }
>>

>>> Greetlings, Hraban
>>> ---
>>> https://www.fiee.net
>>> http://wiki.contextgarden.net
>>> https://www.dreiviertelhaus.de
>>> GPG Key ID 1C9B22FD

Taco Hoekwater
Elvenkind BV

* Re: coloring the logfile
@ 2019-08-29 23:37         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2019-08-29 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 8/29/2019 10:58 AM, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> Hi,
>
> FWIW: ConTeXt can already do colours on the terminal:
>
>     context —ansi myfile.tex
>
> (but that currently results in an empty log, I think because there is no
> separation)

probably, i forgot the details (in the middle of somethign else so it
has to wait) and i have disabled ansi in the console so i need to set
that up

> Since the engine internals know and expose the difference between terminal
> and log file already, it is quite possible to split the lua messaging code
> into separate 'log' and 'term’ cases, if desired. There is no need to patch
> the engine for that, just some extra lua code that Hans has to be willing to
> write/include.
>
> However, if support for redirect of stdout is needed (because in that case
> the ’term’ in internal TeX speak is not really a terminal), then isatty()
> needs to be exposed to Lua in one way or another.

sure btu the problem is that it adds a some overhead as we then have to
'generate' two messages, one for the console an done for the log

> If you want color in the actual log, then someone has to rewrite the log
> reporting lua code to generate RTF or HTML. Should technically be doable
> as well...

that was actually one of the first things done (decade old code), i.e.
context can launch a browser on an error or after a run but i gave up on
using it because there is no way to update automatically so one ends up
with numerous tabs

> BTW, it is not safe to assume that all ttys actually support ansi colours
> (remote terminals quite often do not), so a command-line switch would still
> be needed.
i did the ansi as a gimmick and never use it (it is also slower)

Hans

* Re: coloring the logfile
@ 2019-08-29 23:38         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2019-08-29 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 8/29/2019 10:58 AM, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> Hi,
>
> FWIW: ConTeXt can already do colours on the terminal:
>
>     context —ansi myfile.tex
>
> (but that currently results in an empty log, I think because there is no
> separation)
btw, i always run in the editor and there is no ansi in the log pane

* Re: coloring the logfile
@ 2019-08-30  0:30           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2019-08-30  0:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 8/30/2019 1:37 AM, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 8/29/2019 10:58 AM, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> FWIW: ConTeXt can already do colours on the terminal:
>>
>>     context —ansi myfile.tex
>>
>> (but that currently results in an empty log, I think because there is no
>> separation)
ok, in next beta:

--ansilog

pipes ansi to console and log and strips ansi from the log afterwards
which is quite efficient (more than some complex and slower dual code
path for a fancy feature)

Hans