Wolfgang, Below is what I think is the bare minimum to explain this question (sorry for not doing it right from the beginning...) As I said, with the code as it is below, the header is not repeated after the first page, but the table is in the right place. Replacing "split=yes" by "split=repeat" makes the header repeat correctly but puts the beginning of the table on the next page, leaving the first page nearly completely blank. In both cases, the "header=repeat" setting has no influence at all on the behaviour and can be omitted without changing the results. As I read in some other posts, sometimes putting the table in a float can help, so I tried this (by removing the 3 "%" in the code below), but there seems to be a conflict with the figure in the page header, and it stops with an error message. However, replacing the figure in the page header by a normal text suddenly solves the problem: putting "split" in the setupfloat and "header=repeat" in the setupxtable gives me a table with repeated headers that starts exactly where I want it to start. Apparently in this case, the "headers=repeat" is necessary. Unfortunately, I need a company logo up in the page header, which is what causes the error for which I have no explanation. btw: I am using context standalone version: 2020.01.30 14:13 ===================================================== \setuppapersize[A4, landscape] \setuplayout[location=middle, width=27.5cm, height=18cm, backspace=1cm,header=4cm] \setupcaptions[location=none] \setupbackgrounds[header][text][background={Logos}, state=repeat] \defineoverlay [Logos][{ \framed[width=\textwidth, height=3cm, align=right, strut=no, offset=none]{ \framed[width=0.280\textwidth,height=3cm,align=right,] {\placefigure[force][]{none}{\externalfigure[somepic.png][height=1.9cm]} } \framed[width=0.430\textwidth,height=3cm,align=middle] {sometext in the middle} \framed[width=0.270\textwidth, height=3cm, align=middle]{sometext on the right} } }] %\setupfloat[table][default={force,split}] \setupxtable[ option=stretch,split=repeat,header=repeat,align=middle] \setupxtable[head][background=color,backgroundcolor=gray,foregroundcolor=red] \starttext Some lines of text. This text must come just before the table, but only on the first page of the table \def\onerow{ \startxrow \startxcell first \stopxcell \startxcell second \stopxcell \startxcell third \stopxcell \startxcell fourth \stopxcell \startxcell fifth \stopxcell \startxcell sixth \stopxcell \stopxrow} %\startplacetable \startxtable \startxtablehead[head] \onerow \stopxtablehead \startxtablebody \dorecurse{40}{\onerow} \stopxtablebody \stopxtable %\stopplacetable \stoptext